ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One for the sprayers...

Fiesta ST-3
I plan on polishing my inlet manifold, no problem. I also plan on part spraying it.

How do I mask off without getting a raised lines between polished metal and paint... And to prevent future paint peal?

Any input on bathe spraying side is welcome.

You can't, is the simple answer. If you want a nice defined line between the painted and polished parts there is always going to be a line you can feel. There are certain types of masking you can use to minimise the line, but then it won't be as defined and neat. You could also lacquer the whole thing which would help but you will probably still feel it a little.

As for peeling, I wouldn't worry too much about that underneath the bonnet. Paint only peels off the bodywork when it's agitated by something like weather/washing etc, under the bonnet it should be pretty protected. As long as you use paint that can withstand the heat.

Fiesta ST-3
You can't, is the simple answer. If you want a nice defined line between the painted and polished parts there is always going to be a line you can feel. There are certain types of masking you can use to minimise the line, but then it won't be as defined and neat. You could also lacquer the whole thing which would help but you will probably still feel it a little.

As for peeling, I wouldn't worry too much about that underneath the bonnet. Paint only peels off the bodywork when it's agitated by something like weather/washing etc, under the bonnet it should be pretty protected. As long as you use paint that can withstand the heat.

Thanks for the input mate. Would I be able to Laqur over the finished metal to retain its shine then?

I didn't think that was possible.

It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially to a novice. You'd have to key it all again after you'd finished polishing it with something very fine in order for the lacquer to take to it obviously, even then you could still run into problems with it reacting with whatever polished you used etc. It doesn't really like sticking to bare metal at the best of times.

I'd just live with the line being there if I were you mate.

As above really, and keep your paint THIN!, on a side note, there are special self etching lacquers for direct to bare polished metal, but ive not used them and they are professional paints, so not a good idea to use at home.

Fiesta ST-3
Ok chaps thank you.

I was looking at making a couple up and maybe selling them on, hence why I want to get the best finish possible.

Polishing isn't an issue but my spaying know how is non existent!