ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions, am I being Overcharged for a rebuild?

So I had a cambelt failure, and s**t hit the fan as it does. You'll have to forgive me in terms of technically language, i'm just repeating whats been told to me.

Was getting pretty desperate to have a car back, and got it in to the closest place to me and seems to have good reviews from family since it's been around over 30 years.

Originally I had been quoted £950 including VAT for 12 hours labour, (head refurb, reskim, valves, gaskets, oil + filter etc.) plus the new timing kit.

Turns out the piston to valve contact was pretty bad and it's cracked the camshaft caps clean in two, so it needs a complete new head. They said it'll be £522 for the head which will be completely refurbed. And the price now to get the whole job finished is £1650.

In anyones professional opinion, does this seem way too much? It's a bit late now if it is, but it'd stop my mind wondering somewhat. And if the damage has gone this far, I'm worried about the bill going any higher, could there be any more hidden surprises? Cheers.

Scrap it, so the belt was fitted incorrectly in the end?

Honestly, If I knew this much was to come of it before it started, then I would have straight away.

Seems it, there's a bit of a better explanation in my project thread. Just taking it as something to learn from.

Won't this rebuild cost pretty much the value of the car?

Give or take £200, yep. The money is borrowed from family, so the way I see it, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference If I carry on with the rebuild, or scrap it and start again.

Going to give them a call tomorrow about the possibility of dropping a new engine in.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Buy another car and swap bits over etc
Or vice versa