ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OS Driveshaft for a 03 Reg Mk2 172

Renault Sport clio 1
Hey guys,

Is there any reason why there would a difference in size between a 03 reg (mine) and 02 reg MK2 172 offside drive shafts?

See below!

Mine is the top one here:
Driveshaftslength.jpg

And the left one here:
Driveshaftsends.jpg

Any thoughts?

Renault Sport clio 1
Any one any ideas?

Sent the 2 drive shafts back to the breakers and emailed them the photos.

Renault Sport clio 1
the bottom one i the first pic is longer and gaiter is bigger?

Its about a inch longer?

alien green rs133
tried the movement on it, as every driveshaft i have seen slides and ajusts length, this one might of had a replacement gaitor and this is holding it at a different length

Cro

Meg'd r27
Is it not different to the far left of it aswell, top one has like a ring around it?

Renault Sport clio 1
That ring is from where the bearing casing as broken and why i need a new one! :-(

Renault Sport clio 1
It looks the same yes but the one i was supplied is a inch longer????

You can see it in the bottom pic????

53 Clio's & counting
are they both genuine Renault? I had an aftermarket shaft on my valver and when i put a genuine Renault one on i found the genuine one was an inch longer

They could have come out of a different gearbox. They switched to having speedo output from ABS rather than the diff around that time. Yours being an 03 I wouldn't expect to have the speedo output. But the 02 172 may have had one and this may mean a different diff/gearbox and hence different length driveshaft.

Renault Sport clio 1
My Drive shaft has been on since new!

Now that makes sense about the speedo output!

Cheers Mark!

53 Clio's & counting
all ph2s (exept the cup) had the ABS driven speedo's mate, all ph1s had the diff driven speedo, so maybe its a cup shaft?

Renault Sport clio 1
but would the cups have the ABS ring?

Or was the ABS ring used on the cups for the speedo?

Renault Sport clio 1
So the longer on i was sent can't be the cup one then as its got a ABS ring?

Why do car manufacturers make ti so difficult? lol

53 Clio's & counting
because thery were probably drunk on wine when they designed it lol

im suprised if there is any difference, maybe they sent you one from another vehicle?

Renault Sport clio 1
Going to ring the breakers at lunch and go from there?

He should know the difference!

I just need to sort this ASAP as my MOT is due tomo and My Tax on Thursday! Grrr!