ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting Info wanted - Paint in spray cans

Monaco Blue Mk2
I'm wanting some bits colour coded and was thinking of getting it done professionaly but then thought if I'm gonna pay out I may as well have a go myself first. Just been down to the local car spares and they have spray cans. In the Renault section there was all the familiar colours and one missing, Monaco Blue Pearl...mine! The paint is made by Holts. The bloke said he could order it in for me.

What I want to know is, will it be a decent colour match and good enough for say, door handles, side strips etc?

Also, what sort of prep should I be looking at? Cleaning, sanding, priming, paint, wet sand, paint, wet sand. How many coats?
On the some of the colours it said two stage, indicating a clearcoat laquer was needed, it didn't say two stage for mine but I'm guessing I would need to laquer aswel?

Any help apreciated, thanks.

172 cup'd extreme
If you gonna do it yourself go to the local paint factors they will supply you with a spot on match plus decent primer and laquer for a little more than a generic colour. monaco blue will have about 10 shades

Mazda MX5 1.8
trying to do my gfs spoiler as we speak.

not going well tbh.... but a learning experience and £20 isnt a big deal if its total crap in the end

think ill just take it to a bodyshop and ask them to re-do it

Mazda MX5 1.8
i take back what i previously said....... i managed to get it right on the final coat of paint. now (apart from a few minor runs in the paint) it looks pretty good.

just gotta laquer it tomorrow

Monaco Blue Mk2
16v_jon said:
If you gonna do it yourself go to the local paint factors they will supply you with a spot on match plus decent primer and laquer for a little more than a generic colour. monaco blue will have about 10 shades

OK thanks, it did say it was Renault Monaco Blue Pearl so I thought it might be OK but if it's just a generic one then I'll source out a paint place (North West - Widnes, Runcorn, Warrington, Chester areas if anyone knows any)

Chocolate Bar™
if you dont feel confident having a go then dont bother wasting your money.

i sprayed my bumpstrips and wasnt happy with the finish, so took it to the bodyshop to respray. as ive used cellulose loads of bodyshops wouldnt touch them, and the final company that did do say they could do then ended up doing a fairly crap job. mainly because they have to use sealer primer, instead of 2pack primer so its nowhere near as smooth.

Chocolate Bar™
Blue4Ever said:
OK thanks, it did say it was Renault Monaco Blue Pearl so I thought it might be OK but if it's just a generic one then I'll source out a paint place (North West - Widnes, Runcorn, Warrington, Chester areas if anyone knows any)

auto-paint st helens are really good

Monaco Blue Mk2
Middo said:
auto-paint st helens are really good

Thanks mate, I'll go on yellow pages now.

I feel fairly confident to have a go to be honest, at the end of the day if I mess it up I'll sort it out in the end either with new bump strips etc or getting it sorted at a bodyshop.

Monaco Blue Mk2
What sort of quantity do you think will be needed to do both side strips and handles? 1 can - 400ml be enough?

Mazda MX5 1.8
1 can should be fine

ive used - 1 primer, 1 paint & 1 lacquer
and 2 sheets of wet&dry - 1x800 + 1x1500

and thats for a AX GT spoiler which is suprisingly quite big to paint as its double sided and has nasty curved edges which were a pain

planning on trying to do my bits on my clio sometime

Chocolate Bar™
are you referring to the laquer? i used the exact same laquer and the results were very good :) because its acrylic and not cellulose i find its easier to apply

Monaco Blue Mk2
Middo said:
are you referring to the laquer? i used the exact same laquer and the results were very good :) because its acrylic and not cellulose i find its easier to apply

Yes mate, the primer and laquer I was refering to. I'm gonna go out and get my paint code now and then order off their site. Thanks for that, good set-up they seem to have.

Chocolate Bar™
yeah, very professional, really know their stuff. I've used their laquer but not their primer, laquer was great cant comment on the primer, top coats have always been good :)

Shhh
How about you get in touch with the renault bodyshop and ask them if they have any cars coming in with your colour, and ask them to paint the strips at the same time. I have a body shop near me which does loads of renault work, think its 4 dealers worth.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
if you want a good finish then you'll be looking at, sanding it down.

3 x primer (grey plastic primer is a good option)

3 x colour, more if needed

and a good 3 laquers, as if you dont laquer it well it will just come straight off when u come to wash your car or anything like that.

make sure before you spray the surface is clean, use surface cleaner or brake cleaner...something along those lines. This will dry the plastic out because plastic naturally createsits own grease!

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
as for colour coding, just go to halfords and they'll mix it up for you then and there. if you dont have te colour code ring renault and give them your number plate and they'll tell you the paint code!

Monaco Blue Mk2
AliasOmega said:
How about you get in touch with the renault bodyshop and ask them if they have any cars coming in with your colour, and ask them to paint the strips at the same time. I have a body shop near me which does loads of renault work, think its 4 dealers worth.

Decent Idea, how would I get in touch with/find the one near me? Any Ideas how much they'd want for, front and rear bumper plastics, side strips, handles, bootlock and spoiler?

Thanks for the tips b3nje.

Chocolate Bar™
Blue4Ever said:
Decent Idea, how would I get in touch with/find the one near me? Any Ideas how much they'd want for, front and rear bumper plastics, side strips, handles, bootlock and spoiler?

Thanks for the tips b3nje.

i was quoted around 300 for all that when i wanted my car done, but that was just 'normal' rate off the bodyshop - so no cash in hand deals.

needless to say it didnt get done lol

Monaco Blue Mk2
Middo said:
i was quoted around 300 for all that when i wanted my car done, but that was just 'normal' rate off the bodyshop - so no cash in hand deals.

needless to say it didnt get done lol

Yeah, I thought I'd be looking around £200-300.

That's why I was wanting to have a go myself. only £20ish quid down if I'm s**t, then can save a bit more and get it done professionaly.

Chocolate Bar™
i had a go at doing my side strips and used 2 cans at each stage.

at halfrauds prices that going to be around £40 unless you buy the big cans of primer and lacquer lol