ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pc Gfx card upgrade help

None
I'm currently in the process of upgrading my pc and need a bit of advice. My old Ati 1900 xtx ig getting a bit slow on the newer games and i'm looking at getting either a Nvida GTX460 or GTX470. I was looking at the GTX 480 but I don't really fancy spending more than £250 on a gfx card. I usually use the pc for general stuff like music and casual gaming but I want to use nvida 3d vision on some of the newer games coming out (namey TDU2, Coling Mcrae Dirts 3 and Crysis 2..)

Can anyone tell me what the difference in performance would be roughly in percentage between a GTX460, GTX470 and a GTX480. Also if anyone can tell me what the step up in gfx would be like from my current card would be greatly appreciated :)

Current system specs if required:

Intel i3 @ 4ghz
4gb ddr dam
Windows 7 32bit (Will be looking to upgarde to 64bit windows when I get hold of a SSD Drive)

Thanks in advance

Mondeo diesel barge
Well the step up will be mahoosive with any of the three cards. I'd just go for the 460, so long as it's the 1gb version and not the 768mb. It comes really close to the performance of the 470, is around £40-£50 cheaper, runs a lot cooler and uses less power. I'm looking at getting one as well, upgrading from a 4850. Best companies for the 460 are MSI and gigabyte, can be had for around £175. Both have excellent coolers and will overclock really well. The 480 will be a big step in performance over the other two, but unless you are gaming at a massive resolution and require crysis and metro 2033 to run at max, then I would't bother spending £350 on one.

This website will give you the differences between the newest cards on games like crysis

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Prod...0.111.125.112.113.114.121.126.123.122.124.127

I take it you have a 3D monitor already?

None
Yea I have a 3d monitor already just need the gfx card and 3d vision kit. I'll have a look at the website - thanks for the link

Monaro VXR
Going to be honest now. I don't think 3D vision on a mid range card is really that workable. Not with new and upcoming games. Unless you run lower details and resolutions.

Those benchmarks you see on that link ro55o provided...basically half the FPS and you are close to the 3D Vision performance. It isn't something for low to mid range cards, guessing you have checked your monitor is one that is properly compatible. Not just think it is compatible because it says it can do so many Hz? There are only 9 monitors that work with it at the moment.

Compatibility list is here...http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.html

With upcoming games...honestly GTX480 minimum for 3D vision with decent frame rates and quality. Even then on some titles you will have to drop detail levels down. Seen some games push 2 x GTX480's when 3D Vision is turned on.

None
Hmm I might wait a bit longer then and maybe get a GTX490 when they come out then maybe run it in SLI which is a pain as my soundcard currently uses a pci-e slot. My monitors a viewsonic one on the list, which has a little 3d vision on the front so it should be compatable :)