ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Panel Filter & Insurance

Clio 197
I've got a K&N panel filter... for which I informed my insurance company. This resulted in an extra £70 premium per year... and a £200 increase in my excess.

The reason for it is as follows:
It's classed as a modification that increases BHP. The only brackets they have are 0-10%, 10-20%, 20-30% etc....

I tried to explain that it doesn't increase power, but improves response etc... but the lady insisted that if I were to make a claim, and it was proved to increase power, I wouldn't be covered.

Anyone else found this?

Now that I AM paying a premium for the panel filter (upto 10% extra power):

I can fit: A full racing exhaust system
Cams & remap

...at NO extra cost!!

Can anyone even begin to explain this logic to me?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Insurance companies really are a joke. I cost me £110 extra for springs,shocks,induction kit on top of my premium each year.

I would double check to make sure no c**k ups have been made, Who are you insured with?

Clio 197
^^

Direct line.

I'm paying an extra £150 premium (per annum) for springs and panel filter.

Extra £200 excess for panel filter, and an extra £150 excess for springs...

...so my excess is now £550!! I've got 5 years no claims, and nothing on my record for the past 3 years.

Joke isn't it?!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
The question you have to ask yourself is "is a filter really worth that much?"

Most insurance companies don't want you to modify your car, so will make it expensive when you initially do. Further, or multiple modifications (in my experience) after the initial one(s) don't seem to add as much.

Try listing all the modifications shown on the car in the link to an insurance company and see what happens to your quote...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=437594

Mate you need to move insurers, panel filters DO NOT affect performance! They are simply a direct replacement for the original which is servicable sop dose not need replacement, why you declared a panel filter is beyond me!

Clio 197
Mate you need to move insurers, panel filters DO NOT affect performance! They are simply a direct replacement for the original which is servicable sop dose not need replacement, why you declared a panel filter is beyond me!

Our problem is that the manufacturers claim that they DO increase power... but we all know that they realistically don't.

I love having it in though, because it removes a rather annoying flat spot lower down in the rev range.

PS This is a C2 VTS.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I would seriously consider moving insurers I really am not a fan of directline and I tend to hear alot of bad things about them. But I have only been driving nearly 2 years and my excess is lower than that.

Our problem is that the manufacturers claim that they DO increase power... but we all know that they realistically don't.

I love having it in though, because it removes a rather annoying flat spot lower down in the rev range.

PS This is a C2 VTS.

you need to move insurers mate. try someone like Brentacre.

Clio 197
^^

I've only just started my policy for this year, so I'll give them a ring on Monday. :)

That said, Cams and Remap won't cost any extra now... so I'm very tempted, lol.

Clio 197
^^

They automatically renewed my policy... and I forgot to cancel it within the 14 days.. so I'm stuck.

That said, if I cancel I'll only pay a £15 admin charge... and I'll get a pro-rata refund of the rest.