ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Orange peel - what can be done?

Clio 172
Hi guys

Just a quick one really, I saw a car on here that Gally did an awesome job of, and the paint looked similar to mine.

Basically, on both sides of the car, it looks really orange peeley, and doesn't have much reflection, it's quite dull? It's pearl black, but honestly looks more grey than anything.

Can it be fixed? I'll try get some pictures later on today)

Chews guys

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sandpaper followed by a mop is probably your best bet.

Easy to get horribly wrong on a first attempt.

330i. E30 Touring.
Only proper way to sort orange peel is a wetsand.

Initial clarity might improve if you attack it with a rotary though..

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
As said wetland is the only proper way. I'd advise practising a lot on on some scrap panels first. Obviously afterwards you'll have to machine it back with varying levels of compound etc.

Clio 172
The thing is, I don't think I'll touch it my self. I have no experience what so ever. I just thought I would ask if it can be fixed, because if it can then I will pay someone to do it for me, then I can fall back in love with it!

Any members wana come Kent?:p

Thanks a lot boys! You've made me happy!

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL. Not when you find out how much it'll cost if you want it doing properly, we haven't!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Try it on a wing first, they only sell for about 20-30 quid each, are common in that colour, and are pretty easy to fit, so no big drama if you mess it up.

Clio 172
When we say a few, we talking 200-300?

That's not "that" bad, I could see my self paying for it.. But saying that, depends how hard doing it your self is! Haha

Chip-

The thing is, it's mainly the doors, and the rear quarters that are affected. Roof is okay, as well as boot and bumpers.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

That's not "that" bad, I could see my self paying for it.. But saying that, depends how hard doing it your self is! Haha

Chip-

The thing is, it's mainly the doors, and the rear quarters that are affected. Roof is okay, as well as boot and bumpers.

I've seen wet sand details at round £700-1000 for a full car. With yours only being the doors/quarters, it should be less than that.

These guys will sort it out http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/detailing.phtml

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Chip-

Door wouldnt be the end of the world to replace if you messed it up either.

Rear quarters though it would be expensive respray time if you got it wrong.

Thats IF you wanted to try and have a go yourself.

Clio 172
f**k sake a lot of money. I think I'll give the doors a go my self. As said they are replaceable. Does anyone know of any guides? Googling didn't come up with anything great, not that I know what to search!

Cheers again!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I know you say you want rid of the orange peel, but have you tried a proper compounding polish on the paint either by hand or machine polisher? as you can still get fantastic gloss and reflections from corrected paint that still has terrible orange peel.

The fact you say it is quite dull sounds to me that you would want to try polishing it 1st before you further consider taken sand paper to it. It may seem simple, but one wrong step, as it's quite easy to do, will see you needing to have it resprayed.

Clio 172
I know you say you want rid of the orange peel, but have you tried a proper compounding polish on the paint either by hand or machine polisher? as you can still get fantastic gloss and reflections from corrected paint that still has terrible orange peel.

The fact you say it is quite dull sounds to me that you would want to try polishing it 1st before you further consider taken sand paper to it. It may seem simple, but one wrong step, as it's quite easy to do, will see you needing to have it resprayed.

Thanks mate.

I will give that a go then, will be a safer/cheaper option, as I'm an absolute noob with this, what polish would be a good option? To use by hand.

Thanks everyone!!