ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PB 172. The morning after RS

2003 Clio 172 Sport
So finally bit the bullet and decided I didn't want to carry on with my flamer:
DSC_0245_zpsgxvk9cgt.jpg

Due to the mileage, lack of history and it's accident log in 2011, my mind got the better of me and I didn't want to spend £700 to get all the belts and dephaser done. So the hunt was on for a new car. I thought about something VAG....nope. Another honda? Vtec *yawn*. I had a nagging in my mind it would be another RS. Looked at a few and rang up a guy with a PB 172 in south wales. 88k, cambelt done at 76k but apart from that he said there wasn't any other history and wanted £800. Couldn't really argue at the lack of history, I was shopping at the bottom of the RS chain with my budget. So whilst on the phone I got chatting about the flamer and it's issues, ended the call saying I would call back after looking at a few others. Ten minutes later, got a call asking if I'd be interested in swapping as he's been desperate for a flamer for ages. What? I thought. You want to swap your clio with lower mileage, cambelt done etc for mine which is accident logged, higher mileage and needs £700 of work? Long story short, I got in the flamer and headed for Gwent. Never been to wales so this was basically like going crossing the euro tunnel for me:
DSC_0258_zpsubq7d6iv.jpg

On this bridge I also say a vehicle lorry with 2 brand new flame red clios! (I think it's still called flame red). I was excited to see the new RS but at the same time a bit sad at the thought of waving goodbye to the flamer, especially as it drove 110% faultless all the way up there.

After a few hours I got to where the PB was. The owner was straight up and told me all the little bits that needed doing including windscreen, tyres, some bodywork and a couple sensors. I asked about the service history and he said he was only given the V5 and the cambelt fitting receipt from the garage (rung the garage and they confirmed the belt was done). Well, I couldn't moan. As I say I wasn't in much of a position to argue. Hopped in the PB and drove home, no issues what so ever.

When I got back I was going through the car and came across an original renault folder, eh? I guess this is what he meant by no paperwork/history:
DSC_0270_zpsr76mjklv.jpg

DSC_0271_zpswogdxrno.jpg

DSC_0272_zpsogwgbp3h.jpg

137223c9-2bf2-4e9a-a5a9-cb6218b5d1ab_zps2aa00454.jpg

Chuffed to bits!

Anyways so on to the car. The best way I can describe it is imagine yourself the morning after a heavy night out (the thread title now makes sense ;) ) You're looking a bit sorry for yourself, bit tired and a bit groggy. But give your face a wash, good scrub up in the shower and a shave, eat some good food, possibly throw on some makeup (if you're that way inclined) and you're tip top again. Same thing with this 172. A bit rough round the edges but at its base, will make a brilliant car. The essentials are there i.e cambelt, history and lower mileage and no accident log. So for me the bodywork and bits were par for the course.

DSC_0259_zps86ttax1e.jpg

DSC_0261_zpspqjaus84.jpg

These will have to go!
DSC_0262_zpsbas6xttw.jpg

Quite like yellow bullets maybe with black writing, or black bullets with yellow writing? But in any case these need some attention:
DSC_0263_zpstvwr2g67.jpg

Neeeedz clears!
DSC_0264_zpsomtbvxkd.jpg

Bit of touching up to do:
DSC_0265_zpsldd3r6ws.jpg

Cloudy lights and *insert carbon washer blanks here*
DSC_0266_zpsdpjxes4n.jpg

Slicks anyone?
DSC_0267_zpsjtnqk27z.jpg

Also I'll have to look at the wiper mechanism, wipers being sat this high are so annoying!
DSC_0268_zpspz1r01d1.jpg

So many stone chips you would've thought it was a honda!
DSC_0269_zpsusabecom.jpg

But all in all no biggie.

Now, as we know. Clios like to play nice and then shaft you when you really could do without it. This one did it in true fashion in the way of the barrel sh*****g itself on me and the key not turning or even going all the way in plus the steering lock decided not to engage at this point. Luckily it's outside my house. Called the locksmith today and he's fairly confident the pins etc inside are gummed up but worst case scenario he's got a few renault barrels on board and if it comes to it he'll whip the old barrel out, fit the new one and get a key cut, maximum £80 which I think is fair considering he's coming to me and doing all that. I've used him before for this so I'm confident in his work.

So that's where we are at the mo! Not the most pristine of starts, but I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. Especially with the bodywork as it looks like underneath the neglect and (I guess) numerous brush/automatic car washes, there's a little gem there. I feel much more confident knowing the cars history is clean and the belts be done.

Sounds like there's hidden issues with the PB if he was prepared to do that deal! I hope I'm wrong though.

Ignition barrel probably one of them!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Its missing the xenons, i hate to say it - but it sounds like you've jumped from the frying pan and into the fire...

Unfortunately I agree with Danny here...

It looks like it has had its fair share of knocks. Is that rear quarter dented or is it just the photo that make it looks that way? Also, has the bumper got the stickers on the inserts?

Got to be honest here, it sounds like you've swapped a car you knew the history of but needed a few hundred quid spent on it, for another car you don't know anything about really, which also needs a few hundred quid spent on it. Seems like you're back to square one.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
To be honest, I'd only had the flamer 3 months and knew literally nothing about it's history before I had it. The way I saw it was spend £700 to have a clio with no history has been accident damaged in the past and still needed it's own niggles sorting and on 126K. Or start again with one that's got history, has had the belts done but needs some other bits sorted. As I said it drove no different than the flamer on the way home, except the brakes are much sharper on the PB and the engine is alot quieter. In my eyes bonnets can be replaced, faulty sensors can be renewed etc but you can't get back mileage or (most of the time) history and there's no way of removing accident logs. Even if I threw the same amount of money into this at least it's got the history etc for the future. Either one is a project and it's not like the clio is a workhorse or taxi so I'm not phased to be honest.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Not to piss on your bonfire but that 100% has been in an accident.

The guy might have been straight forward but he definitely hasn't disclosed everything. Is this one (the pearl black) been categorey registered?

I wouldn't have been worrying about the flamers history, these are essentially worthless now - as long as its taken care of under your management it matters little else residual wise.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Not registered either on the V5 or on car check. Well once I get stuck in I'm sure I'll have everything off/apart and have a good nosey. As said, time will tell. Neither of the 172's are showroom fresh minters and neither worth any significant amount of money as long as I get this one to the standard I want and look after it I'll be happy. Ultimately it's just a toy to tinker with and have fun in, we've got a focus for the travelling and mundane stuff. If I was shelling out the top end of the price range then I'd be far more picky

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
and there's no way of removing accident logs.

Actually, I believe you can.
Although it'll have on the log book that the car has been examined, it is possible to remove the category from it.

Wasn't there a V6 on here that had it done?

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Surely it would look worse to buyers if the log says it's been examined but the buyer has gone to some length to remove the category?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
You can have it removed, but i believe its a seriously expensive trek!
It's around £260 I think, but there's only 1 place in the country that do it.
Surely it would look worse to buyers if the log says it's been examined but the buyer has gone to some length to remove the category?
Not really, surely it would give you confidence in the repair that's been carried out?
They won't remove the marker for any old bodge job, it has to be done well and it has to be done right.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
no worries, someone will probably come along in a minute and tell me I'm wrong anyway lol.
But that's my understanding of it all.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Mist say I preffered the flamed mate.

The black one, as you say, looks very rough.

Good luck to you though on bringing it back to life.

Thanks chap. I did love the flamer but it too had it's issues and did need some bodywork doing (a large crack in the front bumper springs to mind). To be fair the pictures above are the most un-flattering ever. Covered in rain, just done a 200 odd mile trip and a wash mitt hasn't gone anywhere near the paint though. I guess I'm a sucker for tinkering with cars and prefer to have rough one and stand back at the end and see my efforts, some people prefer a well sorted car from the off. Horses for courses I suppose.

Clio 197
Sorry mate but I think you've made a bad move!
Regardless of the mileage and history you drove it for 3 months and started to know the car well and the faults that needed done!

The new one looks like it could have a few hidden faults and like it's not exactly been looked after! The tyres are shocking!

Hopefully it turns out alright and you enjoy it though

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
There are three rules when buying a used car...

1) Never buy a car from Wales.
2) Never buy a car in the rain.
3) Never buy a car from Birmingham.
I've managed to break all of those rules :( explains why Most of them were dodgy.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Well folks I'm confident it will turn out fine. As said before, tyres, a couple sensors and some bodywork is by the by. At the end I'll have a nice PB with a half decent history (people say it's worthless but we're all different and I just prefer it) and alot less mileage. May seem like a numbers game but that's just me I suppose. Surprised so many people have condemned it already when the stuff that needs doing is fairly superficial. At least it will be another RS bought back to how it should be, which is what this forum is about right?

2003 Clio 172 Sport
So postie dropped off a couple small bits for me:
DSC_0274_zpsjmndmtyv.jpg

Changing sensors is fine but I'm a bit of a noob with wiring, what are these and what job do they do:
DSC_0275_zpsxbbnqm2k.jpg

I thought they were just clear crimps? But thought i'd ask.

Cos they are bought cheap by sheep farmers off their mates, then ragged around the amazing quality welsh roads and not serviced or maintained at all. Well thats my experience of welsh car owners..

Clio 182, Jag XJS
I like the idea! Im all for giving a poorly car a new lease of life. And what better to try it out on. That Clio has seen better days bless it.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
I like the idea! Im all for giving a poorly car a new lease of life. And what better to try it out on. That Clio has seen better days bless it.
She's not the freshest daisy. But I enjoy a challenge and at the end of the day, it's just a bit of fun. If it goes tits up no worries :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
no headlight washers, no xenons and id bet £100 no arch liners either, thats definitely had a front end bang!

od tyre wear too id be getting that on a hunter machine to check if its had a detour off road and bent somthing

2003 Clio 172 Sport
no headlight washers, no xenons and id bet £100 no arch liners either, thats definitely had a front end bang!

od tyre wear too id be getting that on a hunter machine to check if its had a detour off road and bent somthing

You've reminded me there's a full alignment print-out in the folder, I think it was fairly recent too. I'll post it up in a bit

Saw this today, around 4 ish coming down into Tesco fuel station, was driving the misses 225. Looked better from what I saw than those pictures you've posted but I would be getting stuck into tiding it up asap