ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Over the noise limit during a track day

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Right chaps. Recently I took the cup to brands for a noise test and blew 100 db bang on even though I've previously been 94 with the same exhaust but hey ho. I bought a mid section from ktec incase I was ever at a low limit track day. Now, I've booked a day at bedford with a limit of 100 and don't plan to change the exhaust before.

If on the day I was to get pulled for noise would I be allowed to change my exhaust centre section, be retested and allowed back on?

That ^^^^^ Organisers ultimately need you to be there so take a fair & pragmatic approach.

Long term I'd stick a centre silencer or new backbox on. F*** changing exhausts every trackday just for 2 BHP extra on the road/louder tracks inbetween.

If you must go all Motorsport-esque, keep the loud exhaust & make room behind the bumper for a Supertrapp. Compact, lightweight, emergency, 30-seconds-to-fit bolt-on silencers. Ideal to fit mid-race in things like Britcar where broken exhausts get black flagged 5 times in the middle of the night.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
yeah I did, drove it up to the circuit so was on the road for a good 20 minutes prior to the test. They asked for over 5k to measure which was annoying

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
yeah I did, drove it up to the circuit so was on the road for a good 20 minutes prior to the test. They asked for over 5k to measure which was annoying

Tbf 100db's in a clio is pretty loud !

My Duc with baffles puts out 107db's at 4.5k leant over. Only reason they let me run is because Ducati have a deal with msv.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
yeah I don't see why it was 100 db. It's a k tec super sport so nothing unusual. Last year it was 94 or 96 I forget but with dbs being on a log scale I can't understand how it's reached 100.

I've got cams now but I doubt they make any different.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Just to add Bedford are one of the strictest so I would just change it no point having to back off past all the sensors all day Imo.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
At Oulton some of the cars I've seen get on has been lol. I forget the car in the garage next to me but it was ridiculous.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Have now swapped to a resonated centre section which has made a big difference to the noise.
Will have no problems next weekend now hopefully :).....for noise anyway.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Croft is 84db!
I got rid of my noisy exhaust after getting pulled a couple of times at Donington.
Very expensive mistake if you get sent home......

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
It's a % of revs I thought. He asked what it revved to then told me 5250 IIRC.

Lie. My DC5 only revs to 8000.

Yeah watch out at Bedford - MSV run a "one strike and you're out" noise limit policy there, not sure about other TDOs.

Actually, IME, MSV have been better at Bedford than other TDO's hosting events there. At the last Javelin day they were operating one strike and out policy.

MSV will noise board you if you get to within 1db of the limit, which is quite nice.

Bedford on track mics for noise are linked to the local council , they really don't want them triggered as it affect their planning permission , and thats not something they want or need .

Noise tests should be 0.5m from the exhaust at 75% max rpm.

and the wadding inside a baffle disintegrated over time , so all exhausts get louder , changes in weather and where the test is carried out and what surface its done on all make a difference .

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Im worried about this. Ive measured 94db at 4k but apparantly thats not 75% and should be around 5.25k? It hits the limiter at 6000 when in neutral

Renault 5 gt turbo
Noise test always vary, most tracks are very strict now and throw you off. makes it an expensive few laps.
Just make it quiet for a hassle free day........

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
My clio was 97db cold with a scorpion decat resonated system which they measured at Oulton park and said it was fine, they measured at 5k because I said it revs to 7k.

Load of b****cks really, especially when the rally cars run it with some of the WRC cars being well over 100DB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk