ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passenger side drive shaft change

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers Rob. I'll get the drivers side off, and fingers crossed its had it.

If its bottoming out due to shaft movement, then replacing it with a working one will quickly end up with the new one broken too.

I would strongly advise you fit new mounts first.

Clio 172
If its bottoming out due to shaft movement, then replacing it with a working one will quickly end up with the new one broken too.

I would strongly advise you fit new mounts first.

Yeah I will, I was just seeing if CV was knackered on the other side, as that did look realy great, and as if it had a new boot.

Anyway, wheels on lock to the left, passenger turret looks like this:
1f579d13-f7ec-b6cf.jpg

The turret top looks bent in places.

1f579d13-f827-2f5e.jpg

Pass is fine, looks like this

1f579d13-f860-e8c5.jpg

Could that have anything to do with it?

Clio 172
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346239676.859906.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346239693.445982.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346239717.737563.jpgf**king pictures don't work..

I attached them, hope it works!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346239656.992584.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346239656.992584.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 50
  Clio 172
Unfortunately rain stopped most progress, so didn't even look at the car. I'm hoping the drivers shaft is the root to all these problems though. I take it the wheel bearing couldn't cause the clicking/knocking? Bearing in mind the clicking has been there since I got the car, the bearing noise was very quiet then.

Appreciate all your help boys

Clio 172
I'm gonna crack on with changing engine mounts today, but really not sure which ones to change.

I can rock the engine backwards and forwards with ease, the drivers side mount is the one that moves. While I do that, there is a "click" coming from towards the passenger front wheel, possibly under the battery.

The dogbone one has been powerflexed, so I presume it can't be that (prepared to be proved wrong ofc), so what mounts are the best to change?

Far as I can tell, there is no side to side movement. Unless its not possible to rock it by hand?

If anyone can help, you will be a complete star.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sounds 100% like the top gearbox mount if you're getting a noise under the battery.

That's where that mount is.

If the dogbone is powerflex'd, that'll be fine.

Clio 172
Can't really tell. Ideally you want a buzz gun on that top nut, as there's a nut under there too.

No one has it untill Monday :( waiting for someone to ring me back for tomorrow.

Anyway, I think you might of been on the money a few posts back.

Jacked up drivers side, and the CV/drive shaft looks like:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346425450.936834.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well. There's the problem.

PM Mike (Budgie) or Luke (Luke) quick, Luke's heading to Mikes, and mike has a s**t load of spares. You're from essex, right?

Clio 172
Well. There's the problem.

PM Mike (Budgie) or Luke (Luke) quick, Luke's heading to Mikes, and mike has a s**t load of spares. You're from essex, right?

Don't know how we never noticed tbh.

And I'm not bud, I'm from Kent!

Clio 172
Can't really tell. Ideally you want a buzz gun on that top nut, as there's a nut under there too.

Just to update this..

The mount was fine. It was the bolt that goes through the centre onto the mount underneath, was so loose it moved like a b**ch. Tightened it up, engine is a lot tighter, and no clicking when pulling away. Just have to get another drivers drive shaft now and hope it sorts everything

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Nice easy fix then :)

I was kinda peeved at first, took the mount off and it looked near enough the same as the new one :(

Then wiggled the bolt and presto, tool us ages to do it up though. The bottom nut is in an awful plaxe

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
renault do like hiding nuts and bolts where they are hard to get to, they must have a selection of bent spanners at the factory!

172 Ph1
attachment.jpg

Clicking seems to be coming from this, it looks pretty knackered?

This was the culprit on my mates 172 Clio , was a right pain it the a*s to get to , but then I do try to do things without taking off as least as possible lol

172 Ph1
renault do like hiding nuts and bolts where they are hard to get to, they must have a selection of bent spanners at the factory!

I too have a special curved spanner chip, was only ever used to change R19-16v o/s/f engine mount in situ back in the day. Lol
It's retired now

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
I am about to take on this job also on the weekend, the 2 gators are split and the driveshaft is bent, what tools will I need to be prepared?