ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC continuously restarting - can't even get into Safe Mode

Octavia VRS
I have a machine here running Win XP SP2 that gets to the Windows XP screen then restarts itself. On restart I press F8 to get into advance startup options and try and get into Safe Mode but it just goes through the same routine.

I have tried going into the 'Disable restart after system failure' and get the blue screen with a Registry Error. I have a feeling this has been caused by a USB mouse.

Is this going to be a software reinstall or is there another way?

Cheers

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
might have a gay keyboard like mine when the f buttons don't work till it's booted up?

Octavia VRS
got another keyboard in as well. Software drivers not recognising the original mouse I'm guessing. Never had this continuous restarting issue before tho

Octavia VRS
yep tried that mate.

Just tried reinstalling XP from scratch and the blue screen is still coming up and won't let me install.

Plan B is to attach the HDD to my machine and then wipe it before attempting a fresh install

2004 1.2 Dynamique
Try booting up with just power and the VGA cable plugged in NOTHING else

Failing that reinstall XP matey

2004 1.2 Dynamique
yep tried that mate.

Just tried reinstalling XP from scratch and the blue screen is still coming up and won't let me install.

Plan B is to attach the HDD to my machine and then wipe it before attempting a fresh install

Dont do that, get an ubuntu live CD boot from that and you'll be able to copy your data to a Memory stick/External hard disk

Octavia VRS
Try booting up with just power and the VGA cable plugged in NOTHING else

Failing that reinstall XP matey

tried mate but still does the same.

yep tried that mate.

Dont do that, get an ubuntu live CD boot from that and you'll be able to copy your data to a Memory stick/External hard disk

it's ok as all data is on network drives.

how far is it getting before it blue screens?

Gets to the Windows XP screen with the progrss bar at the bottom, doesn't get as far as the welcome/login screen

try resetting the BIOS?

Have looked in the bios but just to see if I could see anything to change. Will try resetting to see what happens!

Tesla MP3 2021
reset CMOS setting either by lifting the battery or shorting the jumpers. Turn the PC on with nothing attached apart from monitor.

Octavia VRS
just did a reinstall and patched up the software. Running tests at the mo to see if everything is ok. Cheers for the replies :)

'18 Megane dci
If you have a Legacy USB support option in the BIOS, make sure it's turned off, an old PC of mine had similar symptoms and this fixed it.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Dunno if youve tried this....i had exaclty the same problem when i was repairing someones pc it just kept looping not actually getting to the Xp loading screen.

And i pressed Num lock and restarted and it worked fine.

Maybe worth a try.

edit:sorry just read you last post.

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
Dunno if youve tried this....i had exaclty the same problem when i was repairing someones pc it just kept looping not actually getting to the Xp loading screen.

And i pressed Num lock and restarted and it worked fine.

Maybe worth a try.

edit:sorry just read you last post.

Does that really work!! I have my now old PC with all my stuff on it that has been useless for the last year as it hase this same problem. I have used Nopix to view my files but it cant copy fat32 files!! Wil give this ago and see!

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
i havent read he whole thread, but if its restarting could be an over heating problem.

Nah, the problem, well mine anyhow is it gets to the xp loading screen and then reboots. Tried everything. Checked temps etc to no avail.