ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Performance Tuner magazine test yesterday

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
After an 8 hour cleaning session on Tuesday on my little Cup it was ready for its feature and looking very clean if I do say so myself.

Got off to a shaky start with a phone call from Peter (The Photographer from the Magazine) saying the rollers had broken down and they were trying to fix them, I decided to head down anyway in the hope that they would be fixed, got down there about 12:20 and no news so we (Me, and my mates Shaun and Mike) decided to find a pub for lunch, found a nice Pub in virgina Waters (Very Posh area) and had a nice pub lunch and a beer, thankfully by about 2pm the rollers were up and running.

Had a really good day out down at Surrey Rolling road and I think in the end we tested 6 Induction kits throughout the day with some interesting results (You will have to wait for the Mag to come out to know the specific test results and what kits were tested)

Over all I'm happy, My car made 164.4BHP on the standard Airbox, which Charlie The rolling road operator said was a good result for the 172, he was expecting about 160bhp which is normal.

Suffice to say with my nice new Induction kit Courtesy of Performance Tuner Magazine I have a couple more BHP under my bonnet now and a much better understanding of induction kits.

I didn't take any photos despite taking my camera but Peter has promised to send me some Hi Res photos once the feature has been put together :D There are some good ones of my car and some bad ones of me and Shaun and Mike LOL

Big thank you to Surrey Rolling Road, Top service from Charlie, And big thank you to Peter for the enjoyable day out :cool:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
sounds like you had a great day mate, am i right thinking yours is pretty low mileage?

Just ticked over 17300 on the way home.

Fred, Cant give details mate you will have to wait for the Mag thats out in about 6/7 weeks time.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
ok fair enough can you say the price of "the best kit"?

Haha .Hercule Poirot is on the case . Would probably take about 2 mins to suss out what the kit is with the price eh Fred ;)

It'll be interesting to see the results .

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
PMSL At all the Miss Marpels on here ;)

You will all have to wait for the mag, its only fair.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
They didn't test the ITG maxogen or the BMC CDA or what ever the thing is called. They didn't give torque figures either unfortunately

Golf GT & A4 Avant
were these on a standard 172 then? surely the kits would only prove themselves with a car mapped for them?

Was standard as far as I know, it said it made 164/165bhp. In theory a better flow into the inlet would benefit a std engine, but you're not gonna get the most out of it unless remapped to suit.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Yeah Just read the mag myself, About sums up the day :) Lots of getting burn hands fitting various kits on a hot engine.

No we didnt test the Maxogen although we did have it there but it was to much effort to fit and we ran out of time on the rollers. Ant TBH anyone who spends near on £400 on an IK has more money than sence IMO ;)

Car standard made 165bhp so about right on the button, The K&N pannel filter gave about 1bhp so a small improvement.

The Gen 2 was the best performing and thats the one I kept from the day.

So all in a big thanks to Performance Tuner Mag for the day out :) Look out for my car showing up in Performance French Car mag in the next month or 2 of the RSTuner feature ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The K&N gen 2 is not sealed etc, will suffer from major heat soak etc. Farce imo!!!

Black Gold Trophy
this isnt very conclusive! is there any chance of someone scanning the article and posting it up?

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Mate you have just ruined ur cup:S stick a PH1 airbox on, it will see more than 1bhp and that will be without the fans blowing on it!

03 RS clio 172 flameR
this is very dodgy, k&n are the originals yes, but fact of the matter is there still as free flowing as most other filters, the problem isnt the shape or flow, its the temp of the air, now apart from spending £400 on a ITG which in fact would prove better than any open air filter, a pannel filter is going to be a good option as the standard CAF is in a very good situation, IMO, IK's and 172/182 jus dont match, they set up good as it is, jus change it to a pannel and spend your cash on somthiing more usful. like a chocolate fire guard!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Mate you have just ruined ur cup:S stick a PH1 airbox on, it will see more than 1bhp and that will be without the fans blowing on it!

PMSL This Thread just wont Die....

The PANEL FILTER gave the 1bhp not the IK ;)

And as for Ruining my Cup... How? (Aren't you the one with the Twin Pipes on his? Pot Kettle Black?)

I happy with it, it goes well with the bits I have done (K&N Gen 2, RSTuner, AWT matched inlets) And IMO Looks reasonable to -

e446889f.jpg

As for

jus change it to a pannel and spend your cash on somthiing more usful. like a chocolate fire guard!

1 - Changing to a Panel filter will drop the power from what I have now.
2 - It was Free so i still have money to spend on a Chocolate Fire Guard should I still need one ;)

03 RS clio 172 flameR
^^^^ hahaha, not you, if you get it free then cant complain, but most people would be better off with a ktec pannel filter for £28 quid than spending £400 on a ITG, yes it would be a little better with a ITG but is it worth £400....remap for £299 = 8bhp!
you agree?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
^^^^ hahaha, not you, if you get it free then cant complain, but most people would be better off with a ktec pannel filter for £28 quid than spending £400 on a ITG, yes it would be a little better with a ITG but is it worth £400....remap for £299 = 8bhp!
you agree?

Ah i get what your saying now And yes i agree, the gains over the panel filter for any IK, K&N - ITG will be minimal and if it was MY money Panel filter (Or Clio 172 PH1 / Espace V6 Airbox with ITG Filter) would be the way to go.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
PMSL This Thread just wont Die....

The PANEL FILTER gave the 1bhp not the IK ;)

And as for Ruining my Cup... How? (Aren't you the one with the Twin Pipes on his? Pot Kettle Black?)

I happy with it, it goes well with the bits I have done (K&N Gen 2, RSTuner, AWT matched inlets) And IMO Looks reasonable to -

e446889f.jpg

1 - Changing to a Panel filter will drop the power from what I have now.
2 - It was Free so i still have money to spend on a Chocolate Fire Guard should I still need one ;)

Never slated the looks:S

No way will the k&n be better than the PH1 airbox and itg filter i have fitted to mine. I took the k&n filter a few months ago as it was pants, the bhp it added will be due to the fan they use on the RR's!!

Did i fit the exhaust? i think not:clown: The exhaust will be coming off soon if you want to buy it, to go with the k&n;)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Whats the PH1 Box been RR'ed at on the car with what other mods done, as a matter of interest/Comparison to mine?

And still, How have a ruined the cup?