ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pembroke coast & Skomer

Well my mate and me had been planning a trip over to the Pembroke coast at some point this summer and since the weather forecast looked so fine we made it this weekend. Friday evening traffic was pretty heavy along the M4, however once that cleared it was pretty pain free. Tent was pitched and cider opened by about 8pm!

This was essentially a camping / fishing / photography trip - with plenty of opportunity for all three. Saturday was spent on Skomer island, after a very early start queuing for the boat from Martin's Haven. Took over 700 photos during the course of the weekend, still sorting through and processing the better ones. Here are a selection from the first batch, plenty more on Flickr. Hope you like.

3581229191_b2e22bb402_b.jpg

3582059336_7ce142e89d_b.jpg

3582040792_1706fcffa8_b.jpg

3582079640_1043c13ae7_b.jpg

3581270529_4aa1c2443c_b.jpg

3582081558_38822128e2_b.jpg

3581271325_d89e0f6925_b.jpg

3582082916_6fb375960e_b.jpg

Cheers

Paul

BMW E46 330i Touring
Stunning mate, beautiful part of the country.

Don't suppose to tried to have a gander at the filming that they're doing around Freshwater!?!

Cheers both.

Ads I am assuming that you're referring to the new Robin Hood film....no we didn't but I don't think they've starting filming yet.

Ian

Focus TDCi
As said on Flickr these are a stunning set of photos, looks like a beatiful place to be while the good weather is about.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Aye the Robin Hood film; not sure if they've started filming but they've pretty much taken over the area!

Wow wow wow! My favourite part of the world and you've captured it beautifully. The Puffin shots are out of this world.

How does the Skomer trip work? Would love to pop over one day. Are you free to wander once there? Any details would be appreciated.

Goliath I
Stunning shots mate, loving the one with the fish

Aye the Robin Hood film; not sure if they've started filming but they've pretty much taken over the area!

They're filming Harry Potter down there at the moment. Robin Hood starts in a few weeks I think

Cheers guys - really enjoyed taking the photos, although I think I've seen enough Puffins tonight, so will do some processing after work this week ;)

Wow wow wow! My favourite part of the world and you've captured it beautifully. The Puffin shots are out of this world.

How does the Skomer trip work? Would love to pop over one day. Are you free to wander once there? Any details would be appreciated.

Yeah it's a fantastic coastline with some great scenery and lovely wildlife. With respect to Skomer, there is a little boat (carries about 50 people) which sails from Martin's Haven and heads over to the Island. The number of visitors is limited to 250/day so it's a first come first served arrangement. The boat starts sailing around 10ish, although on Saturday I think we left around 9:40ish. As the weather was so good the owner of the local campsite (15-20min walk) advised us to head down around 8ish.....which with the sun waking us up at 5am wasn't too much of a problem.

We ended up getting down to Martin's Haven just after 8am and were 20th and 21st in the queue, by 9am the queue was a least a 100 people long - no kidding. The early start was worth it, since we managed to bag a seat on the first boat out there and be one of the first few on the island.

The boat fare is £10 and the landing fee, payable on the island is £7, so £17 all in. Not cheap, but pretty good value for money if you like the sea, birds (of the feathered variety in this case!), photography etc. We had to catch the 3pm ferry back, so had a good 5 hours or so walking around the island. Facilities on the island are extremely limited, so essentially you need to take everything you'll need with you.....my shoulders were aching a little after lugging around camera, several lenses, tripod....plus food and water!

Check out..... http://www.welshwildlife.org/skomerIntro_en.link