ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Orange Peel.

www.renparts.co.uk
when i put 172 wings, bumper and sideskirts on my car i bought them off someone who already had them painted in pearl black. However the Paint work looks quite orange peely, specifically on the wings as if they werent machine polished properly after painting. Will this smooth out if i get them maching polished or just burn through the paint? Would someone be able to do it if i was having IT PC'd or is it only able to be done by a rotart polisher.

Chocolate Bar™
should be fine pc'd, tbh i'd prefer it to be done with a pc than rotared, as it always puts tonnes of swirls in your paint work. ask someone like rich or brazo who know what they're talking about

BMW Z4 3.0i
I thought the peel effect was under the laquer so PCing won't do anything to get rid of it. I'm no expert though.

Black 172 MK2
yer i thought it was to do with the prep of the paint ie its not 100% smooth hence you see all the imperfections. Renault seem to be very good at this effect ;)

Im pretty sure orange peel has to be corrected by wet sanding.

There was a good thread on DW about a guy who wet sanded his whole car, looked great afterwards, pretty much all the orange peel was gone.

He obviously followed this up with a PC to remove the wet sanding marks and bring it to a great shine.

www.renparts.co.uk
al said:
If you want it PC'ing josh PM me ;)

have you got a PC? i think this would cure it paired with the right cutting compound. I assume the orange peel is on the laquer layer, it certainly seems to be. I would quite like the whole car PC'd/

Hi Joshy

Orange peel is thousands of tiny runs in the paint, which is why its only really noticable on vertical surfaces. If the orange peel is only in the laquer then it can only be removed by wet sanding and then polishing up with PC or rotary. PS a rotary used properly will not leave any swirls or buffer trails.

If the orange peel is in the colour coat then your fooked either way.

TBH mate its a lot safer to leave it there as significant clearcoat removal is needed to clear it. Unless its a show car don't bother!

RenaultSport clio 197
You'll always get peel in new paintwork because most companies are now using HS lacquer, its only a one-coat system and as its so thick you wont get it really flat, although you can get it flatter on bonnets you'll still never get it completely flat as MS lacquers.
You can wet or dry flat the clear with p1200 or p1500 and polish it whether its black or silver, although if your basecoat/primer is still peely in silver/light colours however flat the lacquer is you'll still see the peel as the colour of the basecoat shows before the gloss of the lacquer.
As your car is black then the panels can be flat and polished to show a flatter image, although black is harder to polish up as it can show swirl marks.

www.renparts.co.uk
i think you guys are failing to understand. the parts in question had been resprayed before fitting. Originally Cup blue but the painted pearl black. Al have you sorted PC yet?