ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Petrol Shootout Test - Tesco 99 Is the Winner

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
have red it. TMS have reported a 5bhp gain on a std C-VXR too

most doing 195 on 95 and 200ish on super

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
All these results mean nowt. It's been shown many times that different cars run better on different fuels (Evo's run better on Vpower, Scoobs on BP Ultimate IIRC).

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Also the age of the fuel plays a big role, octane rating drops with time. So find the fuel your indivual car runs best on (Vpower for me), then use a busy station where the fuel won't have been stored for months on end.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Busy V-Power Station it is for me then.... No more filling up in my quiet little town where hardly anyone uses V-Power

PH1 172 Sport
Ive been using V-Power since I got the clio but im going to give tesco 99 a whirl to see what its like.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Whenever I've tried the Tesco stuff, car has run really badly. I think it's because of the Ethanol, IIRC it's not a true 99ron fuel, they artificially push the ron up with the ethanol (as opposed to Vpower which is true 99)

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Does not seem to make any diff i need 98ron minimun in the old girl so its Tesco 99 or V power for me

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Whenever I've tried the Tesco stuff, car has run really badly. I think it's because of the Ethanol, IIRC it's not a true 99ron fuel, they artificially push the ron up with the ethanol (as opposed to Vpower which is true 99)

I do use Tesco stuff the most - occasionally, V-Power. The key difference I notice over the higher octane stuff compared to 95RON, is the much smoother idling. I notice it a lot when sat in traffic and certainly lower down the rev-range, the car feels smoother as a whole.

I would have thought any real benefits would have been the reserve of turbo'd cars though?

D.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
When EVO ran a test, CTR and Jag (supercharged) showed the most gains, BMW m-coupe showed hardly any (better made lump). I use them more for the cleaning additives and smoother idle than any performance gain.

i would have thought the car needed to be mapped to that particular fuel to get the best out of it.

I remember the chip i used in the Punto was mapped to 95ron as thats what they have in italy, so putting V-power in was a waste of time, just kept the engine cleaner.

That is very true, But I was speaking to a Seat tuner a little while back but he really rated tesco 99 along with lots of other you can run the most advance without issues on it. (Better than V-power) But these 1.8t love high octane fuel.

Ph2 172 Cup
Well I've just tried a tank of Morrisons standard having only used V-Power or Tescos 99 up to now and it 'feels' like there is a significant difference. Much more sluggish with the standard unleaded.

The next thing I want to try is the RSTuner 98RON map to see if that 'feels' better than the standard map with decent petrol.

Ph2 172 Cup
Yeah I know that, but the tank was pretty empty and I've been through most of a tank of normal unleaded now. I know that the ECU might also take some time to 'learn' about the new fuel as well.

I know it's not scientific but for me, I'll be sticking to the performance brands.

I'd never bother with BP Ultimate 102 though - £2.50 per litre!!!!

Yeah I know that, but the tank was pretty empty and I've been through most of a tank of normal unleaded now. I know that the ECU might also take some time to 'learn' about the new fuel as well.

I know it's not scientific but for me, I'll be sticking to the performance brands.

Bloody hell. thats crazy!

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
isnt V Power 98ron not 99? i always use Tesco and carnt fault it. Its cheeper than V Power too, the Tesco garage i use is always mad busy too so maybe new fuel helps

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo

Bloody hell. thats crazy!

i woulndt bother with the 102 stuff thats race fuel ur car will run shite on it

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
me and my dad put it in his skyline and it ran shite we had to have it mapped for that fuel to run it i would of thought the clio woulndt have been much difference

Monaco Ph2 172
Always used super-leaded (96 / 97 RON) in my cars, but when Tesco introduced 99RON I tried that in my 172 and it seemed to make a positive difference. Only thing was, each time I filled up I got inconsistent results. Sometimes it would be good, sometimes poor. Even so, 99RON seemed to make it rev smoother between 2.5-4k.

Use Shell V-Power exclusively now. Even got myself an invitation-only V-Power points card! ;)

...and mine says 98RON on the filler flap. Even the Williams specified 97RON in the handbook.

Polo + Micra
i use v-power in the gti as it's the closest garage to me and i've had the gti mapped to run 98 ron.

i've also got a v-power club card lol

A4 oil burner !!!
The wifes Audi A2 is supposed to run on super unleaded which we didnt know when we bought it. Alot of niggling issues coil packs replaced after the engine management light came on. The audi dealership then stated that it should run on 97 + octane stuff or the light may come on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was a 1.6 FSI Sport (LOL)

I usually use tesco 99 stuff and it does the job may sound a bit gruffer but i kinda like that !!!

PH1 172 Sport
If you go from using regular fuel to high octane fuel I think your supposed to reset the ecu by disconecting the battery to make sure your get the most from it.

i wouldnt have thought so? After all the ECU is a computer, i wouldnt have thought it would be learning what fuel you were putting in? ECU`s only do what they are programmed to do......

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i wouldnt have thought so? After all the ECU is a computer, i wouldnt have thought it would be learning what fuel you were putting in? ECU`s only do what they are programmed to do......

Correct...... ish

They will advance/r****d the ignition depending on fuel grade. I know alot of turbo cars run knock sensors..... shite fuel will make the ecu r****d (reduce performance) to prevent damage. i'm sure the Reanult must have some sot of knock detection system....

PH1 172 Sport
Correct...... ish

They will advance/r****d the ignition depending on fuel grade. I know alot of turbo cars run knock sensors..... s**te fuel will make the ecu r****d (reduce performance) to prevent damage. i'm sure the Reanult must have some sot of knock detection system....

Clio Sports do have knock sensors and will advance the timing as much as possible because of this. Hence why they should run better on higher octane fuel as it is more compressable and will therefore be less likly to preignite under compression so the timing can be advanced more.

the GT had a knock sensor, but it was only to r****d the timing when using s**t fuel, not advance it then using better fuel.

So the Clio can advance timing when using better/ higher Ron fuel?

It does help with detonating / pre-igniting /' pinking' Though.

But i filled up today, was £1.22p/l

Shocking price.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
It'll r****d it if using 95 ron. I'm sure Pmurry said they can pink if ran on it (clio mapper)