ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paintwork doesn't feel very smooth?

Ph2 172
Hi everyone,

I have had my 172 a couple of weeks now and have given it a couple of washes and waxed it once, but even straight after washing it the paintwork doesn't feel very smooth. It looks shiny and the water beads off it, but it doesn't have the same smooth and glossy feel that my old VTS used to when i waxed it. What can I do to make it nice and smooth?

Ph2 172
I'd say its more gritty than bumpy, but it doesn't feel really rough or anything. I've never used clay before and heard a lot of people who have scratched their paint using it, is it fairly simple to apply?

Yes your car needs clayed.The clay bar will help get rid of the tree sap and all other small contaminenets that are not always visible to the eye.A clay lubricant or quick detailer spray is also needed to help the clay lubricate your paint surafce whilst rubbing with the clay bar.
In the end this will create a surface as smooth as glass ready for the polishing and waxing stage

106 GTi
seb172 said:
I'd say its more gritty than bumpy, but it doesn't feel really rough or anything. I've never used clay before and heard a lot of people who have scratched their paint using it, is it fairly simple to apply?

Wash the car really well first and use plenty of the lubrication, oh er!

Ph2 172
Looks like I'll be giving it a good claying at the weekend then! Will the clay remove the swirling, or will I need to use another product for that?

106 GTi
Will need a decent polish/swirl remover to address the swirls. Claying if anything will enhance the swirls as it strips everything off to bare clean paint.

Ph2 172
OK then, would autoglym super resin polish do the job for that do you think? It'll be sweet when if I can get it looking mirror shiny

I dont think that the autoglym will do any removal of the swirls ,you will need to use a swirl removal product as it will be more abrassive than the autoglym:cool:

Ph2 172
So am I right in saying that to give it a proper clean I'll need to...

Shampoo was and dry
Clay the car
Polish / Swirl remover
Wax

Stand back and admire :D

al

ST on the way...
AutoGlym Ultra Deep Shine isn't bad as going some way to hiding swirls, but you'd need to put Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection on after to protect it.

Leave extra gloss on about an hour to cure tho.

SRP on top of USD so EGP can bond.

***Stands back, don's flame suit and awaits Rich***

M2 Competition
I told you to 'it 'im, not touch 'im up!

Lol, u need to drive more if u have enough time to feel the paintwork.

You'll end up like rich! ;) hehe

106 GTi
al said:
AutoGlym Ultra Deep Shine isn't bad as going some way to hiding swirls, but you'd need to put Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection on after to protect it.

Leave extra gloss on about an hour to cure tho.

SRP on top of USD so EGP can bond.

***Stands back, don's flame suit and awaits Rich***

The SRP will remove the filling from the UDS though :(

Swirls by hand - Megs Scratch X and some elbow grease is the only way really.

If you want to go down the hiding them route a glaze and carnuba wax is the best way to go.

Rex - Ssssh!

al

ST on the way...
Didn't realise the SRP would remove the UDS, duh! Is there not way to get the UDS and EGP to work together at all then really?

After i've been PC'd what should I use before the P21s then? or should I use somet else instead of P21s.

p.s. This is me now vvvv

flamepro2lg.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i'd just clay, super resin polish, then use some extra goss protection, thats what i do to mine from time to time, here are the results

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

106 GTi
al said:
Didn't realise the SRP would remove the UDS, duh! Is there not way to get the UDS and EGP to work together at all then really?

After i've been PC'd what should I use before the P21s then? or should I use somet else instead of P21s.

p.s. This is me now vvvv

flamepro2lg.jpg

PMSL! ^^^^^^^^

AG themselves say that EGP wont bond to UDS. It can be done but you wont get the full protection from the EGP.

Depends - What process is Steve going to do by PC do you know yet?

P21s is gret on Black but Nattys Blue will look wetter, and Souveran Deeper and Wetter.

I use a layers of both Nattys Blue and Souveran on mine.

al

ST on the way...
Depends - What process is Steve going to do by PC do you know yet?
Haven't a clue yet.

P21s is gret on Black but Nattys Blue will look wetter, and Souveran Deeper and Wetter.
Would it be worth my while investing in some of each then?

I use a layers of both Nattys Blue and Souveran on mine.
With EGP at all?

Sorry for all the questions!! :eek:

p.s. Have upgraded

Suit1.jpg

106 GTi
LOL Look like something out of a 80' Music Video now Al!

During the winter I use Nattys Blue and Souveran over a AG SRP and EGP base.

In the Summer, Nattys Blue and Souveran over The Clearkote Glazes and Wolfgang or one of the Poorboys EX Sealants.

I would be tempted to get the Souveran First, and add the Nattys Blue later, worth getting both in time though IMO.

al

ST on the way...
Oky doky, I'll make an investment. Thanks for the advice :)

pmsl @ the 80's vid!!

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
I find, that warming the clay a little helps too I've seen some people just whack the clay on the lube while cold and run it about this is not a good way of doing claying.
I use small amount of shampoo and water as the lube and save the QD spray for other use.

106 GTi
Thay clay has to be warm and soft or it will do damage. This time of year it will be easy to warm in your hands, durig the winter, keeping it in warm water and even warming it first in the Mircrowave is a must.

I second the lube made of car soap and water, waste of Quick Detail Spray otherwise.

Mito Sportiva 135
Me and my 172: first we got wet and wild with some lovely extreme dry tutrle shampoo (YES its Turtle and I'm proud!!). Next, I slid some SRP over its seductive black contours. Things were going well. I then teased her with some Extreme M Sealant, and just when she thought she had received all the loving attention she was going to get, I finished her off with some XXX Hardcore Wax.

Car Detailing: the p**n of the automotive world.