ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oldest game you still play?

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Delta Force: Black Hawk Down? I worked on that back in the early 2000's! :)(y)
Unfortunately I never played that one, I played the original, not sure why I never continued with the rest of them, most probably because Gran Turismo came out on the PS1 and that was the death to all other games to me [emoji23]

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Rookie mistake last night, old games don't have autosave 😭. Few hours of progress, gone!
Got a couple of games that I've been done-over with a similar issue. I just assume these days that most games have inbuilt Steam Cloud support for the saved progress....... and that frustration you get when you realise it hasn't!

Similarly, I've reinstalled some games that I haven't played for several years and have been surprised to see the 'Continue' option lit up. When I go into it, it can be a saved game from 2013 or something that Steam Cloud has downloaded already.

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Over the past few days I've gone back to modding GTA SA on the laptop, having a bit of fun with the 'built in Zmodeler' Tuning Mod V3, makes car tuning very interesting

Clio
all I play is old stuff now .

my PS4 does my head in ! constant updates

anyone know where I can get a new PS3 pad from as mine is dead as a door nail ?

I keep my PSP in the car for breakdowns or waiting around for the wife and kids

oldest game I play is mario kart 1 probably

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Noticed that OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe) has now been added to Steam.

Brings back many memories from uni days, that. :)
Spent sooo many hours on OTTD! Absolutely loved all of the new vehicle/graphic packs you could grab from tt forums, think that community is still very active.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Championship manager 01/02

Although with updated teams and leagues...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I regularly play the classic stuff on the Switch - old Marios, Pilotwings etc

I have the original Metal Gear games emulated too, so they get played every few years if there's nothing new out!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Spent sooo many hours on OTTD! Absolutely loved all of the new vehicle/graphic packs you could grab from tt forums, think that community is still very active.
Still a very active community from what I can gather, which is massively impressive for a game that's heading towards being 30 years old.

I think they just got a lot of simple ideas nailed from the get-go. The original TT was a little bit silly in that you could cut off the AI player(s) in their tracks (literally) - by seeing their slow progression of laying a track across a section of map. Lay a length of track across its path and the AI would jus stop - not having any clue as to what to do, be it rerouting the track or digging it back up. It made it stupidly easy to 'cheat' and block any expansion idea that the AI was having.

When the Deluxe version came out, things had improved quite a bit. Even firing up OTTD at the weekend brought back many good times from uni - huddled in a back bedroom around one PC monitor in the mid-90s, trying to financially fcuk-over the AI opposition in anyway that we could think of. :)

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Still a very active community from what I can gather, which is massively impressive for a game that's heading towards being 30 years old.

I think they just got a lot of simple ideas nailed from the get-go. The original TT was a little bit silly in that you could cut off the AI player(s) in their tracks (literally) - by seeing their slow progression of laying a track across a section of map. Lay a length of track across its path and the AI would jus stop - not having any clue as to what to do, be it rerouting the track or digging it back up. It made it stupidly easy to 'cheat' and block any expansion idea that the AI was having.

When the Deluxe version came out, things had improved quite a bit. Even firing up OTTD at the weekend brought back many good times from uni - huddled in a back bedroom around one PC monitor in the mid-90s, trying to financially fcuk-over the AI opposition in anyway that we could think of. :)
It's funny because I don't think I ever played a 'competitive' game of TT against the AI at all. I never really played the original from what I can remember, just TT Deluxe.

My enjoyment from the game was just taking a huge blank map full of industries and towns, loading up a unique track/vehicle/buildings pack, starting in the 1930s and slowly building a vast rail network and as time went on slowly upgrade/expand to cover a much of the map as possible. I tried to go for realism more than efficiency, and even modelled networks off real life layouts too.

I would usually get to around 2000-2010 before deciding to reset with a different map type (desert or America for example) and start all over again 😂.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Downloaded Metal Gear Solid last night, probably my all-time favourite game.

Some guy on Reddit has done a PC-native version, it works really well!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I remember playing that years ago, you could sign a player called Ni Lamptey or something, he would score 5 goals a season.
Pfft he wouldn’t be fit to lace my waterboy’s boots tbh mate

Screenshot (10).png

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Sega rally on my Saturn and Final Fantasy VII on my PS, play both still fair bit

SCJM21

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Jesus that brings back proper memories. Isn't that the one where you have a small team of soldiers each with unique specialities? I forgot that game ever existed!

Reactions: riz

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Jesus that brings back proper memories. Isn't that the one where you have a small team of soldiers each with unique specialities? I forgot that game ever existed!
That's the one (y) They also made a remastered version of Commandos 2 last year which I've not got round to trying yet.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm currently playing through Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines which I only ever played as a demo in 1998.
Such a good game, I think I'm going to give Shadow Tactics a go once I've completed this as it seems a very similar style of gameplay.
If you like the gameplay of Commandos, then Shadow Tactics will be right up you street.

Another one is Desperados III which puts it all into a cowboy & Western setting. There's a free demo on Steam to download as well - I played that through and really enjoyed it.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
If you like the gameplay of Commandos, then Shadow Tactics will be right up you street.

Another one is Desperados III which puts it all into a cowboy & Western setting. There's a free demo on Steam to download as well - I played that through and really enjoyed it.
I have Desperados, but not 3. It's in my huge list of Steam games that I've never gotten around to playing. I'll definitely be giving Shadow Tactics a go soon though.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Been playing through Halo Reach. Absolutely love it. Whilst it doesn’t feature THE Spartan, it’s a great campaign and a great back story.

Clio
Downloaded Medal of Honour Airborne on game pass on the weekend. What a brilliant game.

This is how games should be, pistol, rifle, machine gun and some grenades with a good campaign mode.

Then watched my daughter playing Apex and wondered when FPS went wrong, She then went on to tell me how she liked Apex as it was more realistic than Fortnite. At which point I got confused where I missed the part of life where teleporting, invisibility and all that s**t got invented.

Whats the modern equivalent of Medal of Honour?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Downloaded Medal of Honour Airborne on game pass on the weekend. What a brilliant game.

This is how games should be, pistol, rifle, machine gun and some grenades with a good campaign mode.

Then watched my daughter playing Apex and wondered when FPS went wrong, She then went on to tell me how she liked Apex as it was more realistic than Fortnite. At which point I got confused where I missed the part of life where teleporting, invisibility and all that s**t got invented.

Whats the modern equivalent of Medal of Honour?
That was probably my favourite of the MoH series - think I played it through at least three or four times.

That last section where you attack the Flaktower and work your way up. Great stuff.

As you say, simple, limited kit often makes for a much better game to play.

Clio
That was probably my favourite of the MoH series - think I played it through at least three or four times.

That last section where you attack the Flaktower and work your way up. Great stuff.

As you say, simple, limited kit often makes for a much better game to play.
I'm on mission 3 at the moment, nothing more satisfying than sneaking up behind the tank with the M18. I dropped my Sniper for the M18 though and can't find it now. I'm pretty limited without it.

One thing I have noticed is how far the enemy AI has come on over the years. They just have set patterns they repeat over and over. Run, hide shoot, run back, hide shoot, run, hide shoot between two locations.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Funny this thread popped up. Just found out yesterday that Halo 3's servers shut down just a couple of weeks ago?
Absolutely gutted, can't believe I didn't hear about it, would've 100000% booted up the old 360 and played a few rounds online. f**king loved that game.