ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Peugeot 208 vs clio renaultsport 200 turbo

172 exclusive no 172
What are people's views ?

Clio 1.6 turbo , semi automatic 5 door around £18995

peugeot 208 GTI 1.6 turbo , 6 speed manual , 35 mm torque more , better looking and cheaper

​discuss lol

Last edited:

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not interested in either tbh, they both do nothing for me, i hope Renaultsport dont go the same way as Peugeot and lose their hot hatch genius.I know things move on etc but i have no interest in a hot hatch with (a) 5 doors and (b) no manual option. Its bad enough that everything has traction control and abs nowadays to stop numpties putting one through a hedge every 5 minutes but thats understandable i guess. I'll stick to my S1 106 Rallye and 182 racecar, when hot hatches were great!
​Russ

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Although I wouldn't have either... I'd take the peugeot.

quick Clio's should be 2.0 and n/a... And wide bodied.

pugs have failed at hot hatches IMO since the 106/306 etc so it makes no difference whether they want to boost their engines

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What are people's views ?

Clio 1.6 turbo , semi automatic 5 door around £18995

peugeot 208 GTI 1.6 turbo , 6 speed manual , 35 mm torque more , better looking and cheaper

​discuss lol

If it drives like a 206 or a 207 it's all a moot point. They were/are woeful.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I'm going to test drive the 208 and the ST Fezzy when I'm back off holiday.

Got sneaky feeling though a top end diesel Fezzy may call. Not sure why.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Peugeot is meant to be not that great, I would go Clio or if you want manual and a bit cheaper, Fiesta ST. Looking forward to driving both!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
None of the new small hatches to be honest. There's nothing new that tickles my Gherkin in the slightest.

Ph2 Clio 172
Just this morning read the Evo magazine review of the 208, and it sounds awefully drab and dull. Basically a stock 208 with slightly stiffer springs and the ECU tweaked to make it more powerful.

But then the Clio hasn't really set the world alight either.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I think people are getting their hopes up about this Peugeot. It's not going to be "that" good. I've spoken to 2 salesman so far and the problem is they have bigged the car up too much, too much "205" chat. It hasn't quite hit that spot.

I think overall the Clio and the ST will leave it behind although it's not the worst looking car by a long way.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
the fiesta ST is going to be the new small hot hatch to beat I feel, especially when the tuners get their teeth into it

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
208 front is "busy", but i'm not against it at all.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Next week will tell all.

JT over on RS confirmed their 200T with Cup chassis has been doing the rounds this week, various publications (including Top Gear) have been putting all 3 head to head.

What I'm seeing so far is a lot of love for the ST, some love for the 200T, and not much at all for the 208.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols. Just had a Black Gti over from the Peugeot garage, they were picking up another car. I simply have no words for those wheels. Like spaghetti junction and a yoof's wet dream. The front is just all over the place.

Not a fan in the flesh.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I only know one person who has anything good to say about these 208's & he is working for them lol.

BG 182
An end of an era for renault,

Not quite out of the gutter for Peugeot,

Beginning of a new era for ford.

= buy new st

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh it's the ford that would be my favourite too especially for the price which no one has mentioned. Has anyone driven a 208? I drove a base model a while back and it was horrific, fundamentally flawed IMO, the gti has no hope really.
Russ

BG 182
Have they managed to put a proper gearbox in the 208? I've driven 206+7 and 307 and the gearchange is like stirring rubble and tin cans...

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
19k on a french car that would lose almost 50% of it's value in the first 12 months, I think you know my responce.

Clio 172
I'd want to own a Peugeot marginally more than I'd want to owna Citroen or Kia. Not a fan of the Renault with it's 5 doors and dsg but the Ford does have something about it.