ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Peugeot 106 GTi track project

Megane 250
Thought I'd put up a thread for my 106 GTi track car project, someone may be interested.

Paid £300 for it in September 2014, looked a bit worse for wear but ran and drove well, on 104k, had some paint work done on it and then started playing with it properly.

Owned a couple of 16v engines saxos and had been in a few and this 106 always kinda felt "slow" so decided j was going to add some catcams to it, was speaking to a friend and he decided he would sell me his JP4S engine from a C2 VTS and this was already Cammed with catcam 705s.

Dropped this into the car along with a suoersprint non silenced exhaust and 2" tail pipe, stripped it, added a bucket and harness and my steering wheel.

Booked a track day, which was brilliant fun, found myself holding back a bit though because it was a daily. This is where I bought a 182 daily.

So the GTi has recently become just a toy.

Current spec:-

Gaz GHA adjustable coilovers around
Refurbished rear axle
56k JP4S engine with catcam 705s
Supersprint 2" unsilenced exhaust
Bucket seat and harness
Omp Corsica
Ono upper strut brace
266mm brake upgrade
Pro race 1.2s with R888s waiting
Satchel engineer satchshift waiting to be fitted
Aero catched bonnet
Half stripped - will now be stripping everything not needed.

Few pics:-

086ea79c2add271d10f6fa8c2529bb67.jpg

32262059978216ea8f7f4b906121493b.jpg

bde34c005fa6e6c4e34f3619e2bb4d64.jpg

Exhaust video:-

First session on track, not uploaded videos from later in the day where I was pushing harder:-

Got another track day booked at llandow for 11th July.

Plans are to get a full cage and running on throttle bodies for next year, but we will see yet.

Megane 250
Few bits ordered for this this week, some 20mm spacers around to help the R888s clear the inner arches and a stud nut conversion kit.

Really can't wait to get back out in this.

Megane 250
So been working on the 106 for the last couple of weeks, fitted my satchshift, 1.2s, R888s, spacers, stud nut kit, new bucket seats and harnesses, new rad and a new driveshaft.

MOT in the morning, fingers crossed it passes because my landlord has said I can't work on the 106 on the drive anymore and I have a track day coming up.

Few pics for anyone interested.

4fbd59910ac80121e747d118f178e03b.jpg

18136468ae1493456d6340137a311be7.jpg

1b4dd5930e3544737cf63dd99021f937.jpg

47b3aaef22725b88e16661d5a33264b0.jpg

Also started it for the first time in 3 weeks.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Love these, my mate has a Nana 106 gti on ITBs and cams, and his brother has a black 106 gti turbo with 400+ bhp!
Always had a soft spot for them, especially purposeful ones!

Megane 250
Love these, my mate has a Nana 106 gti on ITBs and cams, and his brother has a black 106 gti turbo with 400+ bhp!
Always had a soft spot for them, especially purposeful ones!

I think i know of the 2 chaps your on about.

Yeah, they look well for their age in my opinion.

I'll be sorting this out with throttle bodies in hopefully the not too distant future.

Megane 250
Since the last update I have done another track day at llandow, The difference between using T1Rs and R888s was insane, Taking corners much faster and also give me a lot more confidence, The satchshift is a brilliant bit of kit, Worth the money and the effort of fitting it.

Ive done 2 track days in it this year and it hasn't really done much else which is a shame, But insuring it is a pain being 21 with 2 cars.

I did have Castle Combe booked for this coming tuesday but I decided to cancel this in favour or a roll cage, I will be shortly ordering a Safety devices roll cage, I think this is a wise purchase before I start to collect the parts for the throttle bodies which fingers crossed will happen in the early part of next year, Over the next few months I will be fitting the cage, going to try and book one more day in for October at llandow and then that will be it, I have the fun task of finding out which standalone management I will be going for Omex 600 or DTA S40?

Anyways Not sure if many of you have read this, But would be interested in hearing peoples views :).

Megane 250
How much does it owe you all together?
Paid £300 for the car, currently owes me around £2k at the moment. Unfortunately £400 is paintwork because it was f originally gonna be a second car.

I know it's only a 106 but the cost doesn't bother me, I enjoy building it and love driving it.

Megane 250
I love this!

The license plate is brilliant too

Thanks mate, just checked my tinehop and I owner it a year today!

Haha which bit of the plate?

My mates say it looks like r****d or turd haha

Car people normally see TRD which is Toyota Racing Developments.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks mate, just checked my tinehop and I owner it a year today!

Haha which bit of the plate?

My mates say it looks like r****d or turd haha

Car people normally see TRD which is Toyota Racing Developments.

Your mates see it too lol.

R**ETRD lol

That vid in the op with the exhaust is hilarious. God I want one.

Also, how tall are you? Because that vid at llandow with the small wheel and general 106ness makes you look f**king huge lol. How do you find the car Space wise? I'm 6 foot 2 and the pedals in my mates old saxo were awkwardly placed for me, the 106 pedal set up in the same isn't it?

Megane 250
Your mates see it too lol.

R**ETRD lol

That vid in the op with the exhaust is hilarious. God I want one.

Also, how tall are you? Because that vid at llandow with the small wheel and general 106ness makes you look f**king huge lol. How do you find the car Space wise? I'm 6 foot 2 and the pedals in my mates old saxo were awkwardly placed for me, the 106 pedal set up in the same isn't it?

The cars obnoxiously loud, but it's hilarious, the pops and bangs are nuts, the chav in me loves this, but I couldn't do it daily again.

I'm 5ft9ish, but I'm a big lad at like 19st haha! The pedal box is small coming from the Clio, but it's not too bad.

Yeah saxos and 106s are the same. 90% of parts will swap between the 2.

Megane 250
Looks an awesome little track car!
Will check videos out later.

Maybe see you at llandow one day! [emoji4]

I'm booked back on for 17th October dude!

Funny enough I was gonna PM you to see where you got the Llandow circuit stickers from but they've now got them for sale so will pick one up on my next day!

I'm booked back on for 17th October dude!

Funny enough I was gonna PM you to see where you got the Llandow circuit stickers from but they've now got them for sale so will pick one up on my next day!
819bf60d34f0e60950b9be3cb2b3621e.jpg

Want one? Lol.

Got some made, asked for one in white and one in yellow. He made lots for me. Lol.

They sell them at the track but their exterior ones. Don't do the interior glass ones.
I definitely have a white glass one, Maybe a yellow one?
Guy in Ebbw vale vinyl place made me them. He'd make you one in any colour and size.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I love that.

I've had both a VTS/GTI so know where the appeal lies. That JP4 engine is superb. My standard 106 made 134bhp lol.

Megane 250
819bf60d34f0e60950b9be3cb2b3621e.jpg

Want one? Lol.

Got some made, asked for one in white and one in yellow. He made lots for me. Lol.

They sell them at the track but their exterior ones. Don't do the interior glass ones.
I definitely have a white glass one, Maybe a yellow one?
Guy in Ebbw vale vinyl place made me them. He'd make you one in any colour and size.

I don't mind exterior, I got a few stickers on the back for Facebook/Instagram pages haha.

What place is that dude?

Megane 250
I love that.

I've had both a VTS/GTI so know where the appeal lies. That JP4 engine is superb. My standard 106 made 134bhp lol.

Cheers bud, first car was a saxo VTR which I done a 16v swap on, then crashed it. Learnt my lesson, got this and tracked it. So much fun for what they are.

Mines the JP4S which is supposedly 125bhp standard, I'd like to think I'm around 135/140bhp mark and eventually I'd like to see it around 160/170bhp N/A.

I don't mind exterior, I got a few stickers on the back for Facebook/Instagram pages haha.

What place is that dude?
Well your welcome to one of mine, their interior glass ones.
Llandow sell exterior ones.

Or PMR will do anything in and size or colour. He's great, even did a few trial runs/tweaks untill I was happy with a size etc. If you do go, he has llandow on his system.... just say you know the guy that was here a few months back who had 3 track decals made. He'll know what your on about. Does number plates etc too.
https://www.yell.com/biz/pmr-signs-ebbw-vale-3619626/

Megane 250
Well your welcome to one of mine, their interior glass ones.
Llandow sell exterior ones.

Or PMR will do anything in and size or colour. He's great, even did a few trial runs/tweaks untill I was happy with a size etc. If you do go, he has llandow on his system.... just say you know the guy that was here a few months back who had 3 track decals made. He'll know what your on about. Does number plates etc too.
https://www.yell.com/biz/pmr-signs-ebbw-vale-3619626/

Ah cheers dude! I may have to pinch one of them off you :)

Few of us are heading over black mountains on Sunday, me and @SimpleJoee and his mate with a 197 meg conversion and I think one or two other with 172/182s, offers there if your free :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Cheers bud, first car was a saxo VTR which I done a 16v swap on, then crashed it. Learnt my lesson, got this and tracked it. So much fun for what they are.

Mines the JP4S which is supposedly 125bhp standard, I'd like to think I'm around 135/140bhp mark and eventually I'd like to see it around 160/170bhp N/A.

A well peddled one with 150bhp will stay with a lot of seriously more powerful cars.. What weight is it?

Megane 250
A well peddled one with 150bhp will stay with a lot of seriously more powerful cars.. What weight is it?

I've not weighed it, it's on my to do list, it's completely stripped out, no carpets, door panels etc, fibreglass buckets.

I'd like to think 900kg? I plan on polycarb windows, lightweight battery etc to try and offset the weight of the cage. I may also diet too and try and lose a stone or 5.

Megane 250
They're only 935kg's standard so i wouldn't be surprised if its around the 850kg's mark..

That would be nice then, all about power to weight in these, maybe I should get it on a rolling road and weighed and see where I am before I get throttle bodies.

Ah cheers dude! I may have to pinch one of them off you :)

Few of us are heading over black mountains on Sunday, me and @SimpleJoee and his mate with a 197 meg conversion and I think one or two other with 172/182s, offers there if your free :)
Sure if you want one. No prob. [emoji106]

Cheers for the invite. Sounds great, not sure how the weekends going to pan out. Got a mates wedding and few other bits on this weekend [emoji20]

When you heading over on Sunday ?
If I'm able to come I'll pm you. If not this weekend, another time for sure! [emoji106] [emoji4]

Megane 250
Sure if you want one. No prob. [emoji106]

Cheers for the invite. Sounds great, not sure how the weekends going to pan out. Got a mates wedding and few other bits on this weekend [emoji20]

When you heading over on Sunday ?
If I'm able to come I'll pm you. If not this weekend, another time for sure! [emoji106] [emoji4]

I think we are planning to leave around 10:30 from Merthyr, I think cyfartha retail park.

If you can't make this, the next one we do I'll drop you a PM, any excuse for a nice drive and some pics.

Great. Cheers

Back to the car weight...
If you lost 5 stone, you'd lighten both your cars then too [emoji14] 2 birds 1 stone
Be interesting to see how much the 106 weighs.
Take to local tip with a weight bridge?

Megane 250
Great. Cheers

Back to the car weight...
If you lost 5 stone, you'd lighten both your cars then too [emoji14] 2 birds 1 stone
Be interesting to see how much the 106 weighs.
Take to local tip with a weight bridge?

I'm a big lad so it's on the cards anyways [emoji23] look at it for car weight saving reasons might motivate me more haha

Do you have to pay to put it on one of them? Don't mind if I do, just not sure what to ask or do, might pop to the one in sirhowy tomorrow and see if they'll let me when it's back out.