ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting my brembos, primer?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Hi there, im fitting brembos to my car but they are in a bit of a sorry state at the moment, lacquer peeling etc, i want to paint them red but how do i need to prep them? Do i need to use primer?

My plan is to plaint them red, refit some new stickers and then lacquer them again. Can anyone advise on best paint/lacquer to use?

Patrick

Brembo.jpg

Clio1.2 16v & LR Defender
First off give them a good old sand down.

Then if you can, get a wire brush attatchment for a drill and give that good going over.

Now make sure you clean them to get rid of any paint particals or metal dust lying in the small areas. I used a diving cylinder to give mine a good blast. Or get a brush :)

After that you can paint them with high heat reistance paint. Price £9.99 Halfords.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_175090_langId_-1_categoryId_165495

You dont need to laquer as this paint is very robust and shiny anyway.

Good

These are mine that I did a week or so ago.

DSC01726.jpg

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
You will need to lacquer over the stickers if you want them to stay put....

yep!

sand them down? really? the brembos have a like plastic covering on them. I fi start sanding them its going ot make a dogs dinner fo the surface finish. I was thinking i could just make sure they are spotless clean and then paint straight on?

M140i
You might need to sand the caliper to make the finish coarse enough for the paint to adhere to, or it might not look any good, im no expert though lol!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You will need to lacquer over the stickers if you want them to stay put....

Not true. I repainted my 197 ones, and my decals aint lacqured, and they are fine. Get good quality ones and you should be ok.

Last edited:
  M140i
Not true. I repainted my 197 ones, and my decals aint laqured, and they are fine. Get good quality ones and you should be ok.

I wouldn't necessarily say not true, your instance yes, not every instance. I have a little experience in this field tbh

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
You shouldn't need to prime them unless there's bare bits of plastic showing where the pain has come away. Make sure you scotch the area you're painting, otherwise it'll just flake off. Lacquer over the stickers too.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
You shouldn't need to prime them unless there's bare bits of plastic showing where the pain has come away. Make sure you scotch the area you're painting, otherwise it'll just flake off. Lacquer over the stickers too.

scotch?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member

Is it like a sanding pad because i have wire wooled the whole surface prior to painting?