ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Our ring and spa report (3 TF days, 1 trackday at ring, 1 trackday at spa) Pics/Video

Re: Our ring and spa report (3 TF days, 1 trackday at ring, 1 trackday at spa) Pics/V

Fantastic write up Chip, the pics are brilliant. Again thanks for helping me out with the injector, I would have been well and truly f**ked. (p.s need to change this weird Japanese name) lol

Porky, Thanks again for your help in the car park and for the pax ride in that animal you call a car...that Radical driver knew you was there, he just did not want to let you pass....there was so much of that at the Spa day, drivers not wanting to be overtaking by smaller cars ;)

Ash, I hope you get the engine sorted soon mate, the car looks the nuts on track. Did you manage to get a time of the lap?

Roll on Spa October 2013 ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Re: Our ring and spa report (3 TF days, 1 trackday at ring, 1 trackday at spa) Pics/V

Andy/ Matt, glad you enjoyed reading it.

Sam, the tyres were great in both the wet and dry, I think they are the best allrounders that I have tried yet TBH, so they are perfect for something like this trip where there are loads of road miles and both wet and dry.
Only downside I would say that I have found with them so far is the outside shoulder is wearing ridiculously quickly, I realise that a little more camber would obviously help with that (its a roadcar not a trackday car really) but I mean compared to other tyres we have run on the same car too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Sonny, pleasure meeting you and thanks for giving us a hand pushing James's ornament of a car about, lol

See you there same time next year no doubt mate :)

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member

Fantastic write up chip!

Looks like a great laugh was had, i'm aiming to head out to the ring next year can't wait :)

Mental 172 Cup

As much as we dont always see eye to eye, was a very interesting read, looked like an epic holiday and spa looks like a awesome track.. cant actually wait to get back to the ring now tbh..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Awesome photos and write up. :)

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Fantastic write up chip!

Looks like a great laugh was had, i'm aiming to head out to the ring next year can't wait :)

Its a totally epic place, but stick to at least one of the following (we did both)
1) Drive at 8/10ths, treat it like an epic road with no police on, rather than balls out on track
2) Get well insured for the trip

Its not unheard of for someone to get a 100K bill, as if you make a mistake (or drop some oil) that makes someone else crash their porsche, its you that is legally liable for their loss

As much as we dont always see eye to eye
Sorry mate, I dont recall that, I speak to quite a lot of people on here and have a bad memory for who said what TBH

was a very interesting read, looked like an epic holiday and spa looks like a awesome track.. cant actually wait to get back to the ring now tbh..
Its properly addictive, once you start going its hard to stop for sure.
I used to try and get out there at least a couple of times a year, but think we are going to start doing just one trip a year but longer one and with spa too.

Mental 172 Cup

Sorry mate, I dont recall that, I speak to quite a lot of people on here and have a bad memory for who said what TBH

If you can forget the disagreements weve had then they cant of been that important.. ha

Its properly addictive, once you start going its hard to stop for sure.
I used to try and get out there at least a couple of times a year, but think we are going to start doing just one trip a year but longer one and with spa too.

Yeh I did brands last week and the only thing that stopped me was the fact I ran out of fuel then the track closed.. Spa is definatly on my to do list..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

If you can forget the disagreements weve had then they cant of been that important.. ha

TBH mate I just reply to posts as I read them and I dont take much notice of who made them, so honestly cant remember what we chatted about.

Yeh I did brands last week and the only thing that stopped me was the fact I ran out of fuel then the track closed.. Spa is definatly on my to do list..

Spa is properly hard on the car, the off camber bends put massive loading on the outside of the tyres in particular, so if you plan on being out all day make sure you have a setup thats suitable (we had nowhere near enough camber and not hard enough suspension as this is just my mrs road car, even though at the ring it was epic), the outside shoulders of our tyres are literally totally smooth now and they were new before the trip other than a few sessions at llandow.

Eau rouge is certainly an unusual corner, cant think of anything similar Ive done on any other track yet.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

epic pics!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

epic pics!

Thanks Dawn, bet those filthy brakedust covered wheels and all that muck up the car is annoying you though. lol

Les was gutted it was raining today so she couldnt detail it, hopefully will be dry here tomorrow.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

Lol, just a little maybe :eek:

I like the way you manage to fix everything thrown at you.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Lol, just a little maybe :eek:

I like the way you manage to fix everything thrown at you.

TBH I quite like fixing stuff, especially with limited tools etc, its a challenge. Appeals to my problem solving nature, lol

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26

lol well feel free to pop down some time to look at my vee's wheel! ;)

Mental 172 Cup

Spa is properly hard on the car, the off camber bends put massive loading on the outside of the tyres in particular, so if you plan on being out all day make sure you have a setup thats suitable (we had nowhere near enough camber and not hard enough suspension as this is just my mrs road car, even though at the ring it was epic), the outside shoulders of our tyres are literally totally smooth now and they were new before the trip other than a few sessions at llandow.

Eau rouge is certainly an unusual corner, cant think of anything similar Ive done on any other track yet.

Sounds good, well the car is coming off the road for the winter and some pretty cool things going on.. back out next summer.. it was fully caged for brands and only movement I had really was in the suspension (apex springs) and tyres (federal 595 rsr) I do have eibach camber bolts with full negative camber but it doesnt make the world of difference..

GSXR + KDX220

Great write up!! Also, really liking the "dusky low light" pics at the Ring :) I must go again next year!

I30N, LS430, 197

That FFRacing car was FFucking quick on the Monday, went past me on one lap chasing 2 Astons, they did not seem pleased. I'll try get the video up in the next few days.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Nice one, Chip - great write-up and pics! Cheers for sharing :D

Ph2 172

Excellent read, if I ever come back to the UK regular jaunts across Europe will have to be done. Seems like you had a brilliant time both in and out of the car. Thanks for sharing.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I can vouch for this. Good man!

Lol, suppose as technically I was still on my way home from the ring when I detoured to your place to fix your car I should have mentioned you in the report really. All ok with it still after you took it on a decent test drive?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Great write up!! Also, really liking the "dusky low light" pics at the Ring :) I must go again next year!

The idea with those was to show that it was autumn time of year according to the arty type who took those particular pictures. Lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

That FFRacing car was Ff**king quick on the Monday, went past me on one lap chasing 2 Astons, they did not seem pleased. I'll try get the video up in the next few days.
He was passing everything on the downhills, that car handles well and he can really pedal it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Nice one, Chip - great write-up and pics! Cheers for sharing :D

Saw your mates there, ricard with the 350z had a mate of mine called dan as his passenger, it's a small world.
You have to come too next year!

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Yeah, he is good, although if he keeps being so brave with trusting people by sitting 18" off their bumper at 100mph+ he is going to have a nasty surprise somewhere like a combe action day.

Alot of people are very uncomfortable with strangers sitting that close. Its poor trackday Etiquette and can actually sometimes spook people into mistakes and accidents. James is one of THE nicest people in the world and just won't have realised this so you should have told him. We all get carried away ME included! but it should be discouraged and pointed out that they were trackdays... its not racing. They are different things.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Alot of people are very uncomfortable with strangers sitting that close. Its poor trackday Etiquette and can actually sometimes spook people into mistakes and accidents. James is one of THE nicest people in the world and just won't have realised this so you should have told him. We all get carried away ME included! but it should be discouraged and pointed out that they were trackdays... its not racing. They are different things.

Yes mate, I did mention to him that his "racing driver special skill" of sitting right on people's bumpers was probably best left to races where at the bare minimum people have an ARDS license where as on a trackday they might be complete numpties.

That said, if we get your car his car and my turbo out at combe, I bet you'd sooner have a crash than let either of us get away anyhow, flol.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

That said, if we get your car his car and my turbo out at combe, I bet you'd sooner have a crash than let either of us get away anyhow, flol.

I said 'strangers'

Its different with friends. Days of Thunder rules apply then. ;)

Sadly I think I'd come last in that race.... he is the fastest driver and you have the faster car!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I said 'strangers'

Like strangers in random evo's at combe going into the first chicane chasing martin, give them loads of room etc? that sort of thing? LOL

Its different with friends. Days of Thunder rules apply then. ;)

Rubbings racing ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I had that covered as well ;)

Boo, Im properly in the mood for it now after the ring trip and its about 4 or 5 months till the decent trackdays start up again for me now, need to spend the pennies on maintenance and upgrades over winter instead of using them.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

hahahah.... guess where I am going Sunday and Monday!

yep! Ring and Spa again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooooooooooohoooooo

Just booking it now

Just deciding on vehicle. Its gonna be VERY wet... thinking Audi RS4 is the way forward this time

Last edited:

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS

Great write up mate, and genuine admiration to your blase' attitude to just fixing stuff as you went along as well, great read. Besides James engine, think that might of been a bit beyond that lol.

I'm 100% going next year at some point, even if it kills me

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

I am going with a mate and his 430 Scuderia and his 2 buddies in GT3's... excited, but it won't compare with last weekend as no Westy, no Clio v Lotus battles... AND its gonna be wet wet wet!

Staying at same hotel... so more great restaurant service ;)

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS

I'd love to take a scud round there, or even just a 430 in fairness. The only thing I can think of that would be more fun isn't fit for television lol

Great write up mate, and genuine admiration to your blase' attitude to just fixing stuff as you went along as well, great read.

Good write up Chip, makes me want to get back over there - long time since my first and only trips....92-93 lol.

Can you put a list of the bits\spares you carried (or wish you carried), also what app's on your laptop to code read.

Thinking I need to be better prepared when racing as I take next to nothing and would be quite stuck if the inevitable happens...

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

I'd love to take a scud round there, or even just a 430 in fairness. The only thing I can think of that would be more fun isn't fit for television lol

or if the weather changes I am taking my F430 for sure. It just looks horribly wet at the moment so there are better options.

Ash, I hope you get the engine sorted soon mate, the car looks the nuts on track. Did you manage to get a time of the lap?

Roll on Spa October 2013 ;)
Thanks mate and great to meet you :) I think the spec is sorted just got to fund it now lol! I will have done on the logger but not had to chance to look yet. Once I get home on Sunday I will have a look!

I definitly can't wait till October lol
That FFRacing car was Ff**king quick on the Monday, went past me on one lap chasing 2 Astons, they did not seem pleased. I'll try get the video up in the next few days.
Hahaa thank you mate :) You mean at the ring? Did you see me wave at the fellow renaultsport :)? lol I have got it on video too so will make sure I put that bit up
Yes mate it's 100% my fault, Chip did mention it and I hadn't noticed I was doing it but I will pay special attention next time i'm doing trackdays as I do agree with both of you on that!
Yes mate, I did mention to him that his "racing driver special skill" of sitting right on people's bumpers was probably best left to races where at the bare minimum people have an ARDS license where as on a trackday they might be complete numpties.

Yes mate as above I don't even realise it and always used to get told off for been a pussy and not getting close enough to people lol! I will watch out in future so thanks for the advice both of you :)
hahahah.... guess where I am going Sunday and Monday!

yep! Ring and Spa again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooooooooooohoooooo

Just booking it now

Just deciding on vehicle. Its gonna be VERY wet... thinking Audi RS4 is the way forward this time
Ahhhh so jelous mate!! Have fun and yes RS4 would be an epic choice for the whole trip :D