ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One question iPhone/iPT thread.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Re: iPhone 3.0 Discussion

I heard no but cant remember the reason :eek:

Because Apple are allowing the phones to be subsidised by the network now, therefore you get the phone cheap when you enter a contract and are then locked in for the remainder.

However, it's entirely possible that they may allow a handset upgrade (for $$$ and new contract terms) knowing that pretty much every iPhone customer will want to upgrade.....kerching.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Still makes no difference, that marketing model is flawless.

Original iphone contract holders will end up being in 54 month contracts.

£35 x 52 (+99+199+Whatever the next iphone costs) = £2200+

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

True. But they could add a premium onto the handset price for early upgrading, enough to make users switch and enough to give o2 a nice little bounty for locking them into new contracts.

Or they could just say f**k off and wait till the end of your contract.

Either way they're pretty much guaranteed that you'll be staying with them and with the iPhone.

(I am one of those people who has no particular fondness of hanging onto a number, so I have no problem in ditching my current contract and switching to a new one to get a cheaper handset - text all contacts with new number, job done!)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yup, thankfully (unusually for me) i didn't bother with o2 to begin with as my tmobile contract timings were poor.

But now my contract ends in June, so it looks like im switching. (unless the Pre is any good)

182 Sport 2.0I

Still makes no difference, that marketing model is flawless.

Original iphone contract holders will end up being in 52 month contracts.

£35 x 52 (+99+199+Whatever the next iphone costs) = £2118

How you working out a 52 month contract?

I love my iPhone, can't wait for the next one. But i will be so damn annoyed if there is no upgrade available.

Last edited by a moderator:
  E87 118d M Sport

im holding out for the next one. but is there any rumoured confirmation of a new phone. OS 3.0 doesnt mean new phone?

E87 118d M Sport

i hope so. my contract (non-iphone) runs out the end of this month. just guna transfer onto simplicity until the new one comes out. hopefully the money i save in the meantime will cover the cost of the new handset.

Fiat Panda 100hp

3.0 is just a OS upgade, meaning software. I doubt a new phone will be following soon. Theres nothing that the current one doesnt do, apart from bluetooth, it's just software updates that are needed.

Copy and paste was rummored by Kevin Rose at the weekend, and his rummors are normally correct. He also says that it's going to bring the iphone up to the level of the Palm Pre.

New iPhone will be June.

Its only a preview of 3.0 tomorrow. It wont be out until the end of May.

I dont see the big deal on copy and pate. Copy and pasting phone numbers from txts maybe, the odd browser occasion. Would much rather see background apps

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I dont see the big deal on copy and pate. Copy and pasting phone numbers from txts maybe, the odd browser occasion. Would much rather see background apps

Exactly, being able to forward text messages would be more useful than cut & paste, even on phones I had that allow cut and paste I can probably count on one hand the number of times I actually used it, SMS forwarding on the other hand....

Background application support is a requirement for sat nav, no background apps = no sat nav.

Fiat Panda 100hp

Granted, but I was just pointing out there is sat nav without the need of jail breaking.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Granted, but I was just pointing out there is sat nav without the need of jail breaking.

:)

It sure does look pretty though.

If they provided a framework which allowed the "in call" state to share the UI then they could allow sat nav to work properly without the need for background applications and when the phone is "turned off" then the app stops running, it'd be a good compromise.

BMW E46 330i Touring

Sorry if I've missed a point, but what's stopping them just releasing 3.0 for the existing 3G? Why the certainty, and requirement, for a new iphone if it's all software-related fixes?

E87 118d M Sport

3.0 is purely software related.
what im saying is i am holding back on signing up for an 18month contract now with the existing 3G if there is going to be a new handset released in the next few months

BMW E46 330i Touring

Fair enough, from my experience the only hardware changes that would be worthwhile at the moment would be to
Make it smaller or have a greater storage capacity. Neither matters to me.

SLK 350

^
Better camera + Flash.
External storage card slot (will never happen).
Standardised mini-USB charger, in addition to dock (won't happen yet).
Higher resolution screen.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Mini-USB will have to happen at some point, even if its a seperate socket for charging.

3.2/5 mpx is possible, flash i doubt.

Flash in the browser however would be handy.

E87 118d M Sport

i read rumours of a 32gb version too which again would be possible following the touch

Facelift R53 Cooper S

Hopefully OS 3.0 does mean there will be new hardware to follow, as my contract is up in May and i could be tempted by a new Iphone, providing it can do the BASIC functions i need a phone to do (MMS, Copy + Paste, forwarding etc......)

also can you set your own text tone on the 3g yet?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

If there is a new iphone coming out, I would like to see the iphone nano :D

any of you read this? seen this link within that page??

iphone nano...

http://www.xskn.com/default.aspx?m=Products&sid=294&cid=1

1497_disc.jpg

Fiat Panda 100hp

yeah that better have a rubber case around it, otherwise it's fugly.