ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pete's budget Ph1 track build

No updates for over a month but things have been happening. Finally sorted out the rattling exhaust. Someone had done the cable tie a socket to the rear exhaust mount. So decided to buy a new mount and did the fill it with Tiger seal to make a solid mount, Seems to have done the trick as rattle has now gone. Had the car MOT done and finally VOSA granted an MOT as a rally/highly modified car. Still needed to have both track rod ends and gaiters replaced. Just have to get the air bag lights knocked out and is booked in to Rentech for that and check out why the temp gauge is not working.

Had a little bit of time on my hands this weekend so decided to get my spare wheel sorted. My son had a spare tyre lying around so had it fitted and re-furbed my wheel to go with the work we did on the tool kit. Now thinking I should do this with all the wheels.

9338125066_b0d10dd33a_c.jpg

9338127800_56150e0744_c.jpg

9338129978_b05b530b94_c.jpg

I will be going to French Car Show in the French Car. Thanks Mike for sorting out my wiring loom to cure the problem with the temp gauge not working. Too late to put it on track though so will be in the clio car park.

Clio 182 trophy
can we not buy track time on the day then pete? normally we can but will cost you slightly more. thats what im hoping anyway. haha

megane hatchback
can you explain this please ... 'Had the car MOT done and finally VOSA granted an MOT as a rally/highly modified car.'

can you explain this please ... 'Had the car MOT done and finally VOSA granted an MOT as a rally/highly modified car.'

As the car has airbags removed that would be a failure on normal MOT regs. Vosa issued guidance in April to cover rally cars and highly modified cars to cover this. It stated that cars fitted with a roll cage, bucket seats, harnesses and aftermarket steering wheel should be MOT'd to cover this. As I still had airbag lights on in the dash this was a failure. So my MOT inspector contacted Vosa for advice on this. They agreed to pass it on a promise to have the lights put out. This will now be subject to another guidance note from Vosa in the future.

megane hatchback
As the car has airbags removed that would be a failure on normal MOT regs. Vosa issued guidance in April to cover rally cars and highly modified cars to cover this. It stated that cars fitted with a roll cage, bucket seats, harnesses and aftermarket steering wheel should be MOT'd to cover this. As I still had airbag lights on in the dash this was a failure. So my MOT inspector contacted Vosa for advice on this. They agreed to pass it on a promise to have the lights put out. This will now be subject to another guidance note from Vosa in the future.

I did not know this. I've just had my Megane MOT'd; stripped interior, bucket seats, harnesses, cage, aftermarket steering wheel, no SRS system. I just taped over the airbag light haha. do changes need to registered with VOSA do you know? thanks Anthony

Anthony don't think you have to declare anything to Vosa it should be picked up by the MOT inspector. Sounds like you had a good one who was aware of the guidelines.

On a lighter note I no longer have a pissed steering wheel. Took it back to Wheel Alignment Centre and Nick threw it on the ramp. Ten minutes later all sorted. He didn't want anything for doing it so gave him the price of a drink. Got home and noticed the exhaust back box had dropped. Got under the car and saw the clamp had broken. Visit to my local exhaust centre and again fixed for the price of a drink. So car is ready for FCS after I threw a bucket of water over it tonight.

What a great day we had at FCS. The car got there with no issues and went off for breakfast. Checked in to register for a passenger pass as Chris had offered to take me out in his Ph1. asked if they had any track time left and was offered several choices. They had one slot left for the 2 hour open pit session. Decided this would be an ideal way to shake down the car. Had it noise tested and then queued to get on track. First part of the session TimR26 went out with me. Thanks for the tips and sorry if I was too tentative and slow. Was having to learn to trust the car and find some limits. Car ran really well and even survived my short cut through Bobbies when I left my turn in and braking too late. That session ended with a red flag. Allowed the car some time to cool down and checked the tyre pressures and fluids. Let the tyres down to 26 psi and went out again. Felt a lot quicker and began pushing through corners more. Even managed to overtake a couple of cars. Came in after 20 minutes and let the car cool again, Two more outings where each time they were stopped for red flags. Almost out of petrol headed off to the Cliosport stand to let the car bask in the glory of proving that it really was a track car. Had a great time and the car stood up to the rigours of the day well. Did notice more of a crunch when changing up to third on the way home. But at least the gearbox from Scott was in the boot ready to get re-conditioned. Roll on the next track day.

Haven't found anyone who took any pics of the car on track so will have to use the one from the stand parked next to it's twin (Christopher.s)
9377402939_57b4721970_c.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pretty sure I have your shortcut on video as I remember it happening cause I commented "thats the rallycross line" and then made damn sure I was past you by camp so if you forgot about the mud on your tyres I was out of the picture, lol.

Will have a look when I get a chance.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
PS, llandow is a much better place to learn what your car can do than combe, as on camp or quarry or even tower if you make a fairly big mistake its highly likely to be new car time!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
It was great to see and speak to you again at Combe, Pete. I'm sorry I didn't get any track shots but, as you know, I wandered up to Quarry and then broke my lens. :( This track project is coming along nicely and it would be fantastic to see you at Llandow...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looked at my video and you are just a dot in the distance at the time you went over the grass, not really worth uploading TBH, cant even see what car it is.

Time for another update following the biggest week of my Clio's life. We visited three tracks but only drove on one of them. The week began with a blast up to Silverstone for Trax. Did a lot of cleaning in prep for it so that it would look like acceptable on the stand.

9704613000_a1ceec2dcd_c.jpg

Then last Thursday had a track day at Thruxton. Car behaved impeccably all day and got through two tanks of petrol nearly. Had a great time and was surprised at how fast the car was, even embarrassing a couple of Porsches and a BMW Z4 coupe. The gearbox held up with hardly a problem with the notchy 3rd gear. Drove it home and decided not to bother to clean it for Forge Action Day at Castle Combe.

9734173954_a61382c63e_c.jpg

9734172494_a019d71f6c_c.jpg

9730925135_b66047fefa_c.jpg

Then on Saturday we went to Castle Combe for Forge Action Day. Resisted the temptation to put the car on track. After all of these exploits as I got home on Saturday the car decided it had had enough and coughed and spluttered for the last mile home. Died outside my house. But it did start up alright when I moved it back into my drive. Have left it for a couple of days as have been away for a short break. Will give it a run at the weekend and see how it goes.

9758173285_bb099828f0_c.jpg

9758151404_09aa1bd240_c.jpg

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Looks fantastic on track and sounds like thruxton was a good day out.

Hope it's nothing too serious and it's back running again mate.

Quick update on my non running Clio. Spoke to Mike and Chip at the Longbridge Mill meet who suggested the timing belt had slipped. Have got it booked in with the mechanic who fitted the cambelt and it should be going on Tuesday. Then I'll make my mind up on what to do with it.

Got the car back from my mechanic this week all working. Seems like it wasn't as bad as we thought. He seems to think it was a glitch with the ECU that caused it to run rough. Changed plugs, coil pack and leads and it was still running rough. He then did a compression test on it but no real clue there. Cleared off all the warnings on the fault reader, put it back together and it fired up and runs perfectly. Rang me immediately and told me to get it out of his garage. Has run perfectly since.

Sad thing is I need to sell it now as we need more money to do essential things to the house as we are in the process of looking at moving. The other thing is we need to go down to two cars between us and the wife won't sell her Agila or drive the Panda.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Glad you've got the problem sorted out fella.. but sell..??? Nooo... Seriously.? Fingers crossed you might find another way of freeing up some cash Pete. I was looking forward to meeting up with you at a track day or two next year.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Won't sell an Agila, most people would be pleased to get shot of that! Sad times that the Clio has to go :(

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Good and bad news there Pete.

No way you can hold onto it? Be shame to see it go after all your work.