ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ongoing project clio mk1

mk1 1.2 8v clio
hi my names is Rob, passed my test about 4 months ago and love driving! i bought my mums mk1 1996 clio off of her for 500 quid with a years mot and only 40,000 miles on the clock. when i got it it was completely standard, since then i bought some colour coded bumpers thanks to ebay. i also got a K&N and an ashley competition exhaust. i got a set of fox racing alloys with brand new avon ZV3's on. they were a bit kerbed so i sanded them down filled them and resprayed them black with red O.Z stickers (only one person so far has noticed that they arent real O.Z's lol). ICE i have a ministry of sound headunit with a 400W sub and amp. this will be an ongoing project due to the fact im not earning alot atm. to come i will have it lowered 45mm. engine mods i will be getting it cammed and remapped. i am hoping to make this car into a williams replica, up my local scrapyard is a williams in exactly the same colour which i want to buy the whole front end off of but they wont let me because the car was a scrappage scheme :mad:. i will post up some pics tomorro when its light. cheers Rob.

mk1 1.2 8v clio
alloys before respray

DSC00670.jpg
DSC00669.jpg

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
that air filter cant be doing much for ur performance being hidden back there the filter alone in -5BHP and it being hidden away is another -10 :dapprove:

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
tbh, keep it standard and just wait until you get a better car.

cam and remap a 1.2? not worth the effort.

Mk1 F4R
to come i will have it lowered 45mm. engine mods i will be getting it cammed and remapped. i am hoping to make this car into a williams replica, up my local scrapyard is a williams in exactly the same colour which i want to buy the whole front end off of but they wont let me because the car was a scrappage scheme

The williams that you speak of isnt a williams because they only come in bleu 449 (is the code) it will be a valver 1.8ltr and are the same shape as a williams but come in more colours and a few less features , williams is a 2.0ltr. I wouldnt bother doing any thing to a 1.2 as you will be wasting you time and money might as well just put a 1.8 in it and that will cost you a few hundered pounds. Here is a pic of my valver naples red. Tkae a look in my project thread if you want to have any help

IMG_7024.jpg

mk1 1.2 8v clio
The williams that you speak of isnt a williams because they only come in bleu 449 (is the code) it will be a valver 1.8ltr and are the same shape as a williams but come in more colours and a few less features , williams is a 2.0ltr. I wouldnt bother doing any thing to a 1.2 as you will be wasting you time and money might as well just put a 1.8 in it and that will cost you a few hundered pounds. Here is a pic of my valver naples red. Tkae a look in my project thread if you want to have any help

IMG_7024.jpg

cheers yeh that is exactly the same as the one up the scrappy, only it has the standard alloys on

mk1 1.2 8v clio
that air filter cant be doing much for ur performance being hidden back there the filter alone in -5BHP and it being hidden away is another -10 :dapprove:

yeh i had been told that but i have a cold air feed to it so that should improve it slightly right? somewhen i will take the fog light cover out of the bumper and bring the ducting up from there. i tried having it facing round the other way but it kinks the pipe :/. i might try the standard one back on for a while to see if i can tell the differance.

mk1 1.2 8v clio
tbh, keep it standard and just wait until you get a better car.

cam and remap a 1.2? not worth the effort.

hmmm probably wont get another car until im 20/21 as im only 17 and i cant get insurance on a valver till then anyway :p and i enjoy doing stuff to the car anyway :)

Clio mk1
I have a 1.2 mk1, not a bad car but how do you make it surprise people? The only person it surprises is me when i put my foot down or try to go around a corner fast.

I would get some cold air for that intake, warm air has less oxygen = less power

If you want it to go faster get it lowered as you only need front springs as the rear is on a torsion bar.

How the hell did you change the lights on your speedo, as mine has blown and I can't see the speed when it is dark. Where did you get the lights as well??

Never above 25mpg
MK1s sadly dont surprise anything unless it's a Williams or Valver or a Prima with an engine conversion...

My MK1 I had when I was 17 took me 30 seconds to overtake as it would only go 80mph maximum!!

They are cracking first cars though :D

mk1 1.2 8v clio
MK1s sadly dont surprise anything unless it's a Williams or Valver or a Prima with an engine conversion...

My MK1 I had when I was 17 took me 30 seconds to overtake as it would only go 80mph maximum!!

They are cracking first cars though :D

what! i can get 78 in third lol the fastest ive had is 95 still in fourth. to be fair from 80 onwards it does take its time building up lol. i did a timed 0-60 when i had the standard 13" wheels on and it was 10.8, probably into 11 seconds now tho with the 15's on there.

mk1 1.2 8v clio
I have a 1.2 mk1, not a bad car but how do you make it surprise people? The only person it surprises is me when i put my foot down or try to go around a corner fast.

I would get some cold air for that intake, warm air has less oxygen = less power

If you want it to go faster get it lowered as you only need front springs as the rear is on a torsion bar.

How the hell did you change the lights on your speedo, as mine has blown and I can't see the speed when it is dark. Where did you get the lights as well??

yeh i need to get the rear stiffened or something cos the wheels rub the arches with 3 peole in the back :p.

the island i live on only has one dual carriageway and on a drive the other week i went past a 106 gti (obviously he wasnt trying lol) and spoke to him after and he thought it was a 1.4 then had someone else ask me if it was a 1.4 aswel :D.

the dash lights were a pain in the ass lol. i got them off ebay for a fiver. you have to take the whole top of the dash off then the steering wheel surround thing. it isnt really that hard just takes some time as there is so many screws lol.

Mk1 F4R
yeh i had been told that but i have a cold air feed to it so that should improve it slightly right? somewhen i will take the fog light cover out of the bumper and bring the ducting up from there. i tried having it facing round the other way but it kinks the pipe :/. i might try the standard one back on for a while to see if i can tell the differance.

In a valver it is proven if you drill the standard air box it is better than not drilling it and and gives a little more power, it sounds good too
Not to sure about a 1.2 give it a go and find out
Also im sure that a 1.2 wouldnt do a o-60 in 10.5 seconds as that is wot i did it in my fiesta zetec-s 1.6, not verry good imo

Clio mk1
Cheers for the tip, I need to get my dash sorted.

I doubt drilling holes in the air box will help, I reckon it would make it a lot louder and a more responsive but the power will be down as the engine will be drawing in hot air.

mk1 1.2 8v clio
In a valver it is proven if you drill the standard air box it is better than not drilling it and and gives a little more power, it sounds good too
Not to sure about a 1.2 give it a go and find out
Also im sure that a 1.2 wouldnt do a o-60 in 10.5 seconds as that is wot i did it in my fiesta zetec-s 1.6, not verry good imo

i will make a video somewhen to show you! even the 1.25 zetec-s's can get it under 10 seconds lol you sure your car wasnt broken? :S lol

mk1 1.2 8v clio

I doubt drilling holes in the air box will help, I reckon it would make it a lot louder and a more responsive but the power will be down as the engine will be drawing in hot air.

na it wouldnt draw in hot air as the feed to the airbox is right behind the front bumper so catches all the cool air :).

ive also heard about taking the panel filter out and replacing it with a layer of womens tights? :L surely that would give it more power too?

mk1 1.2 8v clio
just put the standard air box back on with holes drilled in it and the tights lol. i cant really tell any differance tbh accept maybe a little more resposive. then i notice i had oil dripping out of the sump! need a new washer/gasket for the draining bolt asap :(

mk1 1.2 8v clio
bought my decat pipe last week hopefully it will be here tomorro and il fit it as i have the day off :D. also im thinking of spraying my standard wheels red with black centres and a renault diamond, what do you guys recon? il have a go at doing one tomorro and post up a pic. and it is way over due for a clean so it will be getting scrubbed and polished :).

Iceberg 2002 172
what! i can get 78 in third lol the fastest ive had is 95 still in fourth. to be fair from 80 onwards it does take its time building up lol. i did a timed 0-60 when i had the standard 13" wheels on and it was 10.8, probably into 11 seconds now tho with the 15's on there.

Seriously this is how fast a *nearly* standard clio 16v can do 0-75mph only mods were a K&N and a K-tec exhaust system!

was also 4 up with heavy leather interior and luggage.

th_MOV00235.jpg

Mk1 F4R

I was told by foxy and the man does know wot he is talking about

just put the standard air box back on with holes drilled in it and the tights lol. i cant really tell any differance tbh accept maybe a little more resposive. then i notice i had oil dripping out of the sump! need a new washer/gasket for the draining bolt asap :(

Mate take the tights out of the air box as that is the most stupid idea ever, you will regret it when it gets sucked in througt the throttle boddy and then into the engine NOT GOOD :dead:

Have a search and see if you can find the thread on here where a lad did the same and they did acctually get sucked down the throttle body and into the engine, was a good read.

to be honest matey the more you do to that engine the more its gonna cost as for a cam and remap thats gonna set you back big time

watch il probable be ridiculed for this but i have the same lump and i have a billet cat cam and ported cylinder head it is a lot quicker and as far as im aware is the only one about with these mods, the only reason me doing this was i got all the parts cheap cheap.

i would say stick to making it look tidy and maybe lower it but thats just my opinion

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Hi mate,

i started off with the same car, but a lot more battered. I had the same induction kit, massive heat soak but sounded pretty good. Dont bother doing anything else to the engine; i've got a mate to fit a 172 engine in mine. You can get 1.8 16V engines with gearbox's stupidly cheap and shouldn't be too difficult to fit, especially if you find a donar car. Cars not looking too bad mate

If you want some lowering springs, i've got a set of G-max 30mm and Eibach 50mm springs. Also have some drilled Ktec brake discs and pads, which made a massive difference.