ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC to laptop file transfer probs :(

Clio200 EDC Lux
OK trying to transfer aload of stuff from my pc to my laptop 20gb+. Tried dragging and dropping the files but for some reason I only get a transfer rate of just under 2mb (pc is connected to router via homeplug and laptop is wireless), so I had a old cross over cable so I connected both together using it but it won't transfer over 10mb even though both lan adapters are 100mb. Please help!!!! will getting a usb to usb cable be better?

Cupra
Open up task manager (CTRL-SHIFT-ESCAPE) and click on the networking tab. What connection speed are both showing?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
When you say it won't transfer via cross over cable at more than 10mb do you mean your transfer rate is 10 megabytes a second, or it's only connecting at 10Mbit?

Remember in networking terms 100Mb stands for 100 Megabits, which works out to a transfer rate of around 10 megabytes a second once you take the overheads into account.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Just plug in a normal Cat5e straight through and you will get gigabit speeds, don't worry about the cross over as your computer will automatically detect it and sort it all for you.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
But if his network adapters are only 100Mb he will only see a transfer rate of about 10 meg a second regardless of how they are connected.

Clio200 EDC Lux
OK pc to router is 100mb connection and laptop wireless to router is 54mb transfer rate between the two is 1mb, when I connected patch cable I get yellow ! in the connection thing in the taskbar? although it did transfer for a while but then dropped out.

Clio200 EDC Lux
Ok just connected both together using ethernet cable and files are transfering at 10.4mb sec, Chris R how come it doesn't transfer at 100mb a sec? if both lan connectors are 100mb?

182 Trophy #333
As chris already said, 100Mb is 100 Mega bits not mega bytes, a transfer rate of 10MB/s is fairly standard on a 100Mb connection, and 2Mb is about right for a 54g transfer rate, the only way to achieve better speeds would be to uprgade to Gigabit Ethernet if both the PC and laptop support it