ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions needed - do I need 4 pots?

DMS

A thirsty 172
OK. I've done a search but haven't really found enough opinions on this...

After the recent work done to my car, I've come to realise over the last couple of days that I'd be a complete tw@t not to do something about my standard brakes.

Now I read somewhere on the forum a while ago about the standard brakes being more than adequate if you fit braided lines, uprated disks, pads and better fluid, and that unless you spend all your time doing trackdays 4 pots aren't worth the extra cash.

However, with the amount of power I'll be making would 4 pots become the better option? Cost isn't really of concern to me, since I'd much rather be able to avoid certain death. I just won't get them if I don't need them.

As of yet the car hasn't done a trackday. But it will be doing eventually.

Thoughts?

lift number 1 @ btm
i'd say you have pretty much answered your own question to be honest.
with uprated standard brakes i never had a problem on the road, but managed to cook them at combe, so have gone for four pots now that my car is going to be pretty much track only.
saying that they were fine for a few airfields, but combe was a quiet day where i did 180 miles on track!

DMS

A thirsty 172
What about turbo'd 172's though? Are the standard brakes with updated bits doing to match up to 4 pots?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The thing is, if you need 4 pots for the road, you need to be banned from driving. There is no way you can drive safely and cook your brakes on the road.

On track, the 1st track day I did I roasted my standard brakes. Proper killed them, had to chisel the pads out of the calipers! But that was due to s**t driving and track day virginity. After more experience standard brakes were absolutely fine for me.

However, if your 172 is TB'd or turbo'd then chances are the brakes will be completely fried by morning tea break on the track.

So really, only you can decide if you need them!

lift number 1 @ btm
unless you are doing a lot of trackdays there is no need for four pots, they are absolutely awesome! the best description i have heard of them is that they feel like the tyres are rotating on the rim..
but uprated discs, pads and lines are more than up to the job 99% of the time.

the other thing to consider for road use is that four pots will lose the abs.

edit* fred should be on the engine tomorrow daniel :cool:

DMS

A thirsty 172
So the general concensus is to improve the standard brakes unless I decide to do a load of track days?

lift number 1 @ btm
i would say so, i think the cup cars use standard discs and calipers with race pads and i'd guess braided lines

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Unless you're doing a lot of track days i'd just fit uprated discs and pads, braided lines and decent regularly flushed fluid.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Look for the thread that Roy Munson did on brakes. Some good advice in there.

Hold on i'll have a look....

TrackCar & F30 330d
IMO, you dont need 4pots, my standard calipers are fine.

I use brembo max discs, carbone lorraine pads, braided hoses, and i would recomend a 5.1 fluid.

You will never ever cook that set up.

Golf GTD Mk7
4 pots only if you're going to turn the car into a track car. no need on the road as said, even with more power.
Uprated brakes are a must for me, as I found the standard setup a bit poo. My birds corsa used to outbrake me.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I'm more then happy with my 4 pots for road use. IMO you can never have enough power when it comes to brakes.

That was my thinking. But do the 4 pots really give much more braking power than standard calipers with uprated parts? Enough to justify the cost?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
That was my thinking. But do the 4 pots really give much more braking power than standard calipers with uprated parts? Enough to justify the cost?

Well I paid £650 all in for my compbrake 4 pot kit. When you add up how much say ferodo ds2500 pads, brembo hc discs goodridge hoses cost (IMO a good standard set-up) then IMO the 4 pots are quite good value...that and the fact they're lighter and look much better than standard calipers.

Golf GTD Mk7
they have more force compared to 1 pots obviously. It will also depend what type of pad you're using with them.

ValverInBits
Don't confuse braking power with servo-assistance. The 172 is thankfully not to heavily over-assisted, but if you drive something like a Gallardo (everyday mate;)) then you realise how nice it is to have less assistance. A lot of modern cars have ridiculously sharp brakes with a Lot of assistance, but they cook really easily.

So braking power - mostly depends on how hard you push the pedal but 4 pots deal with the heat much better.

Well I paid £650 all in for my compbrake 4 pot kit. When you add up how much say ferodo ds2500 pads, brembo hc discs goodridge hoses cost (IMO a good standard set-up) then IMO the 4 pots are quite good value...that and the fact they're lighter and look much better than standard calipers.

Never looked at it like that, and they do look F8cking cool.

Dan is right though, cooking the standard setup on road is a tall order.

Golf GTD Mk7
Don't confuse braking power with servo-assistance. The 172 is thankfully not to heavily over-assisted, but if you drive something like a Gallardo (everyday mate;)) then you realise how nice it is to have less assistance. A lot of modern cars have ridiculously sharp brakes with a Lot of assistance, but they cook really easily.

So braking power - mostly depends on how hard you push the pedal but 4 pots deal with the heat much better.

Never looked at it like that, and they do look F8cking cool.

Dan is right though, cooking the standard setup on road is a tall order.

Don't know about that. Mine used to cook quite easily when having spirited drives. I wasn't over braking either before the comments start ;)