ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ollie's Silver Cup - JMS RS2/Wilwood/2118

Ollie's Silver Cup
Re: Iceberg 172 Cup Project

De-cat is now on and I'm very impressed by it. It's something that I've been meaning/wanting to do since I bought the exhaust months ago, but just never got around to it until now.

Instantly the car feels so much smoother; it also seems to pull better. It's made a bigger difference than I imagined and expected it would.

Have a couple of under car photos of exhaust and de-cat and a short video; love the noise and rasp :evil:

5396162366_59b54876fb_z.jpg

5395565071_91df9e37a0_z.jpg

And the obligatory short video of the exhaust sound; it's quite a bit louder with the decat but I love the sound it makes!

You can probably see from the first photo from the backbox end of the system, the rear hanger is truly and utterly f**ked! That was bought new along with the stealth exhaust, so it's less than a year old; the rubber section is close to completely ripping apart. :dapprove:

Last edited by a moderator:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Looking and sounding good, I'm currently waiting for my 182 to 172 Decat link pipe to arrive, will be swapping it over for the Sport Cat when it arrives :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

Looking and sounding good, I'm currently waiting for my 182 to 172 Decat link pipe to arrive, will be swapping it over for the Sport Cat when it arrives :)

Do you find the 182 manifold makes much difference? I've looked at them a couple of times when I've seen them at reasonable prices on eBay. :)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Do you find the 182 manifold makes much difference? I've looked at them a couple of times when I've seen them at reasonable prices on eBay. :)

More torque less power, dropped 3bhp fitting it but gained 8lbft torque (IIRC I don't have the RR printout handy)

It's not worth doing unless you get the manifold cheap (I did, under £100) and can fit it yourself (sub frame drop)

The torque gain aside, as I am sure you found today if you fitted the Decat yourself the 172 CAT is a c**t to swap out… the 182 Manifold has added bonus of allowing the job to be done in 15 min as the CAT is now further down the system under the car.

CLIO PH1 172

thats a better video lol sounds really good ! sorry if iv missed it but what decat is that?

Ollie's Silver Cup

The torque gain aside, as I am sure you found today if you fitted the Decat yourself the 172 CAT is a c**t to swap out… the 182 Manifold has added bonus of allowing the job to be done in 15 min as the CAT is now further down the system under the car.

I noticed that, with the 182 manifold finishing slightly further down the body the car it would make the cat swapping a much easier job!

Having said that, MOT is once a year, so it's not the end of the world.

If I see one cheap on eBay again (around the £100 mark) I'll probably snap it up. I'm sure, even if I decided not to use it, it could be sold on easily enough.

thats a better video lol sounds really good ! sorry if iv missed it but what decat is that?

It's the KTR one (made by JanSpeed) :)

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2034&appid=2

Last edited:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I noticed that, with the 182 manifold finishing slightly further down the body the car it would make the cat swapping a much easier job!

Having said that, MOT is once a year, so it's not the end of world.

It is the end of the world for me with my MOT's in early January Lol

To cold to be pissing about with fiddly jobs, it was bad enough having to do a sidelight bulb in the cold without having to clamber about under the car for to long ;)

Ollie's Silver Cup

It is the end of the world for me with my MOT's in early January Lol

To cold to be pissing about with fiddly jobs, it was bad enough having to do a sidelight bulb in the cold without having to clamber about under the car for to long ;)

Mine's in September, so it's not so bad, but it would still be nice if it was a bit more convenient to swap them over. :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

Couple of photos, which have already been posted elsewhere on the site, but I'll pop them in here aswell as I think they're the most up to date regarding the wheel/hub/brake look;

5384250095_dee12a74a3_z.jpg

5384854066_7876b7a173_z.jpg

If I can't get a polarised locking bolt soon, I think I'll settle for a black one. It's got to look better than the existing one.

Renaultsport Clio 172

^^^ Mate, I found the same, 182 mani gave more torque through out the range, but doesn't seem to be as eager at top end as it did with the original mani, however, it isn't mapped for it. I asked Henk and said map would need adjusting and we are in the process of adjusting the calibration, I think with this I'll get both, more torque elsewere and at least same topend, also the engine maked a raspier note, but in a good way. It is worth it if you source it cheap (I didn't :().

Ollie's Silver Cup

I don't think I'd bother with it unless I could find one very cheap, it's more for the convenience of swapping the cat in and out tbh.

Yesterday, after a week of hardish driving, the car was given a quick clean to get it looking good again!

I used Muc-Off ubershine for the first time and was very impressed with the results; I've wrote a more detailed review in the 'detailing' section of the forum: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?557520-Muc-Off-Ubershine

5401202514_f77b416874_z.jpg

This morning, however, a bit more of the steering wheel thumb grip decided to come away, leaving it looking even more of a mess! This seems like as good a time as any to start looking at aftermarket replacements; I like to keep the car looking tidy and the current wheel really lets it down. :dead:

5403606315_dcff38d283_z.jpg

I do quite like the chunkiness of the wheel, but ideally want something a bit smaller; I don't think there's any aftermarket wheels like that, without straying into tasteless s**t.

So, that leaves me with a few popular choices :eek:

The Sabelt RenaultSport wheel, which seems an even better option given the price Wests Renault are selling them for as part of the ongoing group buy.

A 300-330mm Omp flat wheel; I've always liked these and people never seem to have any issues with them.

And finally, a newer 197/200 RS wheel. I've had a little read up on them and it seems they can go on with little to no additional work. It's just the size of them (the same as my current wheel, I believe?) that puts me off.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I think they're slightly smaller the newer wheels, I like the look of them.

I also like the Sabelt wheels but I reckon they'll be bollocked soon enough!

Ollie's Silver Cup

A couple of things putting me off the 197/200 wheel are apparently there's a bit that catches and from what I've read it won't auto-correct itself.

I think it will be the popular Sabelt choice, especially at that price.

Lies. 197 wheel is 100% fine, the 200 wheel however has the slighest difference in the length of the metal tabs that run into the column / yaw & steering angle sensor.

My old motor:

wheel2.JPG

Ollie's Silver Cup

Lies. 197 wheel is 100% fine, the 200 wheel however has the slighest difference in the length of the metal tabs that run into the column / yaw & steering angle sensor.

That looks great! Not made my decision process any easier, Tom :approve:

So, in that respect, the 197 is a straight forward swap! Was there anything else needed regards the airbag?

It's difficult to tell from photos if they're any smaller in size (diameter wise) than the 1*2 ones.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

I drove Matt Wills car with the 197 wheel fitted and it's much nicer than 172 wheel. It didn't feel like it was that much smaller though.

Ollie's Silver Cup

It appears the 197 wheel (without airbag I guess) is available for £155 from Renault.

Description as such;

Renaultsport steering wheel with red centreband
Ergonomic steering wheel in soft perforated leather
Renaultsport logo on satin chrome insert
Compatible with all non-Renaultsport versions of Clio (2006 versions onwards)
CAUTION: For safety reasons, this accessory must be fitted by a Renault dealer

Part Number: 7711 421 172
Price: £155.00

I'm assuming that, although it's listed as an accessory for non-RS mk3 Clios, this is the 197 wheel the same as Tom, Matt Wills, etc have used? :)

* Edited to add * Tom, I've just found your thread about the 197 wheel, interesting read. :D

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS

197 wheel looks nice :) Think the sabelt is a better option if you can get hold of one, but as you seem a tad pernickety I'd stay away as they wear quite badly ;)

Ollie's Silver Cup

197 wheel looks nice :) Think the sabelt is a better option if you can get hold of one, but as you seem a tad pernickety I'd stay away as they wear quite badly ;)

Wests Renault have an ongoing/rolling group buy at present; £117 for the Sabelt. :approve:

lol you're probably right. It would annoy me if it began to wear quickly, which I imagine it would.

It's well worth getting one, feels so much nicer! Glad I got it done :)

Going from the photo Tom posted on the previous page, they look fantastic. It's exactly what I was looking for really.

£155 for the wheel isn't bad at all considering it's from Renault, it's just the cost of the airbag/centre that will bump up the price. :dapprove:

Ollie's Silver Cup

Royal Mail just delivered my new RenaultSport mats, which I bought as part of the Wests Renault group buy.

Fantastic service, I ordered/paid yesterday and they arrived today! :D

5407800450_879198a0b2_z.jpg

Ollie's Silver Cup

Well seeing how the Sabelt wheels are now no longer available, I think that's really decided it for me; I'll be going down the 197 wheel route.

Regarding the airbag's from the non-RS models, that was my thinking too. As Renault sell the 197 design wheel as an accessory for all non-RS mk3 Clio's, I was thinking that they must share the same airbag setup.

Once the RS2 is completed, fitted and mapped, I'll crack on with sorting the wheel swap. ;)

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on eBay incase one happens to come up at a nice price.

Ollie's Silver Cup

I've just completed the fun task of measuring the diameter of the silicone coolant hoses to order the right size hose clips; I was surprised at how quickly the cost of them adds up! :(

I had a number of of mild steel/zinc coated jobbies sitting around, but wanted to use stainless steel for the forge kit.

I used a website called AP Motor Store in the end and ordered a number of stainless steel hose clips, which was about the best price I could find for buying small quantities. Hopefully they'll be here sometime this week anyway. :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

While out and about this morning, I decided to take a bit of a de-tour and give the car a bit of a run.

So impressed with the de-cat, I wish I had put one on sooner; the car seems to pull so much easier/better, really feels like a free flowing system now. Also, the noise of the SS stealth is so much better with it too!

Hose clips should be with me tomorrow, which is good! Will just have to double check I've ordered and received the correct sizes. :eek:

Just a quick photo from on the way back home today, thought it looked pretty good in this shot, so throwing it up;

5409744907_f554bc2ef4_z.jpg

Ollie's Silver Cup

Hey mate, when the clips arrive can you let me know what the size you got :)

From measuring the hoses diameters this is what I ordered;

3x 16-22mm
2x 32-45mm
2x 22-30mm
2x 30-40mm
2x 25-35mm
2x 35-50mm

For the lot is was £13.71 + VAT and delivery, so not too bad at all. The problem I found with most places was that you had to buy quantities of 5 or 10, but this place you can buy single items if you wish. :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

As I've had the nice surprise of an unexpected week off work, I've had time during the day to get a couple of little jobs done. For a while, I've wanted to remove the fog lights and run ducting to the front wheel arches for the brakes.

I made a start on that earlier today. I'll continue tomorrow with attaching the ducting/hose, but for now, I'm happy with how it's looking; gives the front end a more aggressive look imo.

5410190311_563c005af6_z.jpg

5410799150_fd29e3a628_z.jpg

5410190081_339de8a4df_z.jpg

Mk1 Focus RS

what ducting have you bought and are you going to put a duct/cone in the hole ?

also tried you tyre shine trick on my samco hoses and it worked a treat, and using the Meg's stuff they smell nice too. :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

I'll just be using the black flexible ducting type hose, similar to this type of stuff; http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Perfo...ucting/Revotec_Flexible_Ducting_Hose/864/3538

It won't be a cone, just attach the ducting to the back of the plastic fog light surround and then cut through the front arch liner :)

I'm going to give my silicone hoses another going over with it, then it'll have a good couple of layers of it on ready for going on the car.

Ollie's Silver Cup

I wasn't going to, but that is a good point actually lol! I have a feeling the carbon canister is going to be sitting in the way of my ducting :dapprove:

I've got a section of nimbus heat shield on the way, so hopefully there will be enough left to knock something up!