ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph-Quick Rally Car Build

RB 182 Cup
Update-ette!

Someone asked what its cost to repair the engine, and as I now have the bill, I thought I'd add it up and scare myself...

Head bolts: £20.83
Water pump: £16.80
Inlet Valves: £6.09 times 16
Exhaust Valves: £7.30 times 16
Oil Filter: £4.02
Sump plug washer: £0.83
5L Type D coolant: £14.53
Head Gasket Set: £55.74
Cam plugs: £2.99 + £5.84
Spark Plugs: £6.27 times 4
Thermostat: £5.64
Silicone Gasket: £7.56
Auxiliary belt kit: £83.20
Cam Belt Kit: £97.63

All these prices are trade, and exclude VAT.

Obviously I could have repaired it alot cheaper, but as the car is going to start getting a hammering in its next life, I didn't want to take a chance.

To combat all this expense, I've started selling off bits that I won't need to raise money for all the expensive bits I will need!

Better update, and more pics soon.

RB 182 Cup
After 2 atempted pick ups from Parcel force, much yelling and a couple of internet searches for alternative courier firms.... This arrived today:

DSCF0325.jpg

:D :approve:

RB 182 Cup
UPDATE !

As my wife was going out with the girls last night, I thought I'd use the opportunity to spen a few hours on the car, and get the fecker stripped! Me and my brother attacked it, and spent 3 and a half hours taking it all to bits. Can't beleive how much crap and sound proofing came out of the car, considering its supposed to be quite a light car anyway. Its easy to see how they made the Cup even lighter.

Anyway, ended up with 3 piles of interior bits to try and sell, and a large cardboard box full of all the soundproofing foam and all the anti resonance tar.

DSCF0414.jpg

DSCF0415.jpg

DSCF0417.jpg

DSCF0416.jpg

And this is how the car looked at 10pm last night!

DSCF0420.jpg

DSCF0419.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

Amazed the rear suspension has come up so far at the back. I won some Apex springs off eBay the other week, and think now that I'm going to have to fit just the rears, just to bring the car back down level again!

Spending next Saturday on the car, and 3 days over Christmas to get the following done:

Remove all unwanted brackets
Weld up all the standard holes in the floor
Fit seat rails for the bucket seats
Fit the cage, door bars, harness bar and cage stiffeners
Fit sill stands
Clean all the tar residue up
Etch prime all the welded areas
Scotch brite all of the interior, and mask
Spray the whole lot in Vauxhall Glacier white 2 pack.

Eeep! :eek: :S

M

mini-valver

Good progress again mate! Get the dash out and remove all the brown foam crap from the bulkhead, You wouldn't beleive the weight of it!

RB 182 Cup
Cheers!

I was hoping not to remove the dash, but I think its going to have to come out to get the cage in.

Can you not get all the brown crap out without removing the dash?

M

mini-valver

You can get 90% of it out but it's a proper nightmare. Takes 20 mins to get the dash out, I was dreading it but I took my time and was suprised how easy it actually is!

RB 182 Cup
Oh balls!

Trial fitted the cage today, and it looks like the dash has got to come out, and be cut to refit round the cage. :(

I spose it means I can get all the brown sound proofing cack out. I looked for a guide to get the dash out, and there isn't one, so thought I might take a few more photos and knock one up.

Got the whole day on the car tomorrow, and I have a big list of jobs that need doing. Hopefully I'll make good progress.

lift number 1 @ btm
you can fit the cage without taking the dash out, you have to shorten the door bars and top bars.

i'll try to find a pic of mine.

RB 182 Cup
Thanks for the photos. I am going to fit the cage as its made, just to be on the safe side. Just means more work now :(

RB 182 Cup
Update

Spent the whole day on the car today...

Didn't get anything like as much done as I wanted. Its funny how everything takes 2 or 3 times longer than you think it should!

Started by taking the dash out. Was a monumental pain in the ass, but got it out in the end. Sorry for the lack of photos of this stage, but I was swearing at the car too much to take pics as well! :mad:

To get the dash out, I removed the wiper regulator, engine bay to dash loom connector, heater panel (didn't need to do this in the end though, steering wheel, steering column switches, steering column, dash bolts (8 iirc), the 2 earth points on each inner sill, and disconnected the door looms and left and right side rear looms. I then gave it a shove, a yelling too, and a few threats. It then pretty much fell out after breaking part of the heater box. I now know that as well as pulling the dash, you also have to lift. Arse.

I then cleaned up all the tar residue from the floor, which left this:

DSCF0434.jpg

DSCF0433.jpg

The afternoon was spent prepping and priming the rear cage, to match the front. As the guy I bought the cage from had it stored in his garage for around 18 months it had picked up some surface rust. It took 2.5 hours to do the front half, and today a further 3 to do the rear. I probably should have paid the money to get it sand blasted, as my time could have been better spent doing other things. Anyway, its done now:

DSCF0432.jpg

Probably won't get a chance to touch it until after Christmas now. Looking forward to those 3 days, going to be really hard work to get all the fabrication work, and all painted in the 3 days I have. Might take that long just to fit the cage!

Thanks for all the comments about the car and the thread, it keeps me going when working on the car becomes a nightmare, and also when I can't work on the car but want too! Cheers!

M

mini-valver

WTF have you done with all the loom, lol.

Cage looks good mate, you'll be glad you persevered with the dash when its done ;)

Clio 220 lpg
Looks a nice cage do you have door bars as they are needed. Also I would be adding a couple more cross over bars just to give it more strengh when you hit something hard from the side, as it is these accidents that hurt, seen plenty at event's with bad side impacts.:S

RB 182 Cup
WTF have you done with all the loom, lol.

Cage looks good mate, you'll be glad you persevered with the dash when its done ;)

Don't worry, the weight loss program isn't THAT extreme!

I took the dash out with the frame work and the loom still attached. I believe thats how they are put in.

RB 182 Cup
Looks a nice cage do you have door bars as they are needed. Also I would be adding a couple more cross over bars just to give it more strengh when you hit something hard from the side.

Yeah, door bars a harness bar, cage stiffeners and a couple of bits of triangulation are all to be added. I hope not to have to prove it all!

RB 182 Cup
Another update...

Spent the whole day on the car today. Wanted to get the main body of the cage in and welded. Pretty much did just that...

Started off bright and early, and after 10 mins with the air powered sealant stripper ended up with 2 areas where the main hoop boxes go:

DSCF0457.jpg

I then started removing some of the unwanted bracketery from the car, whilst waiting for my mate Dave to turn up with his Mig.

Shaped the rear seat mount, and ended up with this:

DSCF0463.jpg

Dave turned up at 11:30, and we started on the cage.

The rear cage went in with no trouble at all, and was test fitted to the tack welded boxes.
The front half was such a git to get in the car, we decided that it wasn't going to come back out. We then struggled like f**k to gt the front to line up, and after 45 minutes decided that the front cage was either for a different car, or mismanufactured. Everything looked right about it (bends and general size) but the front legs were an inch too long, plus the height of the boxes. After carefull consideration Dave cut an inch of the bottom of the front legs, and it all kind of fell in place. We then "Modified" the front boxes to use as plates to turn the bolt in cage into a weld in.

When all 6 points were tack welded in, and everything lined up, Dave set to work seam welding the lot in place. Meanwhile I trimmed down some rollcage stiffeners (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250337503777) and cleaned up the areas where they would be fitted. The plan was to cut the plates in half and use 2 on the main hoop to B pillar, and 2 on the front hoop to tie into the A pillar. As the cage was such a tight fit against the A pillar, the holes in the stiffener are too big, so I'm going to have a rethink tomorrow. Got the back ones in though:

DSCF0464.jpg

At the close of play, it all looked like this:

DSCF0458.jpg

DSCF0459.jpg

DSCF0460.jpg

DSCF0462.jpg

Obviously none of the welds have been tidied up, which will be one of tomorrows jobs, along with fitting the door bars, some triangulation, scallop out and fit a harness bar, remove some more bracketry........

More updates tomorrow!

RB 182 Cup
Update - Day 2

Another day of hard graft on the car, and it doesn't look like I've acheived much, but the fabrication takes 10 times longer than you think it should.

First job of the morning was to scallop out the tubing for the harness bar. This is an adition to the cage, and so unlike the door bars, didn't come pre done. Took bloody ages to make up the 2 pieces, and get them to fit right, but got there in the end.

DSCF0466.jpg

Next up we fitted the 2 bits of triangulation from the main hoop to roof bars, and one of the door bars. I then got busy with the tin snips and made up some plates to block up all the holes that they put into the floor at the factory.

After lunch it took until gone 6 to get the 4 seat rails made up and installed.

DSCF0468.jpg

DSCF0467.jpg

DSCF0469.jpg

So thats the bulk of the fabricating and welding done, with just the sill stands and the drivers door bar to go.

Next up I have to etch prime all the bare metal, then scotch up the surface so that the new paint sticks properly. Really not looking forward to that though. :(

RB 182 Cup
Just a small update, and no new photos I'm afraid...

But all the bloody welding has been completed! Woo hoo! :D

Didn't get anywhere near painting the inside though. Still need to clean it all up and then scotch up all the surfaces, then mask out and then paint. Next weekend maybe. ;)

Oh, and happy new year everyone! :cheers:

RB 182 Cup
UPDATE!

Well its been a while since my last update...

Things have been progressing slowly over the last couple of weeks, but nothing exciting. However, on Wednesday the car went in to the bodyshop to have the inside painted. :D

Prepped and masked, ready to be painted
DSCF0525.jpg

DSCF0529.jpg

DSCF0530.jpg

DSCF0527.jpg

DSCF0526.jpg

And the next morning, all done and de masked!

DSCF0531.jpg

DSCF0532.jpg

DSCF0533.jpg

DSCF0534.jpg

Working on the car tonight, putting it all back togeather. Hope to have the loom, dash and new OMP steering wheel in tonight, so that I can drive the car in and out of the workshop everyday rather than pushing it!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
anyone know why the pics are blocked for me? says 'blocked due to category criminal skills' (work pc)

every other photobucket pic works ok :(

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
looks awesome chap

you anything to do with / were anything to do with K&R auto's, or know the guys there? i was down there the other day and saw a wheel nuts thing

RB 182 Cup
you anything to do with / were anything to do with K&R auto's, or know the guys there? i was down there the other day and saw a wheel nuts thing

I know of Karl Broad there, through rallying. He competes in a 6R4, a mini and a 911. He wouldn't know me from Adam though!

Wheel Nuts used to be my company. Maybe the new owner does work for them?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I know of Karl Broad there, through rallying. He competes in a 6R4, a mini and a 911. He wouldn't know me from Adam though!

Wheel Nuts used to be my company. Maybe the new owner does work for them?

yeah i know karl and trasie, was down there the other week, the 6r4 is simply awesome, and saw the start up mini he was sorting too...not the 911 though.

real nice people, i remember you saying you were leaving / selling the company... you based in taunton then chap?