ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overfilled oil by dealer, should I worry?

Just bought a 2001 Clio 172 from my local Renault dealer and they were brilliant but I've had it two weeks now so I thought I'd check my oil and it was half an inch above max, should I have some drained or is it ok?

Leon Cupra R 225
12mm? thats quite a bit. tell them they are lame and you'll be taking them down in court for any damages ;)

Mondeo TDCI 130
Take it back and show them your dissaproval! thats taking the p*ss, bet the apprentice did it! as long as it was cold & level when checked!

M

Mark E-J

need 2 drain some out m8 or u will have white smoke coming out i learnt that the hard way when i blew the rings due 2 an overfill of oil it was a schoolboy error on my part

if theres no smoke u might be lucky just drain a bit or take it back

Focus ST
Might be worth finding a better garage.

For servicing and especially oil changes I use BBPerformanceTuning. They can stamp the books for servicing, so keeps the warrenty going.

M

Mark E-J

saving the cash now 2 go up there and get bits done on my valver!

back on topic though i hope u get a good outcome m8

Told dealer, he freaked, said take it in and oil will be sorted ASAP. Have driven the car for two weeks now and had one long, hard thrash, car seems a little slower than it was but it may be me getting used to it. Dealer is brilliant, nothing is too much trouble. Fingers crossed.

wrx sti ppp (305bhp)
ooops mine is about an inch above the max level... where do u drain the oil from?, its been like this for about 3 weeks no probs, but shud i drain sum?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It doesn't instill confidence in the dealership if they can't even get a simple thing right like filling up the oil to the correct level does it . Its not exactly rocket science , thats what the dipsticks for at the end of the day , to check the level .

M

Mark E-J

what i did was drain the oil all of it and replaced the filter and filled back up with new oil but i overfilled mine really bad as i said schoolboy error on my part took it for a long drive then not raging it just sensible

but was 2 late my rings went dont panic like ,

if u aint got white smoke out the back of u exhaust just take it for a long spin use up the oil or just empty a little out should be fine

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Mark E-J said:
if u aint got white smoke out the back of u exhaust just take it for a long spin use up the oil or just empty a little out should be fine

hopefully the car shouldnt really be using any oil? i know my car doesnt burn any oil (touch wood) and im pretty sure thats how it shud be

Clio 1.2 Expression
i'm gonna go check mine now as i've only just got it from a dealer, the computer said it was full so will check it manually

M

Mark E-J

russ9898 said:
hopefully the car shouldnt really be using any oil? i know my car doesnt burn any oil (touch wood) and im pretty sure thats how it shud be

not burning oil but using oil
the more u drive a car the more oil it uses

otherwise u would only need 2 fill a car with oil once and it would last for ever

if u go on long drives or go quickly u use more oil

burining oil aint healthy

Clio 1.2 Expression
Sminp said:
i'm gonna go check mine now as i've only just got it from a dealer, the computer said it was full so will check it manually

christ i just checked the oil and its about a centimetre above maximum. what the hell is wrong with these dealers, is a centimetre a lot?

Mark E-J said:
not burning oil but using oil
the more u drive a car the more oil it uses

otherwise u would only need 2 fill a car with oil once and it would last for ever

if u go on long drives or go quickly u use more oil

burining oil aint healthy

Mark, your oil should (within reason) not need topping up ever. New cars can burn a bit during the freeing up process, very old cars can burn a lot (some burn none).

Most modern cars use almost no oil at all.

If your car is burning amounts that are noticeable by the level on the dipstick after a long run then you're in trouble my man.:(

Big trouble.:eek:

Better get some 'Wynns Stop Smoke' and get your car on Autotrader!:cry:

M

Mark E-J

my astra h sri uses a fair bit of oil on long runs fact and its a 55 plate m8

my clio does not smoke at all

i was refering 2 previous experiences with a rover convertable i used 2 own which was overfilled with oil hence the white smoke and we wernt talking small amountsof smoke im talking nobody can see amounts of smoke caused by a simple overfill of oil

most vaux engines are heavy oil