ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oreca group n exhaust

Hi, im looking at getting a new oreca group n exhaust for my 172 as im unable to get a yozza which is what i would ideally like. Im just after some information, does anybody run these on road cars? If so does the noise quiten down when doing a motorway journey or do you get a whining droney noise? Any other info you can provide would be brilliant.

Cheers
Brett

Failing this im also now looking at the k-tec recessed supersport exhaust with a de-cat which seams would be more suitable

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Loudest exhaust on the market are they not? It's basically a straight through system all the way.

Sunflower Ph1 172
an exhaust can be loud on full chat, and quite when cruising like mine is. It was originally a powerflow with two silencers. After it fell apart (typically) I had the centre box removed and a straight tip welded instead of the original stealth tip. It's similar to the group-N in style now. It's very loud, but is much much quieter than the original that had a centre box when cruising (less boomy).

As said they are loud.

LewisTaylor has one (which is for sale i believe) and when i pulled up beside him on the motorway i could hear his exhaust over mine, bare in mind my cars noisy inside as stripped.

I really like the look/sound but they are far too loud for me to ever get one.

an exhaust can be loud on full chat, and quite when cruising like mine is. It was originally a powerflow with two silencers. After it fell apart (typically) I had the centre box removed and a straight tip welded instead of the original stealth tip. It's similar to the group-N in style now. It's very loud, but is much much quieter than the original that had a centre box when cruising (less boomy).

couldnt post some pics could you? As i thought about doing this with my stealth but not sure how it would look/work :)

Sunflower Ph1 172
As said they are loud.

LewisTaylor has one (which is for sale i believe) and when i pulled up beside him on the motorway i could hear his exhaust over mine, bare in mind my cars noisy inside as stripped.

I really like the look/sound but they are far too loud for me to ever get one.

couldnt post some pics could you? As i thought about doing this with my stealth but not sure how it would look/work :)

I've got a couple of photos, but none of the underneath. It's basically got a sports cat, then straight through to he backbox. Then just the same 2 1/4" straight cut pipe for the tip.

Please ignore the stupid cutout on the bumper in the first image.. Previous owner.

Day he exhaust was done..
SwissTrip2011NickPatricia077.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

They're too loud

Driving back from Wales on the motorway I ended up with ringing in my ears for 3 fecking days afterwards
Stupid exhausts and no idea how K-Tec say they're only 95db

My car is fully stripped but still
I've had a middle silencer fitted to mine which has dropped it to 92db and it's actually bearable now on long journeys - plus I can actually pass track day noise tests lol

95db idle?

Group N - 55mm Bore - Decat 63mm - dB Idle - 78DB - 4.5K RPM - 94Db

That's from there website - supposed to be 78db idle and 94db at 4.5K rpm
Which is critical because track tests are taken at 3/4 revs

In reality mine was 101db at 4.5k!
We also tested it inside the car when it was stripped out fully and it peaked on a drive at 105db - which was deafening
With the roll cage back in it was a bit quieter as I think it helped defuse the noise a bit - but I still couldn't drive it with the windows up without hearing protection :(

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I don't think I could cope with that. My WR1 was bad enough. It used to shake the house.

I've got a couple of photos, but none of the underneath. It's basically got a sports cat, then straight through to he backbox. Then just the same 2 1/4" straight cut pipe for the tip.

Please ignore the stupid cutout on the bumper in the first image.. Previous owner.

Day he exhaust was done..
SwissTrip2011NickPatricia077.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

Cheers for that! I may look into getting mine done as it will get the stealth boominess away from under the car I think :)

I know its got ITB's but this does show you how epic the noise of the oreca is!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Mine is quite loud from the outside.. not sure if it's louder than an oreca.

Last edited by a moderator:
  clio 172 cup
ive got a supersprint stealth system on my 172 cup and tbh its nice and quiet below 3k but abve 3k it just comes alive very raspy and loud and thats without decat mines going up for sale as i want a oreca one though

Trafic 140dci
Group N - 55mm Bore - Decat 63mm - dB Idle - 78DB - 4.5K RPM - 94Db

That's from there website - supposed to be 78db idle and 94db at 4.5K rpm
Which is critical because track tests are taken at 3/4 revs

In reality mine was 101db at 4.5k!
We also tested it inside the car when it was stripped out fully and it peaked on a drive at 105db - which was deafening
With the roll cage back in it was a bit quieter as I think it helped defuse the noise a bit - but I still couldn't drive it with the windows up without hearing protection :(
TBH K-tec's figures are right, mine was tested at 95.5db at 4.5k at Donnington. So think your baffles may need re-doing, as i drove to Nurburgring and back with no problems. Mine is only approx 3k miles old too.

I also past a test at Nurburgring for 95db at 3k (didn't say what i read) and 103db test at Snetterton (again didn't say what i read)

I also find between 2.5-3.5k it's very quiet (for what it is at least!) so is absolutly fine cruising at 70mph. Any faster and it does get loud...

I love mine and think it's a beautiful sounding exhaust, sadly now for sale, only due to having a 182 now!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190698616373?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
Really tempted to get one of these but thinking about fitting a 182 manifold, will the Oreca exhaust fit onto a 182 manifold or would I need an adaptor?

Sunflower Ph1 172
Really tempted to get one of these but thinking about fitting a 182 manifold, will the Oreca exhaust fit onto a 182 manifold or would I need an adaptor?

I imagine it'd need chopping down, which will obviously effect resale, unless you sold it with the car, or sold it wiht he 182 mani.

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
I imagine it'd need chopping down, which will obviously effect resale, unless you sold it with the car, or sold it wiht he 182 mani.

Is it worthwhile fitting the 182 manifold to a 172? How much difference does it make? If theres not much difference I may just stick with the standard 172 manifold.

Trafic 140dci
The whole lot here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190698616373?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Is it worthwhile fitting the 182 manifold to a 172? How much difference does it make? If theres not much difference I may just stick with the standard 172 manifold.

IMO opinion yes, but that's opening a can of worms on here....