ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions from people with good engine builds for 1*2's

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I'm really after the opinion of people who have spent more than just Rs tuner, matched inlets and exhaust please.

More in depth tuning, I.e Cams, ITB's, turbo and supercharging.

Is it really worth it on the clio, is the performance gain that much you can justify the money? OR would I be better off saving my money and putting it towards a new car?

I enjoy driving the trophy but it just lacks power, yes it makes up for it in the corners but how often do you ever get a clear stretch of 'B' road in this country to really enjoy it

I wouldnt spend the money again on a clio. Dont get me wrong, it was quick, but there is always something quicker.

Problem is, you get something else , i.e an Evo, and then you will want that quicker as well.

I wouldnt spend the money on the clio, its nice enough as it is, and for what they are good at (B road blasts and track days) they are plenty fast enough.

(This coming from the guy who wants to supercharge his type r already, this is the problem)

DMS

A thirsty 172
The question of whether or not it's worth it depends on the person TBH. I personally wouldn't have spent the money on mine if I didn't think it was worth it or if I didn't earn as much as I do.
I could have got a quicker standard car to begin with, but I wanted something a bit different and for the amount I've spent on the Clio I don't think I could have got anything that comes close. It's capable of making standard and even ITB'd 1*2's look like they're going backwards even at half throttle. In fact, in the whole time I've had it, the only thing that has managed keep up in a straight line was a Caterham of some sort.
The main issue for me is that it involves compromise. You have to have a very heavy and awkward paddle clutch when you go down the turbo route, the fuel consumption can be downright ridiculous and you get through brakes and tyres much quicker. Insurance is something else to consider.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you can't drive it flat out on the road. Yes, you can have the occasional little blast, but if you try to get anywhere near the limit in it you'll end up wrapped around a tree. So to get the most out of it you'll need to go on track (something I've only done once in this car up to now).

So yes, I'd say it's worth it, but at the same time I'd say don't bother if you don't want to spoil your car in any way, or if you don't want to double or even treble its running costs.

Last edited:
  big boost cup
I have just picked my cup up from K tec after having the supercharger fitted. And what a difference its made it sounds amazing, and it now goes like stink. its so easy to drive with out any sudden jerks in performace. just power from the word go.
allthough its quite expensive after driving it i personally think its well worth it

Clio 172 Ph1.
I have just picked my cup up from K tec after having the supercharger fitted. And what a difference its made it sounds amazing, and it now goes like stink. its so easy to drive with out any sudden jerks in performace. just power from the word go.
allthough its quite expensive after driving it i personally think its well worth it

How much was the supercharger from k-tec fitted?

Renaultsport Clio 172
I have only fitted cams along with all other mass mods, and the gains are minimal in real world terms, but the character of the car in totally transformed, is it worth it? well, Yes, the car is a bit faster but it is still the awesome car it's always been and will be. It drives so well and can go around cornes with so much ease, With all the money spent on it I would have bought a GTI ot 225 with more poke in straight line, but as said earlier, you will want that faster car to be even faster, so it is a no end tell, after all mods I think it has been even cheaper than buying another car, which I would end up tunning regardless.

Performance wise I have spent around 2K, and if I had sold the clio I don't think I could of buy such a nice and great car with the money I'd gotten plus those 2K's, at least not in Mexico. so, to me.... it was worth it

Ph1
Go straight for TB's, Supercharger or turbo. Better having a huge gain and something to see for your money than spending 500 here, 300 there etc etc for very little.

All or nothing imo

TrackCar & F30 330d
If its just a daily driver just leave the engine bay. If its a track car then improving the drivability of the engine is worth while fitting ITB's

You just cant use full throttle on the road but you can all day long on track.

So basically what Andyman says, All or nothing.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
I have done all the little bits, and am now in the process of re spending, as im getting cams fitted next week and ITB's in future, just wish i had done the ITB's straight away. 30bhp increase in one hit instead of sniffing around for 1 or 2 bhp per 150 quid!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
What sort of money have people spent so far on their builds? I'd love to say it will see the track but that just depends on work and time off

I think there are two sides to the story. A good inlets / map / decat / filter package will liberate the car of the factory restrictions; giving far sharper throttle response, much more mid range go and a good hike in T&P throughout the RPM range; basically the car feels far more alive than in stock form. The car however is still near stock should it be sold.

The next step is more in depth work that is usually more permanent and/or A LOT more maintenance intensive than the above - and this is a factor a lot of people forget, from the smallest things such as reoiling filter socks all the way up to balancing throttle bodies & more frequent aux belt changes on supercharged cars - non of them are fit and forget upgrades no matter what you are told & thus are more expensive to live with & maintain.

I think it boils down to your choice.

Do you want to blow £4500 on a clio and supercharge it, will be rapid but still be a clio. Or do you want to sell the trophy, put that same £4500 on top and get a bigger car with more potential.

The choice can only be yours. All im saying is ive learnt twice now after spending nearly £10k on my clio, and just under on my old punto GT.

I would just do as tom states, inlet, map decat suspension then brakes - If you can drive will be a weapon, compared to someone who cant drive but has 250bhp.

182cup & 172 racecar
Don't forget you always get used to what you got,driving the road car sometimes feels like its pulling a trailer,but then look at the speedo and,ooops better slow down more points on the way.