ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pandemic = Stay inside and improve setup

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Since were all staying inside (or everyone should be if they have more than 13 brain cells to rub together) it gives us perfect time to move around our setups and make things nicer.

Cleaned my whole room earlier, top to bottom and moved it around a bit

Before

20200318_142912.jpg

After

20200322_171714.jpg

The radiator hasn't been on since I moved in because my PC has been above it. So I was always cold at night playing but now I can actually have it on and not worry about melting my rig😂 I need to decorate badly too, its on the list of things to do with the house. Along with better curtains and proper blackout blinds!

I cleaned and tidied the cabling inside my PC too, while it was all unplugged I thought I might as well

20200322_142227.jpg
20200322_161152.jpg
20200322_161216.jpg

Another thing on the list of jobs is to replace that awful 120GB SSD with the Samsung Evo from my old PC which is currently sat on the floor🤦‍♂️

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Tidy, though surely now you'll get glare from the sun on the monitors?

I wanna get a new smaller case for my PC but would need a smaller motherboard so cost quickly mount up.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I fancy a games console in the lounge for/if lock down comes.

Anyone got any recommendation, I'm thinking of a PS4 just for gran-Turismo but I've been told I've got to think of the other people in the house which is crap.

Wife and daughter want Mario kart but that's only available on nintendo.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
PS4 just for gran-Turismo

You've answered your own question really. PCs are definitely the best for gaming but realistically a PS4 Pro is £349 and an equivalent PC is going to run you over a grand at least. f**k Forza, always enjoyed GT so I'd be going sony if it was me.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
You've answered your own question really. PCs are definitely the best for gaming but realistically a PS4 Pro is £349 and an equivalent PC is going to run you over a grand at least. f**k Forza, always enjoyed GT so I'd be going sony if it was me.
games consoles have generally passed me by and the only game I've spent any decent time playing was GT when my son had his playstation years ago. Are there any decent family (grown up family) games for the PS4?

We've got a Wii but it's not been used for years and I'm sure it's knackered. Besides the games for the Wii don't bother me.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I fancy a games console in the lounge for/if lock down comes.

Anyone got any recommendation, I'm thinking of a PS4 just for gran-Turismo but I've been told I've got to think of the other people in the house which is crap.

Wife and daughter want Mario kart but that's only available on nintendo.

I'm the same. Been thinking about it for a while. PC is better but, for me, probably just not worth the additional expense. I was thinking of going Xbox One of some kind, as that's what most of my mate's have. Would only really want Dirt 2.0 to be honest. A mate has Forza Horizon which is pretty good too.

It's the wheel which I'm not sure about! No idea what to buy there.

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Been playing mw3 with my 5yo today on the old school xbox 360. He is getting quite good tbh, starting to get streaks so thinks he is the boyo now lol.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
It's all about Mario Kart! Fcuk gran turismo.
I'm only saying this because I'm class at Mario kart and never played gran turismo. 🤣
I used to be OK on forza back in the day
Then I went online and played the geeks and it put me off

I've just 'panic bought' a G920, shifter, and stand.

Now to pinch the pax seat out the Evo and have some Forza / PC2 fun. :D

Funny that, after months of making do having to clamp the wheel etc to the desk each time, the prospect of lockin made me panic buy a wheel stand too.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Funny that, after months of making do having to clamp the wheel etc to the desk each time, the prospect of lockin made me panic buy a wheel stand too.

There is of course, just the small matter of it actually being delivered. But I won’t cry about it.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Imo go Xbox and Forza if you want to play with a gamepad or I'd seriously consider PS and GTS if you want a wheel. They'd always be the deciding factors for me.

Forza Horizon is good for an open world f**k about game but Forza Motorsport if you want to be going round tracks setting lap times.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Someone in the DIY thread mentioned these really good plasterboard fixings, so I got some to hang my old stereo up with.
I made a complete mess of it and got everything way too high, but it sounds alrite watching Roadkill so I can't be bothered fixing it right now.

Now I'm WFH, as you can tell.....

L1lSNue.jpg

A4 Avant & A3
Makes me want to build a stand for the xbox steering wheel as it never gets used, being that we need to bodge it onto a coffee table.
Sadly for me, in my house we have an xbox one, xbox one s & now a gaming PC that I built with my eldest lad.. guess what.. I don't get a look in on any of it!.. just get told we need new 'wifi' when they're games lag lol

I have been tasked with fitting led strip lights around his 'gaming' setup! the PC case already has lights all over it

*Just seen Project cars 2 is available on games with gold worth a download?.. still not played project cars 1 mind you.
Also got the new COD Warzone to try too...
None of which will ever happen

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Someone in the DIY thread mentioned these really good plasterboard fixings, so I got some to hang my old stereo up with.
I made a complete mess of it and got everything way too high, but it sounds alrite watching Roadkill so I can't be bothered fixing it right now.

Now I'm WFH, as you can tell.....

View attachment 1460938
Think you need to dust your monitors.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Okay so within the space of a year I've gone from this absolute booner setup

March 2020

I3- 3rd Gen
RX 270
60Hz Samsung Monitor
obligatory card mousemat, s**t Dell keyboard and a £3 mouse

20200225_115417.jpg

I have no idea how I slapped so may kids on Siege with that f**king bumpubes of a setup. Honestly it brings me great shame to even see that. The desk was absolutely bolloxed too

October 2020

Ryzen 5 2600
R9 390X
B350m
Razer Deathadder Elite
Razer Blackwidow TE
Razer Kraken TE
I'd just got my AOC 27" 144Hz monitor too
Still on a w**k Acer 24" secondary

20201023_172303.jpg

More PC upgrades

20210121_124902.jpg
20210121_125212.jpg
20210121_131733.jpg
20210122_131355.jpg

March 2021

Current Spec;
Ryzen 7 3700x
5600XT
B550m
Some little speakers which my bird bought for me so I don't have to constantly wear my headset
Everything else peripheral wise is the same
I'm still on the lookout for a 1440p monitor as this one is only 1080p

My girlfriend also got me some drawers for my cupboard so I could get rid of my shagged IKEA drawers. So now its pretty clean again. No more clutter everywhere. Awaiting a special print of the Clio too for the wall. Still needs decorating

20210303_161057.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Is that a magnetic wrist strap? Computer has come on well though!

My setup as it stands;
C3518422-9DB5-470B-BB0E-B893E278E2FD.jpeg

Still rocking the i5 4690k at 4.6ghz with 16Gb of DDR3, but now have an RTX3070 Founders edition and an LG B9, because 4k, 120hz, HDR, and Gsync, all at the same time.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It is, another thing my mrs bought me haha. It comes in so handy taking apart PC's and servers

I'd love a sim rig, looks mint that. The want for a new graphics card is getting squashed by the need to upgrade to 4K or at least 1440p

Oh and I went from 16GB DDR3 to 32GB DDR4 2666 to 32GB DDR4 3200 clocked to 3600 too. Still not bothered with an M.2 again as I have enterprise Samsung SSD's which are nowhere near dead nor are they hitting any ceilings in terms of speed so they can all stay for now. Only reason I got one ages ago was because it was half price... probably why it was f**king broken🙄😂

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that looks mega useful actually.

Do itttt... seriously having a proper sim rig is endless fun. At least a wheel.

The processor/RAM side of my setup is lacking massively now, I mean it’s still good to run 30ish cars in Assetto but doing a full Le Mans 60 car grid nukes it.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that looks mega useful actually.

Do itttt... seriously having a proper sim rig is endless fun. At least a wheel.

The processor/RAM side of my setup is lacking massively now, I mean it’s still good to run 30ish cars in Assetto but doing a full Le Mans 60 car grid nukes it.
Theyre only a couple of quid I think. Has a little pouch on it too

I just feel my room is quite small, im wanting a log cabin up the top of the garden so I might even up with a full size snooker table and a sim rig in there and my lass can sniff a fart and do one😂😂

Tbh at the minute prices are just stupid. I sold my 2600 for £110 posted and theyre only £130 new! I got my 3200mhz memory for £100 new, its only Adata stuff but its not too shonky sold the old 2666 stuff for £100🤦‍♂️😂

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Bed and a microwave and you need never go home! 😂

You’d be surprised how well your 5600xt will work with 4k, or at least 1440p, bearing in mind all this time I’ve been rocking the 1060 3Gb and that’s been plenty fast enough as long as you’re sensible with settings. Wheel and a display and you’ll have great fun, then at a later date you can add the rig

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Bed and a microwave and you need never go home! 😂

You’d be surprised how well your 5600xt will work with 4k, or at least 1440p, bearing in mind all this time I’ve been rocking the 1060 3Gb and that’s been plenty fast enough as long as you’re sensible with settings. Wheel and a display and you’ll have great fun, then at a later date you can add the rig
Aye it will run Warzone on high/max settings at 140+ FPS so I dont think it will struggle

Thats base clock but with more RPM on the fans for cooling. It'll sit at about 60⁰C being caned by COD and my CPU sits at about 55⁰C with the Ryzen Master OC on. They've both got mega headroom for temps and clocking

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
My office is pretty much as it was at the start of Lockdown V1.0.

IMG_2164.JPEG

I have now got a permanent sim seat using the cracked Recaro (mounted on some spare roof timber 😅 ) that was in the car. But I'm only really playing PC2 on a 5 year old Xbox One using the 1080P TV you can see.

My rig (8700K, 1080TI) is decent and is hooked up, it's just much more of a faff to spin up Assetto on PC, than chuck the Xbox on and do a few laps with the lads.

Last edited:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Whats happened to all the Graphics cards?

I know miners rush to buy the latest and greatest, but there's f**k all of anything on the market right now.
Some places don't have a single AMD card available, not one?!?!

Is the global chip shortage so bad that there's literally nothing available?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Whats happened to all the Graphics cards?

I know miners rush to buy the latest and greatest, but there's f**k all of anything on the market right now.
Some places don't have a single AMD card available, not one?!?!

Is the global chip shortage so bad that there's literally nothing available?
It’s a triple whammy.
1. The new cards are really good value for money. Everyone wants one.
2. Bots. Every man and his dog has a hundred bots scouring all the retailers automatically buying everything immediately then listing on ebay for double.
3. Really bad silicon shortages. There simply isn’t enough to satisfy demand.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
So wait until the shortage ends, or get ripped off by some scalping c**t off eBay?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
So wait until the shortage ends, or get ripped off by some scalping c**t off eBay?

I got a 3090 off CCL Computers last year after waiting a couple of weeks for an alert to come through, their notify system is half decent.

Basically all the Nvidia prices went up at the start of the year as well, best part of £900 for a 3080 now, the founders edition cards are the only bargain now really, but thats alot harder work to get ahold of one.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Okay so within the space of a year I've gone from this absolute booner setup

March 2020

I3- 3rd Gen
RX 270
60Hz Samsung Monitor
obligatory card mousemat, s**t Dell keyboard and a £3 mouse

View attachment 1524726

I have no idea how I slapped so may kids on Siege with that f**king bumpubes of a setup. Honestly it brings me great shame to even see that. The desk was absolutely bolloxed too

October 2020

Ryzen 5 2600
R9 390X
B350m
Razer Deathadder Elite
Razer Blackwidow TE
Razer Kraken TE
I'd just got my AOC 27" 144Hz monitor too
Still on a w**k Acer 24" secondary

View attachment 1524728

More PC upgrades

View attachment 1524731View attachment 1524732View attachment 1524733View attachment 1524734

March 2021

Current Spec;
Ryzen 7 3700x
5600XT
B550m
Some little speakers which my bird bought for me so I don't have to constantly wear my headset
Everything else peripheral wise is the same
I'm still on the lookout for a 1440p monitor as this one is only 1080p

My girlfriend also got me some drawers for my cupboard so I could get rid of my shagged IKEA drawers. So now its pretty clean again. No more clutter everywhere. Awaiting a special print of the Clio too for the wall. Still needs decorating

View attachment 1524727

What headphone stand is that?

New seat better than the old one? I'm finding my racing style seat not as comfy as the office style ones.