ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Performance upgrades for a Clio 172

Clio 172 Mk2

Hi all,

Last two weeks ago I bought a Clio 172 (had a Citrion ZX 1.4 before that!). Tried for about a week to sign up on this forum but I kept getting a 404 on the register page.

Does anyone know any good performance mods to get a 172 Clio to have around 190BHP? or isnt that simply not possible? i dont think you can do a lot to these cars can you?

someone from another forum suggested a induction kit
http://www.potn.com/-_c5206_2165_6349_6357_p1540190.htm

is it worth getting the car chipped as well? how much does that effect the fuel?

cheers!

I dont think youll notice a great deal of extra power from an Induction Kit to be honest but it cant harm to get one I guess!

172 Cup

Firstly welcome to the forums :D

The best way to answer your question is to spend some time looking at the search facilty. Theres no magic chip or mod that will grant you your answer but there is various options open to you.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..depends on your buget and how far you want to tune? headwork, cams, ik, full exhaust system, manifold matching, piggyback ecu (eg smt7)...200bhpish..3kish(high budget) or ik, exhaust, rsport ecu for better power delivery/drivabilty(low budget). or bolt on turbo 6kish..260bhpish, throttle bodies.. 3.5kish.. 210bhpish. hope this helps. 2.30am boredom! :cool:

Welcome to the club mate :)

Best place to start on a 172 is by helping it breath in and out, a good airfilter (Green give the best results we have seen so far) and exhaust (Magnex 2.5" bore, gotta love it :D ) should help you release a few BHP. Assuming your car was 172 std it will probably be close to around the 180 mark.

One thing to check with a good eye is the service history. We are seeing alot of 172s with neglected service history, put off by HUUUUUUGE dealer prices so it would be worth its weight in gold to take 5 mins to check the car over for any neglect as this wont only cost you HP, but money when something breaks :(

Assuming this checks out, then you can start looking into chips and ECU reflashs and slowly but surely the world becomes your oyster.

Catch me at http://www.bbpt.co.ukwww.bbpt.co.uk if you need any more help matey. Again, welcome to the club.

Dave

Clio 172 Mk2

Thanks for the replys chaps, a 172 is a massive improvement fron my last car, I just turned 22 years old on the 10th and im really surpised that I got insured on one seeing as I havent had insurance under my own name before! the car has only done 30,000 miles when I bought it at £6700, really impressed with it so far, not just for the speed, but the quailty and comfort of it. I live in Letchworth in Hertfordshire, anyone else around that area?

I have learnt quite a few things off this forum already like the engine being a bit jerky when you first start it up, glad to know that its a safety thing.

Quote: Originally posted by BBPT on 21 July 2005

Welcome to the club mate :)

Best place to start on a 172 is by helping it breath in and out, a good airfilter (Green give the best results we have seen so far) and exhaust (Magnex 2.5" bore, gotta love it :D ) should help you release a few BHP. Assuming your car was 172 std it will probably be close to around the 180 mark.

One thing to check with a good eye is the service history. We are seeing alot of 172s with neglected service history, put off by HUUUUUUGE dealer prices so it would be worth its weight in gold to take 5 mins to check the car over for any neglect as this wont only cost you HP, but money when something breaks :(

Assuming this checks out, then you can start looking into chips and ECU reflashs and slowly but surely the world becomes your oyster.

Catch me at http://www.bbpt.co.ukwww.bbpt.co.uk if you need any more help matey. Again, welcome to the club.

Dave

Thanks for the answer :)

Do you guys buy the parts from a web site and then fit them yourself? i dont know a lot about car modding, but I will give it a while before I do anything because my insurance will go up.

Is a air filter and a induction kit the same thing? (but a air filter is a cloth, and a induction kit is a cone \ tube thing).

do chipping a car effect the cars reliability? or do they just make the car drink petrol a lot quicker? Everytime I boot my car now I can actually notice the petrol gauge being lower! or maybe my old car was so good for petrol I took it for granted :)

Take care

-Rhys

[Edited by FishThrower on 21 July 2005 at 10:51am]

Weeman sucks ****

The green air filter noticably slowed my car down, straight back in the box!

Fish Thrower, speak to Mark Fish about the maxogen.

Golf R/Leon FR

^^yeah i agree also get a full cat back exhaust sytem to boot and it will release more free flowing power and itll sound nicer!!!!;)

2005 Impreza WRX STI

Dave, from BB. u sure about having around 180 bhp from exhaust and filter? especially an open one like green?:confused: maybe 180 with ITG,de cat and full exhaust?

Lionel Richie

best ive seen is a 13bhp gain (dynod at 171 @ fly before, then 184 afterwards on the same day, same dyno)

and that was with CAT back exhaust, Viper and superchip remap

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..pending on what make you choose, £300ish for a full system, £250ish for IK & and £250-500ish for chip :)

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by FishThrower on 21 July 2005
how much is 13BHP noticable tho? how much money am i looking to spend on the above?

ta

-Rhys

not really IMO, just sounds much better

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Ive spend about £800 for my exhaust, filter and Chip which has pushed me just over the 180bhp mark.
There is so much you can do. Every little helps even right down to port and polishing.

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 21 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by FishThrower on 21 July 2005

how much is 13BHP noticable tho? how much money am i looking to spend on the above?

ta

-Rhys

not really IMO, just sounds much better
torque is what makes you notice! you will obviously get an increase but not much! if you wanna make your eyes bleed then turbocharge it

IMO - new zorst isnt needed, as advised by the guys who mappe dmy car as they are pretty decent - similar with the IK - but its the sound that makes it!

With a new zorst, PiperX Viper IK and a Unichip (great buy for £450 + map) I got my 172bhp to 190/195. Smoother power, lower torque curve, better torque, and noticeable!

That set me back about 1k Id think... cams next - then head!

Most we have ever seen on a Green filter and exhaust was 184bhp (originally 169)..... That may have been a fluke however. The car carried on dynoing between 178-181hp so this is a rough 10hp increase which is perfectly acceptable and believeable. Final HP figures will of course depend on how the engine has been maintained over the XXXX miles that it has covered. Im only giving rough guides here, not 100% guranatees :)

In terms of sheer power for pound the Green open air cant be beaten, havnt seen any impressive power gains from space age fancy carbon plastic heatsheilded cold air feed ram scoop high flow blah blah blah filters that would warrant price tags touching the £300 mark :eek: especially when the green IK is a whisker over £80..........

The magic answer is of course that NO, you wont "feel" any driving gains from exhaust and filter. Most of those improvements will come from a chip but a chip will only work to its full potential with a good exhaust and filter in place. They all work hand in hand.

Problem with de-cats is that in some cases, by removing the cat, the 2nd lambda throws a fit and brings up the toxic emissions light. Not exactly the end of the world I know but as the long term effects on the engine of having the 2nd lambda out of the loop (so to speak) are not yet known, id advise waiting a while for this mod to anyone who asks.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

lol "space age fancy carbon"

Welcome to the early 90s BB !!

The green will chow down on hot air with the bonnet shut and power will drop.

Clio 172.
..depends on your buget and how far you want to tune? headwork, cams, ik, full exhaust system, manifold matching, piggyback ecu (eg smt7)...200bhpish..3kish(high budget) or ik, exhaust, rsport ecu for better power delivery/drivabilty(low budget). or bolt on turbo 6kish..260bhpish, throttle bodies.. 3.5kish.. 210bhpish. hope this helps. 2.30am boredom! :cool:
Any experience in boring them out?