ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PB 172. The morning after RS

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Hi Chris I spotted the Megane. I had just spent 5 hours washing, decon, polishing and tidying up the paint on her. There's a fair amount of tidying up to do but nothing too drastic.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
I won't bore you all with the full write up (It's on my thread on Detailing World) but for anyone interested, here's how she's standing after todays effort:
DSC_0328_zps5lo6ttvo.jpg

DSC_0331_zpsrzehpkwt.jpg

DSC_0332_zpsqrvgjsf7.jpg

DSC_0333_zpsj7fiplri.jpg

DSC_0334_zpswv1ijvy1.jpg

The wheels will be re-furbed and new boots all round, but the paint that's there is actually very clean and glossy:
DSC_0330_zpspedemx6o.jpg

DSC_0327_zpsbeo6ddzs.jpg

I've also sorted out some temporary 15" winter wheels with good tyres so I can get the OZ's off for some attention.

My immediate plans are to get it prepped for MOT next month, including:
-Getting the windscreen washers to work
-New outer CV boot on drivers side
-New tyres (sorted with the winter wheels)
-Any misc bits I find along the way

Other plans include:
-New/ re-furb front bumper and bonnet
-New fogs as these look tired and one is water logged
-Spray upper grill satin black along with the the wiper arms
-New windscreen
-Service

More major plans:
-Sort bodywork defects
-New brakes
-Get it up on the lift and see what needs to be done underneath (if anything) including possibly replacing the exhaust, the longlife system is a bit lairy for me

2003 Clio 172 Sport
What a difference a good clean makes.

That would look great on standard wheels.

To be honest I do like the OEM look on clios but I do like the OZ's too. I'd like some bright silver Turini's but they're simply out of budget at the mo. Maybe some bright silver 182 alloys would look good? Not really a fan of the standard 172 wheels though.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
A question for the electrical heads on here. It looks as if the clio has had a toad alarm installed but there's no fob for it and no bleeps or non-standard alarm/lock actions. Can I assume it's redundant and remove it? Or would it be best to just leave it be.

clio 172 2002
Just seen this new thread and crazy how many people who has little hope?! same as buying ANY car! new or used you never no whats gonna go wrong with it if anything. looks good not a fan of them yellow bits tho ;) same wheels as on my mates yellow polo tho wouldnt mind a set myself. I have faith in it all and look forward to seeing the progress and seeing it sometime :)

Remove or respray bullets asap.
Remove all stickers
Wet dry the lights or save for xenons
Centre caps for wheels
NEW TYRES!
Chop that exhaust off
And the other plans you've mentioned (service etc)

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Ah yes Chris, bullets coming off today and going silver, forgot about the stickers but needless to say they're coming off I'm not 17 anymore, centre caps are in the boot but will be furbed with the alloys, picking up winter wheels today, got my eyes on a set of xenons already, exhaust will be after mot. :) Thanks for the feedback folks.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Ok so the winter wheels didn't go to plan, the bore was 5mm to small and as they were only cheap I wasn't prepared to have them machined. BUT I got 2 new boots fitted on the rear so no more bald tyres. I now want to address the only running issue which is a big hesitation when putting my foot down and the car going into limp mode if I go past approx. 6500rpm. Plugged her in and got knock sensor and air intake temp sensor which more than likely explains that. I can get both parts readily from GSF only question is do GSF supply OEM or equivalent parts when it comes to sensors? I only ask as normally Renault prices are vastly more than motor factors, if GSF sensors are crap then so be it, but I don't fancy paying renault the extra premium for the same thing just because they're renault

As already said above, remove all stickers, silver bullets, headlight refurb and get some standard silver wheels on it! Those wheels (probably the colour) do nothing for it at all.

Oh and a genuine splitter.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Bullets are now being prepped along with a few other bits, under the bonnet was.....comical.....you'll all love it. Also had a chance to look at the rear tyres today, I had some part worns fitted (6+mm tread) and didn't expect much but the fitter has put on two hankook tyres. At least they're not xinglungdongawong. I'd normally buy new but as it's coming to xmas, with 2 young boys to buy for, I opted for part worn. After xmas I'll be getting new in all 4 corners so open to suggestions. Loved proxe's on the flamer!

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Small update. Finished my bullets and injector cover today. Also got a chance to fit my knock and air inlet temp sensors (both were repeatedly being thrown up on the diagnostics) and once cleared, haven't come back. The car now feels alot better and has got alot of its 'bite' back. My last headache is that she's still going into limp mode if I climb above 6300rpm. I'll get to around the 6000 mark and she'll sort of 'hiccup' and then limp mode will cut in shortly after. I'm now thinking maybe either the coilpack, lead(s) or plug(s) are breaking down at high RPM's? Am I completely off course thinking this way or is it a sensible idea?

It might not be..like you say good be the leads or the plus but definately ignition related as from experience of other cars has taught me

2003 Clio 172 Sport
It seems like that, I've renewed all the sensors that needed doing. I'll buy some new leads and plugs for the service anyway and see where we go from there. It probably has incorrect plugs fitted too like my last 172

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
I saw this the other day, part of me didn't think it was a true 172, or I didn't want to believe it, (it was dark at the time)
As others have said, personally I would have kept the flamer.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
I saw this the other day, part of me didn't think it was a true 172, or I didn't want to believe it, (it was dark at the time)
As others have said, personally I would have kept the flamer.

What do you mean by not a true 172? Not really sure what else it could be :S

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
You only drove past, but no xenons (being the quick way to tell) it could have been a 1.2 with a noisy exhaust for all I knew at the time :wink:.
But as you have proved a good clean has made it come up well

Edit: I wouldn't have known it was you from reading this and seeing the yellow bullets on the side

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Ah ok gotcha, yeah it is hideous at the mo, I did some de-yellowing today. Namely the bullets and injector cover. Also going to get a quote on the front bumper and rear quarter panel and get them done asap.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Bonnet looks like abit of attention wouldn't go amiss as well.
I know someone who works at a body shop as a sprayer so can try and get the details if you want. Of course dependent on what you are wanting to have done would depend if they were competitve

2003 Clio 172 Sport
If they're local to plymouth I'd be more than happy to get a quote. Need the front bumper, bonnet and rear quarter doing. But I may just buy a decent bonnet and get that painted (if I can't find a good one in pb) instead of getting this one straightened out.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Thanks dan, as you know I've done the sensor so I'll do the loom too. The flamer had a standard sensor and loom, is there any reason why some go bad and need a new loom?

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Managed to rectify a couple of the eye sores today. Got the silver bullets on, makes a huge difference and really glad I did:
DSC_0347_zpspgjcekyb.jpg

Also removed the crappy stickers off the rear window:
DSC_0348_zpsv1qumia3.jpg

DSC_0349_zpszplyxx0h.jpg

DSC_0350_zpsad3vxfcu.jpg

And removed those yellow 'renault' skirt stickers.
DSC_0351_zpsozwgxoe5.jpg

DSC_0352_zpsfqad5qx1.jpg

Now obviously big lairy stickers are the only way to recognize what make a car is so there's a chance people may mistake it for a skyline or a focus now. But it's for the greater good.

Also discovered the rad was flapping around down there as it hadn't been pushed into the bottom retaining recesses, put it all back in place and discovered this hanging down:
DSC_0354_zpsphuuk9ln.jpg

Which branches off here:
DSC_0355_zpshny2lpgg.jpg

I was thinking fog lights? If anyone knows let me know :)

Also a 50/50 of the comical engine
DSC_0353_zpsezdqcjc9.jpg

The satin black injector cover looks alot tidier. The yellow inlet is ermm.....different I suppose.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Great start to the week with an immobiliser fault (I think) Yay!!! When I got in the clio this morning it just wouldn't crank. Had some weird electric thing going on, turned the key and nothing happened, immob light was on solid and then when I turned the ignition off the dash and climate control lights would stay on but dim. Tried a couple times and it fired and died and went back to solid light, then dim lights when I took the key out, eventually they would go out. Left it for half hour and now the dash/climate lights work as normal but the immob. light still stays on when the key is turned. It went out a couple times but wouldn't turn over (most likely a dodgy starter motor, but that's yet another issue). I'm just uploading a video to show what's going on.

2003 Clio 172 Sport
Finally, instead of the clio self destructing on me, it has decided to fix itself. Since tightening up the gearbox earth, I now have a normal functioning speedo and the high RPM limp mode issue has disappeared. No hesitation from the car at all now :)