ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting Calipers/drums

Ph1 172 + Combo van
i redone mine today so they look fresh for trax. cleaned up and used some 800 grit on them to get them smooth. the pressure washer doesnt cause mine to flake, never had a problem with hammerite.

Dodgy one
Preparation is the key, I got a wire brush on my front calipers and some degreaser made them dull and applied a few thin layers of hammerite a year later theyre still the same, The rears i took the caliper apart and took the pad holder off and got the angle grinder on with the wire brush attatchment they are good as new now,

You could if you wanted dunk the holder in ketchup/ coke/ vinegar to de-rust them, wire brush is quicker though but not as thorough

Clio 182
I used HammerRite smooth, for mine, came up a treat and still looks good, however i done them Black, and now a want a change, any suggestions to what colour i should do my calipers, my car is black you see. I done them black just to smarten them up a bit, now i am in the mood for something more daring! Ohhh Get me! lol

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
black is the future

DSCF0515.jpg

DSCF0513.jpg

DSCF0512.jpg

DSCF0505.jpg

DSCF0508.jpg

DSCF0496.jpg

DSCF0498.jpg

Inner wheel painting is the real future! :rasp:
DSCF0523.jpg

Writen off dci 100
I used HammerRite smooth, for mine, came up a treat and still looks good, however i done them Black, and now a want a change, any suggestions to what colour i should do my calipers, my car is black you see. I done them black just to smarten them up a bit, now i am in the mood for something more daring! Ohhh Get me! lol

yellow !

is it best to use the paint and brush cos iv got a tin of spray to do mine

plus could i take the whole caliper off and paint the lot (would this affect the movement of the pad) as im gunna stick them in the sand blaster at work.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
there is no need to take the caliper off mate as it is easy enough with a brush. if you do though you will need to bleed the brake fluid once you put the caliper back on.

120d M Sport
TQuestion for this is, if anyone can help me, how long do you need to leave them for?

Slightly conerned about leaving the car jacked up for a good while on the drive whilst waiting to dry...how long before the wheels can be put back on?

C

clvs2222

you could put the wheels back on within half hour if your carefull not to touch the paint bits, but i wouldnt move the car for a good 6 hours, otherwise you'll have paint splattered everywhere frmo past experience

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
i just painted and put the wheels right back on. you just gotta be careful you dont touch the caliper.

and yeh, wait until properly dry before driving.

106 GTi
I have always tried to leave the car 12 hours before drving it after painting them.

I used lime green enamel paint made by plastikote, and black hammerite on the drums on the back! I used the cracked metal black. Never had a problem. I wire brushed, painted left for 15, put wheel on jacked other side up, painted, wheel on, otherside and so on to get the coats in a short timespace, then i left both for half hour, and had to go out (dry day) and there was no splattering! and they look fine!!

Thinking of giving my ones a bash when the weather brightens up. Black/Gold 182. Would people suggest yellow or black ? Hammermite seems to be pretty cheap and getting good reviews on this thread. I take it one tin will do both the front ? Should i paint the back drums as well or just the front calipers?

cheers.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
i got a flamer and thought yellow/gold calipers would work the best with the colour of th car, any sergestions?

200 Gordini
Possibly got a unit to do mine in tonight.

If i painted them and left the the last one for 2 hours it wouldn't hurt driving home to leave overnight would it, its about a mile?