ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Omex 600 ECU issues

172 Ph1
Is there anyone on here that has good knowledge with fitting and wiring up the ECU .
I have some issues with one I have fitted and need advice to find if its knackered .

Fitted it to a 182 with throttle bodies , it's been mapped .
More so than not it doesn't start and I've checked all my wiring and am convinced the ECU is at fault .

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Send it to omex and get them to check it over. Only cost me postage for piece of mind. And if there is something wrong pay them to fix it, they know it best

Ph1 172 & others
I know a fair bit about the Omex stuff (worked very closely with them on various projects over the years). My first question would be what crank sensor does it use? If it uses Omex's own one (ford) that would be my first guess. The ECU's are pretty much bullet proof so it's unlikely to be that.

If you get really stuck call Omex and ask for Guy Higgs - he's an absolute genius and will definitely be able to help.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Are you getting a spark? can you connect to the ECU via the software? I'm thinking bad crank sensor or crank sensor wiring. Swap the sensor for a new one as it is always good to have a spare and they are cheap, if that doesn't fix it check you have it wired on the correct pins, if it is then check for high resistance in the cable. Highly doubt the ECU is at fault.

172 Ph1
Sorry guys , didn't see replies . Yes battery volts is all ok , basically it has run in the past and ran for a couple of months as it was mapped and everything . Then it started messing about .
So the mapper had to install a new map on it as it was corrupt , and that got it going . All was well so we thought. So when it doesn't start , the cooling fan will run constantly and the also the fuel pump operation to.
I did check for spark and had it , but when I checked for injector pulse it was not there .
So with all these issues , I have throughly checked the loom and my soldered joints and am happy with them.
So the ECU is now at OMEX which is being sorted by the mapper.

Renault Clio 2003
So with all these issues , I have throughly checked the loom and my soldered joints and am happy with them.
Solder joints shall never be used in environments with vibration and shocks. Soldering two wires together means that the wires are inflexible up to the point where the solder has capillarily travelled. At that point the two wires will break when any flexion occurs. Using solder joints in automotive wiring requires the massive usage of strain reliefs immediately after both sides of the solder joint, so no flexion can occur.
What one should use with automotive electrics is crimp connectors and the crimp connector manufacturer's specific crimping pliers for that specific crimp connector. Only this way a permanent connection can be made.

Soldered joints might work for some time, but eventually they will break or first start to show intermittent problems. The intermittent problem usually keeps worsening over time.
Solder joints of course have to be used when soldering components onto a PCB, but also in this situation, soldering wires directly to the PCB is not preferred. A PCB mounted receptacle should be used with the plug having crimped terminals inside of it.

So if there indeed are solder joints on your car with no immediate strain reliefs, I would suggest you start looking for the problem there.

172 Ph1
Solder joints shall never be used in environments with vibration and shocks. Soldering two wires together means that the wires are inflexible up to the point where the solder has capillarily travelled. At that point the two wires will break when any flexion occurs. Using solder joints in automotive wiring requires the massive usage of strain reliefs immediately after both sides of the solder joint, so no flexion can occur.
What one should use with automotive electrics is crimp connectors and the crimp connector manufacturer's specific crimping pliers for that specific crimp connector. Only this way a permanent connection can be made.

Soldered joints might work for some time, but eventually they will break or first start to show intermittent problems. The intermittent problem usually keeps worsening over time.
Solder joints of course have to be used when soldering components onto a PCB, but also in this situation, soldering wires directly to the PCB is not preferred. A PCB mounted receptacle should be used with the plug having crimped terminals inside of it.

So if there indeed are solder joints on your car with no immediate strain reliefs, I would suggest you start looking for the problem there.

Thanks for the detailed reply @Rone

I will look into these poss issues of there are any .