ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oops, stripped the thread on my rear caliper.

Clio 172 mk2 & Clio 3 DCi
Evening All

Had a bit of an issue on my passenger side rear caliper on my 172. The piston was really stiff and wouldnt wind back in enough at first. Eventually got the pads on but when doing up the top bolt to the caliper just as it was going tight the thread stripped and now it wont do up tight. The bottom bolt is on and is ok.

Is it possible to rethread the caliper or tap it and put a new larger bolt in?.
Most importantly what implications does this have for the driving?. Luckily i have the clio 3 for day to day use but obviously am concerned about using the 172 now particulary as i am getting it ready for some track action next year and a trip to the ring.
Lucky its the back and most of the force goes through the front brakes but not good. :S

Also does anyone know if you can just buy the bleeding nipples for the front calipers?.

BMW M135i
I'd get a new caliper personally, not sure i'd trust it otherwise. You must've hanged off it to strip it tbh.

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
I managed to do the same thing too!!!
I had another bolt made 8mm longer, covered it in thread lock plonked it in and it's been fine since, or if you need the car in a hurry, take the brace off that goes between the bolts and you'll have a quick fix to get you by

no huge rush as i dont use it every day but obviously want to get it sorted. unless i dont know my own strength i didnt overtighten it :).

could be worth looking at a helicoil thing.

thanks guys.

ok well i have managed to obtain a helicoil thread kit. does anyone know of the top of their had what size the bolt is?.

i know i could just take it apart to see but thats just too easy :)