ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Transferring Data Help...

Ok, so i've got my iMac now. I've managed to transfer all my data from my MacBook Pro over to it, via an Ethernet cable.

I'm stuck now though. I have an old Windows (running Windows Vista) laptop that I want to drag about 7500 songs off, as I want to have my full library of music again. (Didn't bother putting them on the MBP, as I didn't want to take up too much memory on it).
Now, the quickest way, again, seems to be via an Ethernet cable... This is where my problem occurs.

My iMac recognises that I have the laptop plugged in, but it just will not let me connect to it. I get stuck at the point where I enter a Username/password. I've tried it many times, but it just wont let me connect, even with the right username/password combination.
I've enabled sharing on the laptop. I even created a new account on there, just to make sure that I was getting everything right, but to no avail.

I've tried various methods off the internet and even had Sym0n trying to help me via iMessage, but i've gotten nowhere.

Anyone got any ideas?

For reference, it is about 33GB of data that i'm trying to move across, so it'll take forever to do it on my 256MB memory stick and will take up too many DVD's.

Thanks.

Cayman S Edition 1
Do you have a wireless network? If so, set up a share on your windows machine and access it from the mac.

Seems that i've tried all of that.

I think the problem is somewhere on the laptop though, as the iMac discovers that it's there but won't let me connect.
It was asking for the username/password. I purposely typed one in wrong and it shook at me, as it does on Macs, but then when I type the correct password in, it comes up with an error box saying that the IP or something cannot be identified and to contact system admin.

The dodgy thing is that if i'm on the laptop, it can't see the iMac. I've also tried to connect it to the iMac via a static IP, to no avail.
But, this leads me to believe that it must be something wrong on the laptops/Windows side of things, rather than the iMac?!

I also tried setting up a home private network. Both devices connected fine, but same problem.

F F S !!

Might just have to go and buy a f**king external hard drive.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
On your mac go to sharing and enable file sharing, choose the folders you want to cop your stuff from your windows pc to, click read and write permissions as well, then go to network and find your ipv4 address.

On the windows pc press Windows key + R and type \\(mac IP) then log in.

You should then be able to drag stuff to the folders you want them on the pc.

Oh also - the way you're saying that it can't see the static IP address of the iMac

Are you SURE they're on the same IP range?

What's the IP Address of the iMac and what's the IP Address of the Windows Laptop

Unless they're both on say 192.168.1.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 - they won't be able to see each other at all

Haha well that's the other option - pull the 2.5" hard drive out the laptop and you can buy a kit off amazon for about £15 that allows you to connect to it with a usb cable :)