ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oscillating humming at around 50mph

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Possibly and odd one.

I am not sure if its new or if I have just started noticing it, but at around 50mph I get an oscillating humming noise, sounds like its coming from the front end.

When I put the clutch it and coast its still there, I think it could be wheel bearing (which would be timely as I have 2 new ones to go in with me powder coated front end) but I wondered if anyone else had experienced something similar and what it turned out to be (im hoping my gearbox isn't about to sh*t itself everywhere :ROFLMAO: )

TIA
Rich

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Does it sound like this

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Does it sound like this

Thankfully not! That sounds horrible!!

Its more subtle, its almost like an electrical sound, but im pretty sure its mechanical. I am going to try and record it later today.

Initially I thought bearing but it doesn't really seem to match wheel speed in the oscillation rate.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
My hunch was diff bearing, but I would've expected that to get more noticeable at higher wheel speeds.
So at higher speeds it seems to pretty much go away.

I drove to 70 and i struggled to really notice it. Then I put the clutch in and coasted to 40 and it became really noticeable around 50 again, that’s defo where it’s at it’s worst.

I got a video but it’s really hard to make it out over the engine noise.

I’m going to check the stuff I can get to easily and go from there I guess.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I have similar on my Meg 250 after wacking it up a curb trying to avoid some bellend doing a u-turn with me in his way last year. I’ve had the wheel bearing and intermediate shaft bearing replaced and it’s still there, most noticeable at 70 but starting to hear it as low as 40 now. Noise stays while in neutral at speed, has to be the Gearbox input bearing/diff bearings.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I have similar on my Meg 250 after wacking it up a curb trying to avoid some bellend doing a u-turn with me in his way last year. I’ve had the wheel bearing and intermediate shaft bearing replaced and it’s still there, most noticeable at 70 but starting to hear it as low as 40 now. Noise stays while in neutral at speed, has to be the Gearbox input bearing/diff bearings.
Is there any way of testing it? Guess it’s going to be soon time to whip the box off. 😫

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
So at higher speeds it seems to pretty much go away.

I drove to 70 and i struggled to really notice it. Then I put the clutch in and coasted to 40 and it became really noticeable around 50 again, that’s defo where it’s at it’s worst.

I got a video but it’s really hard to make it out over the engine noise.

I’m going to check the stuff I can get to easily and go from there I guess.
Are you sure it’s not wheel bearings? I never noticed mine at high speeds, but as I approached roundabouts it became more obvious. I had little to no play in mine but they we’re just rusty and dry.

Plus I’d do them as a matter of course, especially as you’re going to track it.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Are you sure it’s not wheel bearings? I never noticed mine at high speeds, but as I approached roundabouts it became more obvious. I had little to no play in mine but they were just rusty and dry.
At the moment I have no real idea. My first sense was wheel bearings. The rears are new(ish) so figured probably fronts. The front hubs are in for powder coating so, I figure I’ll start there when I ch she the front end and see if that helps.