ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ongoing fault with my audio installation - Any advice??

Clio 200 RS Gordini
Hi All

I am totally stumped with this issue. I have an aftermarket sound installation in my MK3 RS.

Firstly, this instal was done in stages with the first stage being the installation of a Hertz 3-way front stage. I made the mistake of running these speakers off the original head unit while I was saving for the amplifiers etc. I was over-eager and pushed the volume too high and I managed to fry the IC unit of the radio. (The Hertz 6" woofers take plenty juice) Hindsight is a dirty b#stard.

Renault South Africa obviously refused any warranty claims, so I replaced the IC with an IC from a Megane RS head unit. (apparently they are the same)

So here is the problem: When the radio is switched on, the entire sound system seems to "surge" or "pop" at least 6 to 8 times before any audio feed comes through the speakers. If you can imagine 8 kicks of a bass drum at the same volume, coming through all speakers.

I am certain that the amps function correctly, the ground and 12v wiring is sound, the speakers are all in phase etc. The system runs through a line converter that I have also tested more than once.

The system performs and sounds wonderful, however the surging issue on start-up cannot be remotely correct!

Anyone at all have any advice or experience with this??

Kind regards;
Matt

My amp used to do a similar thing (only two bassy tones though) when i turned the key. I put a 12v regulator on the power line and that solved the problem. Not sure if it will be the same for you however.