ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ollie's Silver Cup - JMS RS2/Wilwood/2118

Ollie's Silver Cup
Re: Iceberg 172 Cup Project

I may just leave it in the garage then and get a lift to work then! :)

Wouldn't want to cause any further problems/damage :(

Ollie's Silver Cup

Cheers, mate.

I'm hoping it's the same problem Dave had, in which case it's a free fix! :)

The only thing I can't understand is why it runs perfect once the engine's warm :S

Ollie's Silver Cup
I've just had to drive it to work, exactly the same problem this morning.

Gutless Subaru sounding under 3k and some backfiring, although not quite as bad as yesterday. Again, once the engine was warmed up a bit, the problem dissapeared.

If it was water/liquid in the plug wells, could that explain why the problem disappears when the engines warm? Could any liquid be evaporating in the well when warm and then condensing again when it cools down and sitting around the plug?

Clio 172

Mine has recently done this, plug leads were perished and cracked. Changed them and the low down misfire, pops n bangs all disappeared

Ollie's Silver Cup

It seems the symptoms/problems my car has are exactly the same as Dave posted about, with regards to water being in a plug well. Even down to the problem going away when the engine warmed up (and the water evaporating up) and then coming back when cooled down (water condensing and running back down to the plug well). So, fingers crossed, it's an easy and quick fix on Thursday.

On a lighter note, I'm just about to order a mocal alloy oil catch tank, ready for use alongside the JMS RS2 manifold, instead of the breather filter :) I like the idea of them and they look pretty tasty imo!

There should be enough room to mount it at the side of the battery, on the black bar/brace that runs by the battery.

moc_oil-cat-tnk-1l-bs.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

this thread alway leaves me silver cup hunting :eek:

Really do like it, hope you sort the issues out :(

Ollie's Silver Cup

Day off, so plan for today...hopefully get the misfire/backfire/3-cylinders issue sorted! :evil:

Ollie's Silver Cup

Cup is back to full health again! :cool:

£5 to Dave for his 'water in the plug wells' theory, it was correct. Strangely, I don't really know how it got there, but it was there none the less.

I've been using the car throughout the week and the problem did get much better, as the water was obviously evaporating and escaping with use. This morning, for example, it was only misfiring under load up to about 2,500 revs.

Sadly, in using it, a plug had been fouled; there was tracking evident 'causing the remaining misfire under load.

So, a new set of plugs were needed;

5433567941_ddb42817fa_z.jpg

Fitted and the car is back on top form! Result! :evil:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

:approve:

Bet the car runs much better in general with the new plugs

Ollie's Silver Cup

:approve:

Bet the car runs much better in general with the new plugs

It does feel better tbh. I'm just glad it was a cheap and easy fix in the end. :approve:

Good choice on the mocal, I frickin love mine

Hoping it arrives tomorrow or Saturday! They look great imo! I saw the photo of yours mounted at the side of the battery :cool: That's where mine will be going!

What pipe did you use with it? I'm wondering if I can get an individual black silicone one the right size and length.

Are you running the cooler setup too?

my guess is excessive cleaning? ;) Glad it was an easy fix!

haha not in the engine bay, it was filthy under the plenum :cool: lol!!

Last edited:

Owen

ClioSport Admin

No I'm not running a cooler Oli, although I would like one (primarily for the looks) flol.

Not sure on pipes mate, it was fitted by Matt when he did the ITB's. Can check tomorrow if you'd like?

Ollie's Silver Cup

If you wouldn't mind checking that would be great, although I'm assuming it's just normal push fit hose; the mocal tank has a 13mm inlet iirc.

Wouldn't mind the oil cooler too myself :)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Only just saw that it was your problem!! Excellent!!

I is genius! :D

I want a mocal catch tank for mine too but just can't or shouldn't stretch to one this month as I'm spending enough on the ITB's!

Did you see the one foxy's selling in fs section?? I want it but can't get it this month :(

I've been looking at oil coolers too, not sure if it would be overkill or a good idea...

Ollie's Silver Cup

Only just saw that it was your problem!! Excellent!!

I is genius! :D

I want a mocal catch tank for mine too but just can't or shouldn't stretch to one this month as I'm spending enough on the ITB's!

Did you see the one foxy's selling in fs section?? I want it but can't get it this month :(

I've been looking at oil coolers too, not sure if it would be overkill or a good idea...

I was slightly more unlucky than you, as there was a plug fouled on mine :rasp:

There is very slight damage to one of the leads too, so best just to keep an eye on it; may just order a set a magnecor 8mm or 8.5mm and replace them though.

Catch tank would look awesome alongside your AT Power setup! Yeah, I did see the one for sale on here, but it was only £108 new from 'tweeks. :)

Last edited:
  Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Yeah I have bought a new set of plugs again, just for matt to stick in when the cars being mapped, just incase I had fouled one of mine, how do you tell if one is fouled?? I think this was the cause of the poor show at SRR a few weeks ago

Ollie's Silver Cup

There was ' carbon tracking' down the side on the white porcelain; a black etched line.

The old ones have been binned, else I could have got a photo.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Oh right, I've bought a new set too just in case the plugs are a sorry state after the water in the wells

Ollie's Silver Cup

Have you checked out the leads too? (plug end) as mine has very slight damage on one too, so might be worth a look :)

Ollie's Silver Cup

Another small update. My Mocal catch tank arrived today; it's going to be spot on imo! Very nice finish and fantastic quality. :)

5445964556_ffa1380cb0_z.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Have you fit that catch tank right away or are you waiting for the new mani?

Does it offer any benefits to a standard engine?

Ollie's Silver Cup

I want one :(

Do it ;)

Have you fit that catch tank right away or are you waiting for the new mani?

Does it offer any benefits to a standard engine?

I don't think it will fit where I'm wanting it with the standard airbox still there anyway, so I'll most likely be waiting until the JMS intake goes on. :)

The JMS kit is supplied with a crank case breather filter, I'd just prefer to use the catch tank. Aesthetically, they look great though :eek:

Ollie's Silver Cup

Getting closer to the RS2 now and I cannot wait! :D

I tried to mock fit the mocal tank this morning in the position I wanted it; I think I'm going to have to get a bracket made, as otherwise attaching it straight to the metal brace/section next to the battery will place it too far forward. So, I need to look into sorting that this week possibly.

Also, regards the RS2 in this thread; http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?560497-JMS-RS2-2011-Upgrades there's the updated manifold design using a single piece manifold. Effectively making a great product even better! :evil:

Pic borrowed from Tom's thread;

RS22011.jpg

The plan for the finish is to have the manifold powder coated black and the aluminium sections anodised black. :D

Mk1 Focus RS

New catch looks good oliver, can you explain to me what it actually does ?

My understanding is that it collects the water vapor out of the oil and fills up the "catch tank", but what do you do when it fills up ?

Ollie's Silver Cup

when will u get it then mate? mine is of to TDF on Sunday :D

I believe at the stage where Jenvey are sorting the updated/new manifold design, so I'd imagine it will be pretty soon! :)

Great news on your TDF ITB setup; how long's the car going to be there? It's only down the road from me, I'd like Matt to do the mapping on mine if possible.

New catch looks good oliver, can you explain to me what it actually does ?

My understanding is that it collects the water vapor out of the oil and fills up the "catch tank", but what do you do when it fills up ?

On the standard setup it's directed from the back of the engine into the inlet. With the catch tank it just collects in the tank, rather than being dumped back into the inlet.

There's a bung on the base of the tank to empty it when needed. :)