ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OSI Vs. IP - 1986

Better than yours. C*nt.
Say what? TCP/IP isn't anything to do with OSI surely, it's just a part which can form a network based on the OSI model? I think?

Not a 320d
Yer TCP/IP and OSI are seperate things although they are both forms of communication...IIRC ofc. Both models on which data can be sent and broken down isnt it ?

Im asking what the differences between Internet Protocol and OSI were, and what they are trying to say in the '86 Protocol Wars thing. Or if the OSI they refer to is different to what im talking about.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
OSI is what IS-IS is based on iirc

its been awhile lol

from what i remember OSI was actually the better protocol

Don't confuse OSI with the OSI model used to understand TCP/IP

Not a 320d
Right thats what i was asking lol. So what the hell was OSI then, they say it was slow to work with. not covered this since last year im a little rusty lol.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Jesus now you're asking lol

It didn't use I.P at all it had its own addressing protocol and the addresses looked more like MAC addresses rather than what you're used to seeing with I.P

It also used different numbers to recognise different devices, so any device ending in .00 is a router (or intermediary device)

i cant hardly remember it myself lol, the best thing to do is learn the IS-IS routing protocol as that is based on OSI and not TCP/IP, it'll all make sense then

Not a 320d
I wont be covering IS-IS until i start CCNP, cant say im looking forward to it. I just needed an expolenation to help understand what it was.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
osi-model-7-layers.png

This is the OSI model, networking in general fits into this model. TCP/IP is just a protocol as is IS-IS, RIP, FTP, ICMP etc. some protocols fit into multiple layers, some only deal with one layer.

For if you are using a ftp client, it will probably go through all 7 layers before it leaves your computer, then back through the 7 layers in reverse at the server end... (an over simplified explanation for sure but hope that helps)

DMS

A thirsty 172
TCP/IP is actually two protocols - Transmission Control Protocol over Internet Protocol. IP = Layer 3, TCP = Layer 4. But you probably already knew that :p

The OSI you're referring to is "Open Systems Interconnection". It was a set of standards developed by industry leaders to try to encourage vendor interoperability at a time when many vendors were trying to push their own networking technologies. Someone realised it'd be better for the industry if they were all "singing from the same hymn sheet".

Not a 320d
This is the OSI model, networking in general fits into this model. TCP/IP is just a protocol as is IS-IS, RIP, FTP, ICMP etc. some protocols fit into multiple layers, some only deal with one layer.

For if you are using a ftp client, it will probably go through all 7 layers before it leaves your computer, then back through the 7 layers in reverse at the server end... (an over simplified explanation for sure but hope that helps)

Thanks but i was after info on the protocol not the model. :rasp: Cheers anyways.

TCP/IP is actually two protocols - Transmission Control Protocol over Internet Protocol. IP = Layer 3, TCP = Layer 4. But you probably already knew that :p

The OSI you're referring to is "Open Systems Interconnection". It was a set of standards developed by industry leaders to try to encourage vendor interoperability at a time when many vendors were trying to push their own networking technologies. Someone realised it'd be better for the industry if they were all "singing from the same hymn sheet".

Ill be honest and admit i didnt know TCP was layer 3 and Ip layer 4, not really clued up on TCP/IP and i couldnt name you the layers off the top of my head either.

Ip won because it was american i guess, and it was suppoedly faster. :star:

It's like being at work in here >_<

Hup :eek:

Thanks for the help everyone, wasnt sure what they were on about when they mentioned IP Vs. OSI. Understand it enough to coninue with this assignment now.