ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PB 172. The morning after RS

Many.
I have to agree with the others, looks like a bad move. Whats with the blue slam panel?! Also check it has the proper cup PAS pipe rather than the AC one bent wrongly. Looks a mess.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Couple small updates. First as it was MOT time I decided to fit the new washer pump as the old one was knackered
DSC_0373_zpscp5s6aa8.jpg

It clearly hadn't been used in a while as the water instead smelled disgusting! So gave it a clean and rinsed the inside with boiling water and surfex HD

Whilst the scuttle and the wipers were off, I opted to spray the wiper arms as they had started to grey:
DSC_0374_zps9tlpp3ng.jpg

DSC_0375_zps9uxtkvmz.jpg

DSC_0376_zpsbzxshqnp.jpg

And also used some Revive on the scuttle panel to bring it back up to standard:
DSC_0388_zpsmfl5iex5.jpg

DSC_0389_zpsreqk6gc3.jpg

It looks fairly glossy in these pics but once Revive dries it goes a nice dark matt colour.

All bolted back on:
DSC_0393_zpsgdqscsdv.jpg

DSC_0394_zpsm0drmrob.jpg

This had to be cleaned too as it was bugging me:
DSC_0390_zps35tnppec.jpg

Surfex doing it's job. Yuck!
DSC_0391_zpskjyaccna.jpg

Nice and clean :)
DSC_0392_zps0pckyga9.jpg

Next up was this hideous abomination:
DSC_0377_zpsfkaleoro.jpg

DSC_0378_zpsjdj8mk85.jpg

DSC_0379_zps89k6iyw1.jpg

DSC_0380_zpsvhp8hqug.jpg

Also thought I'd may aswell do the TB whilst I was at it, so took that off:
DSC_0381_zpsakfdwj43.jpg

And also gave it a good clean.

Nothing exciting, I think we all know the drill. Sand, clean, primer, colour etc. I ended up with this:
DSC_0382_zpsuf9keyhc.jpg

DSC_0383_zpssihncmzm.jpg

DSC_0384_zpskt4qfzax.jpg

I didn't really like the black lettering so I sanded it off with various grades to get a smooth metal finish (pics make it look white though)
DSC_0385_zpshdsfnemv.jpg

DSC_0387_zps4k3h31xj.jpg

I also discovered why one fog was flooded:
DSC_0395_zpszo586rcc.jpg

DSC_0396_zps6zvujtfw.jpg

But as I wanted new ones, but can't afford them just yet I took them out pre MOT (they were both shot anyway)
It was also time for that windscreen to come out, a nice huge crack and 2 stone chips certainly weren't getting through MOT so out with the old:
DSC_0397_zpsxnvtjelc.jpg

And in with the new!
DSC_0399_zpswckjogiq.jpg

DSC_0400_zps7rxpfpsn.jpg

One gripe I had is that being close to christmas with two young boys to pay for, and a mrs, I couldn't afford the £220 for the 'special' sensor type screen so opted for a standard screen (£130 difference between the two!) and was told I'd more than likely loose my intermittent/auto wiper and auto lights but the fitter re-fitted the sensor to the side of the mirror to see if it would work and hey presto, the auto wipers and lights work perfect. So for future reference if anyone needs a new screen but can't afford the sensor type one, the sensor will still work (well at least in my case) you'll just have to have the sensor to the side, not above the mirror.

Anyway so on to MOT time. Left it there at 12:00 and got an answerphone message about 2pm basically saying could you give us a call to discuss and go through your clio. Didn't sound good :( so when I rand them back they gave me the following list:
-OSR brake binding
-Exhaust failed emissions
-Headlight pattern obviously wrong
-Rear number plate light not working

So not the worst list in the world eh? Turns out the brake binding was easily fixed with some lubricant/grease on the bake of the pads as they'd be installed 'dry'. Headlights were sorted with a 10 minute rotary session and the fog light.....well it's a bulb. I'm not surprised at the emissions as it turns out the exhaust is a complete straight through to backbox, so I'll get a cat and standard exhaust on it.

Now, the ONE concerning thing is it started to overheat during the test due to the fan not kicking in. The tester said he found this grey plug next to the fan:
DSC_0398_zpsmnrrubqy.jpg

and said there was a blank where he thought a fan switch should be and said maybe a new switch and it being connected up would be the solution, so I ordered a switch but found a post on here that says PH2's rad fans are controlled by the ECU? In any case what is that plug? If it's for a rad switch why is it there if mine doesn't use a switch? So all I've got to do is find out why the fan isn't coming on before it goes back in. Just as info, the temp stays at a constant level whilst driving and doesn't fluctuate if I turn the heaters or anything on, or use the windows or anything. Also the heaters/ A/C stay at the temp I set the whole time. Any suggestions would be handy :)

So that's where it stands at the mo..

clio 172 2002
Getting there :) wish i had to the get up and go to sort everything out on mine, slowly doing the wheels (2left) and i was looking at the engine bay to day and wanted to know how to do the inlet manifold bit, but seeing how easy it is i might give it ago soon :) do i need special temperature paint for it as it gets hot, also my engine and exhaust manifold seem to get hot so quickly any ideas ? temperature gauge stays the same tho and doesnt boil the coolant at all

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Getting there :smile: wish i had to the get up and go to sort everything out on mine, slowly doing the wheels (2left) and i was looking at the engine bay to day and wanted to know how to do the inlet manifold bit, but seeing how easy it is i might give it ago soon :smile: do i need special temperature paint for it as it gets hot, also my engine and exhaust manifold seem to get hot so quickly any ideas ? temperature gauge stays the same tho and doesnt boil the coolant at all

Haha I've only got the motivation as I've been off work due to a hernia repair so had spare time, trying to get lots done before going back to work. I used standard hycote satin and so far it's been fine. Alot swear by VHT only but I've done a few rocker covers, inlets etc with standard paint and they've all been fine, but it's up to you bud. If you have a local home store they normally sell aerosols for the same price regardless of VHT or normal so if they're a good price, get high-temp. The inlet is easy, just unplug the sensors, air inlet, and vacuum hoses, remove coil pack and unbolt. I saw your wheels on FB, not bad :)

clio 172 2002
yh the wheels were done roughly haha a close up pic would show that ;) might give it ago some time then just makes it look fresher

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Not much to update apart from getting it ready for MOT and more odd jobs found. Still haven't managed to find the cause of the fan not coming on so I've wired up a manual in car switch for the mo. Also got round to replacing the decat yeaterday with a genuine cat and centre section. As I don't have the benefit of a garage me and a mate tackled it in the rain, and eventually the dark, last night. Mostly it was easy apart from the cat>manifold bolts which are a tight squeeze when you're working off the floor with a few inches room. But after a fair amount of cursing it was all off, only to find whoever made up the 'custom' straight through and backbox had annoyingly opted to alter the length of the tube coming off the backbox meaning there was about a 4" gap between the back box and centre section :mad: so that I'll chop the length off the old centre section and have it welded. Was going to buy a standard backbox but A) It would cost more £60 for a cheapy one B) There's a cut out on the bumper for the exhaust so a standard would look hideous. The joy didn't stop there, as I came home (we did it at a mates who lives a couple mins away) the car died and then would crank and not fire. Got the car towed home today and discovered both lambdas loose and one of the wires had melted. So just going to replace both at the same time to save hassle in the future.