ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PAS going bang help!!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Over the last few days my power steering has started making a whirring noise when cold, and turning the wheels. The whirring gets louder as revs increase...so my first thought is that the PAS belt was slipping...anyway...just to be sure I checked the PAS fluid which was very low...so filled up to the mark (too about 500ml PAS fluid). This made the whirring noise go away for a few days but its back again with a vengence today...normally after the car is warm the sound also goes away but today after a long motorway drive to tuners for the cars RR, it was still there when I parked.

Could be PAS pump be on the way out? or is it just a belt? or maybe a leak (but nothing is dripping from the car, or would it only drip when the car is drivng?)

Please help.

ps...I drive a mk1 172

MY valver does the same as do most i think. Dont hear of it happening much with the 172s. You would have thought Renault could have fixed it by now - French knobs. Anyway, its not your belt - my car certainly doesnt like it when i use the power steering when its cold. They revs drop quite sharply and the steering becomes heavy. Something aint right. NOt sure what tho - it could be the pump. Does it make most of the noise when you trun the wheel and the car is stationary coz mine does..........

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Yeah...most of the noise is then turnin the wheel, doesnt matter if Im driiving or stationary...also when the car is just sitting and idling I can hear a slight noise, almost like a belt, but not squealing.

The steering doesnt get heavy though...still as smooth and easy as it always was

Yeh, coz if it were your belt you would get a squeeling noise and certainly know about it! I suspect its the pump to be honest. You got no warranty or anything?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i would keep an eye on the level and look for leaks. pump problems on the 172 are extremley rare so you would be very unlucky if its that

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Threw some fluid in last night and the noise went away instantly...yet, no leaks this morning on the drive...will keep an eye out for that.

Any recomendations about which fluid to use?