ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Petrol smell in my oil

Clio Sport 172
Hi guys, need a wee bitta advice.

I've been away for a wee while and my cars been parked in the folks drive for the past few weeks. I took it out for a half hour blast to put a smile on today.
Anyway, I came back n left it for a while then decided to check the oil n everything. On checking the dip stick I noticed the oil level is up and there's a noticable smell of petrol on it. Was wondering if anyone could give me bitta advice.

Is this just needin a service and oil change or is it symptomatic of something more serious. Just wanna be a wee bit forearmed before I do summit about it.

She sounds fine and seems to be runnin ok and had no problems on the blast I gave it earlier.

Any help is much appreciated ;) thanks a lot.

ValverInBits
The only way you can get petrol into oil is past the pistons (past the piston rings). That's not a very good sign. It's natural that a small amount would get into the oil, but not a lot.

Are you sure you smelt petrol?
Did you blat it from cold?

My advice would be to check it regularly, note your fuel consumption, go easy till it's warmed up (<3.5K), consider a compression test to check the ring condition.

Clio Sport 172
Positive I smell petrol. Wasn't blasted from cold cold coz I had the engine runnin for a wee bit before I left the drive, I used a electric pump to bring the tyre pressure back up. Was tickin over for a while. And when I say blast, trust me I wasn't raggin it.

Thanks for the advice mate.. I'll keep an eye on it, but startin to get a bad feelin bout it.
Will get someone to give it a look for me soon as I'm movin an shakin again.

Cheers mate.

LY 182
if its been stopped/started/short journeys its quite normal, should oil change it though

Clio Sport 172
Koolio mate. Will get it sorted. Personally I kno in meself it's probably ok. But my Dad will argue the point till I prove him wrong. It has been sittin n he is a tosser who thinks it's a hardship to tick it over wen am not around.

No worried bout it now. He just had me panicin ;)
got a mate comin to have a look sooooo we'll see.

Thanks for takin the time to put ma wee napper at ease :D
Appreciated