ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Orange Upgrade"

Bumder With A Buffer
So im FINALLY coming to the end of a long 24 month contract with Orange and have been looking at a new phone.

For starters my Contract runs out on the 16th April and online wont offer me an upgrade till the 16th MArch (despite me reading that They will offer you an upgrade 3 months before the end of your contract). Add to that the fact that Orange dont offer the Nexus4 on the shop, which again is wierd as through CPW you can get a Nexus 4 on Orange for £26 ppm :S

So I have been looking at buying the Nexus outright and getting a giffgaff sim. Over 2 Years that works out at Phone = £279 + Giffgaff £240 = £519 as opposed to paying £720 over 2 years on a contract paying around £30 a month.

So to me it seems logical to go down the giffgaff route as its cheaper, less faffing around if I want a new phone every year. I have always just got a phone on contract and never really thought about how much more I might spend on a contract.

Im sure other have gone down this route over time?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
So im FINALLY coming to the end of a long 24 month contract with Orange and have been looking at a new phone.

For starters my Contract runs out on the 16th April and online wont offer me an upgrade till the 16th MArch (despite me reading that They will offer you an upgrade 3 months before the end of your contract). Add to that the fact that Orange dont offer the Nexus4 on the shop, which again is wierd as through CPW you can get a Nexus 4 on Orange for £26 ppm :S

So I have been looking at buying the Nexus outright and getting a giffgaff sim. Over 2 Years that works out at Phone = £279 + Giffgaff £240 = £519 as opposed to paying £720 over 2 years on a contract paying around £30 a month.

So to me it seems logical to go down the giffgaff route as its cheaper, less faffing around if I want a new phone every year. I have always just got a phone on contract and never really thought about how much more I might spend on a contract.

Im sure other have gone down this route over time?

About early upgrade; I think thats only if you do it in store mate.

Bumder With A Buffer
About early upgrade; I think thats only if you do it in store mate.

O'rly....If thats true thats crap considering there is no Orange shop nearby to me. Im thinking of just ringing them and cancelling the contract. Only have the 16th MArch and 16th of April to pay if they were to fine me and I would make that back by selling the current Phone.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
O'rly....If thats true thats crap considering there is no Orange shop nearby to me. Im thinking of just ringing them and cancelling the contract. Only have the 16th MArch and 16th of April to pay if they were to fine me and I would make that back by selling the current Phone.

I believe so.

With Vodafone (my provider), it's 1 month online, 3 months if you go into a store and fill out a new contract there.

I did mine 2 months early, and got another 24 month contract, but they add the remaining two months, so I'm on a 26 month contact.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I bailed on my phone contract .. bought a new unlocked google nexus (not the 4 - this was a while back) and I kept my number and frankly awesome contract specs (600m, 500sms (+unlimited text booster) + properly unlimited (3 years old) internet) for £14 a month :eek:

Even with buying the phone outright, I was still 3 figures up at the end of the 2 years.

GF has something similar with a phone but it's 500MB pcm and it's about 3x the price lol.

Ridiculous.

Bumder With A Buffer
I bailed on my phone contract .. bought a new unlocked google nexus (not the 4 - this was a while back) and I kept my number and frankly awesome contract specs (600m, 500sms (+unlimited text booster) + properly unlimited (3 years old) internet) for £14 a month :eek:

Even with buying the phone outright, I was still 3 figures up at the end of the 2 years.

GF has something similar with a phone but it's 500MB pcm and it's about 3x the price lol.

Ridiculous.

Yeah its crazy isn't it?

I think im on a panther 30 contract at the minute (300 mins, Unlmtd texts and 750gb data) for £36 a month....if I go on giffgaff the £10 one would suffice me as I dont use hardly no-where near my minutes limit.