ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph-Quick Rally Car Build

RB 182 Cup
Yeah, sorry for the lack of updates...

Not really had much time to spend on the car recently. I have modified the dash to fit round the cage, and refitted it, and the dash loom so it runs again. :D

Just going to plod on and try and get it all put back togeather, but kind of need at least a whole day on it, to get my teeth into it.

I have ordered some seats though:

fotel-bimarco-futura_5091.jpg

Should be picking them up on the 1st. :)

340i
Same seats as JamesStone IIRC!

Loving the work... Sets the standard of what mine needs to be like!

RB 182 Cup
Same seats as JamesStone IIRC!

Loving the work... Sets the standard of what mine needs to be like!

Cheers matey! :D

Not sure about it setting standards though!

I just looked up James' road going project, and seen the seats. Glad they fit into a Clio. Was a bit worried they'd be too wide!

Seen your car on here too. Love blue ph1's!

RB 182 Cup
Update!

Another LOOOONG overdue update. May be I should change the thread title to Ph-Slow rally car build!

I haven't really been doing that much to the car over the last couple of weeks really. Too busy getting the Inferno up for sale, and sold. Its gone to its new owner now. :cry:

At least that means I can get back on with building the car...

Went to London last weekend, and collected the race seats. Really pleased with them, but they fit completely differently to the Sparco seat that I used to place the seat rails, so will probably need to make some mods here to get them exactly where I want them. Hope nothing needs re-welding, as I obviously don't want to burn off all that nice new paint!

DSCF0612.jpg

DSCF0608.jpg

DSCF0613.jpg

Controversially, picked up a set of Clio R3 rally car graphics off eBay. I realise that some will hate it, but the whole set cost £25, and covers some small dents on the roof from fitting the cage. Anyway, I like em! :rasp:

DSCF0603.jpg

DSCF0604.jpg

DSCF0606.jpg

Starting to look like a rally car now! Just got to get the door squares and mud flaps on to complete the "look"!

Final recent editions to the car are a suede OMP steering wheel, and a modified rear wiper blank.

DSCF0607.jpg

DSCF0614.jpg

Still got loads and loads to do...

This months pay packet is funding 10M of stainless steel braided fuel hose to run inside the car, a Lifeline plumbed in extinguisher, and 10M of copper brake pipe and fittings. Just got to find the time to work on the car!

RB 182 Cup
what have you used for the blank?

Filled with plastic filler, then fibreglass filler, then polyester filler, the painted with "Plasticote textured satin black" from a rattle can. Looks pretty factory, which is what I was after.

RB 182 Cup
Meh!

If ever there was a masively complicated way of doing something, thats usually how I would do it! Anyway, this mod is proven to take 0.6 sec of a lap of Brands indy circuit! :rasp:

340i
Meh!

If ever there was a masively complicated way of doing something, thats usually how I would do it! Anyway, this mod is proven to take 0.6 sec of a lap of Brands indy circuit! :rasp:

LOL!!

Usually my way of doing things "OTT" :quiet:

172 Race Car
The graphics make the boring silver look different, kind of breaks it up a bit. As its a rally car it will look good

M

mini-valver

One of our race cars uses the same graphics! Cup racer like but still, looks good!

RB 182 Cup
Back from the dead UPDATE!

Time to reserect the thread, before a pshycic is needed to revive it!

Spent 2 day over the bank holiday weekend on the car, and a few evenings between my last post and this one, and accomplished alot...

Applied the Renault Sport stripe to the offside, and both door cards:

DSCF0801.jpg

Took the door rubbing strips off and painted the section where the door square sits in gloss white.

Mounted the UCH in the now false glove box:

DSCF0805.jpg

Next job was to mount the 2 pull cables for the battery master switch and fire extinguisher:

DSCF0806.jpg

DSCF0807.jpg

Had to fit these through the retained heater box, which meant taking it right out and stripping it down. At least it meant I could remove the A/C matrix. Took the box out and back in 5 times before I was happy with it!

Next job was to modify the seat rails that I had welded in before it was all painted. There was no way around it, the MIG welder had to be used to burn all the nice new paint off, and weld in more metal. :(

Thought about it, and with some carefull planning and some demon fabrication, we managed to weld in 2 new bits of box section, without damaging much of the paint. The area was then primed and painted so that you would never know! When it was dry, I then bolted the seat in place:

DSCF0810.jpg

DSCF0811.jpg

With the seat in place and adjusted to suit, I could then mount the co drivers foot rest. Again, this took ages to fit correctly, as the floor is decidedly not flat! Got there in the end though:

DSCF0804.jpg

Next up, the dash centre... I had bought a small piece of Carbon sheet to use to replace the area where the radio and centre dash vents used to be. This area would then be used for the oil pressure guage, the hazard warning swith, the battery master switch, and the internal pull cable for the extinguisher system.

DSCF0802.jpg

Don't get too excited though. Only the pull cable works at present. Got to move the battery to the boot, and run new cables to the switch before the cutoff will work. Also need a sensor for the guage too.

Before I fitted the drivers seat back in, I then mounted the plumbed in extiguisher, and attached the 2 pulls. Still need to run the extinguishant lines to the pedal area, and to the engine bay though.

DSCF0803.jpg

How it stands now:

DSCF0800.jpg

Starting to look like a car again!

Cheers! :approve:

RB 182 Cup
Looking very good, but don't forget after a couple of rallies it won't look as pretty:eek:

I know. I'm going to be heartbroken the first time I damage it! As long as it starts off pretty thats the main thing! :p

I know that you rally your Clio in the forests rather than on tarmac, but what breaks on your car, or what have you had to beef up? Just wandering if there is anything I'm going to need in my spares.

RB 182 Cup
great work chap, really impressive, would be good to pop down at some point and have a look

No problems! PM me when you want to pop down Neil.

I hope to get it MOT'd and taxed again soon, so that I can complete a few road miles in it.

Clio 220 lpg
I know. I'm going to be heartbroken the first time I damage it! As long as it starts off pretty thats the main thing! :p

I know that you rally your Clio in the forests rather than on tarmac, but what breaks on your car, or what have you had to beef up? Just wandering if there is anything I'm going to need in my spares.

No our car is both tarmack and forest, and believe me some tarmack single venues are rougher than forests:dead:.
On the breakage piont it depends on how hard you push, I would see what breaks then ask me how to make it unbreakable:S. If I was to tell you what and how you would have to start building the car again;)

clio 1.4 rally car
check with a scutineer about your cage mountings as i have just finnished a historic spec sunbeam and welded my cage in like yours it was a bolt in one the same as yours he would not give the car a MSA logbook as the cage should have been bolted in and not welded :mad: so i had to drill and bolt the cage before he would log book it .yet my mk1 clio was no problem as the cage for that was a propper weld in one , also the seat rails should have mounting plates on the ends where they mount on the floor

sorry if this is bad news for you but i would hate to see you get the car (which looks mint by the way) finnished then get it knocked back on a log book and you have to pull it all apart again to correct it like i had to

Last edited:
  RB 182 Cup
check with a scutineer about your cage mountings as i have just finnished a historic spec sunbeam and welded my cage in like yours it was a bolt in one the same as yours he would not give the car a MSA logbook as the cage should have been bolted in and not welded :mad: so i had to drill and bolt the cage before he would log book it .yet my mk1 clio was no problem as the cage for that was a propper weld in one , also the seat rails should have mounting plates on the ends where they mount on the floor

Sounds like you had a right jobs worth of a scrutineer log book your car! I should be fine as this is the same as my last car, and the same guy will be log booking the new car. Won't be too much of a problem to add in the bolts anyway.

What do you mean about the seat rails? A strengthening plate on the floor where the seat rails join?

Thanks for the info.

RB 182 Cup
No our car is both tarmack and forest, and believe me some tarmack single venues are rougher than forests:dead:.
On the breakage piont it depends on how hard you push, I would see what breaks then ask me how to make it unbreakable:S. If I was to tell you what and how you would have to start building the car again;)

I know what you mean... I did a single venue at Keevil airfield once, and it was so badly cut up in sections that some people were running on knoblies! I ended up ripping the exhaust clean off the car every stage. I just wanted to pack up and go home, but helpful marshalls kept retreiving my exhaust, and my pit crew kept welding the bloody thing back on!

I'm sure that a few things will snap, break, fail or just fall off on the first event (after all, it is a Renault! ;)) and I'll tap you up then for some insider knowledge!

clio 1.4 rally car
Sounds like you had a right jobs worth of a scrutineer log book your car! I should be fine as this is the same as my last car, and the same guy will be log booking the new car. Won't be too much of a problem to add in the bolts anyway.

What do you mean about the seat rails? A strengthening plate on the floor where the seat rails join?

Thanks for the info.

yes mate you need to weld a plate to the tunnel and the innercill where the rails are going i made mine about 1"bigger alround than the rails weld them in then weld the rails to them (abit like the cage mountings)

Clio 220 lpg
yes mate you need to weld a plate to the tunnel and the innercill where the rails are going i made mine about 1"bigger alround than the rails weld them in then weld the rails to them (abit like the cage mountings)
Yes I agree mine has a small plate on the sill side, just cut a peice and simply weld round to make it look right, can't see it falling.

clio 1.4 rally car
Yes I agree mine has a small plate on the sill side, just cut a peice and simply weld round to make it look right, can't see it falling.

you need them on both sides of the rail now also if its not logbooked yet you will need fia dated seats and clear safety film on the side glass(like window tint but clear) all these came in on 1/1/2009 for new build cars

RB 182 Cup
you need them on both sides of the rail now also if its not logbooked yet you will need fia dated seats and clear safety film on the side glass(like window tint but clear) all these came in on 1/1/2009 for new build cars

FIA spec fuel sampling drain too. :(
Pisses me off as I'm never going to do an FIA event, so why the fcuk do I need an FIA fuel drain?! Not like many MSA events have fuel testing facilities! :mad:

The seats are brand new and FIA approved. Wouldn't have bought anything else. I also knew about the window film. Not sure wether to film the standard glass, or replace with perspex. Pros and cons to both. :S

Think I'm going to try and get the car log booked as is at the moment, and see if I can get it through. If not, I will have to burn more paint, and weld the plates on.

clio 1.4 rally car
FIA spec fuel sampling drain too. :(
Pisses me off as I'm never going to do an FIA event, so why the fcuk do I need an FIA fuel drain?! Not like many MSA events have fuel testing facilities! :mad:

The seats are brand new and FIA approved. Wouldn't have bought anything else. I also knew about the window film. Not sure wether to film the standard glass, or replace with perspex. Pros and cons to both. :S

Think I'm going to try and get the car log booked as is at the moment, and see if I can get it through. If not, I will have to burn more paint, and weld the plates on.

had glass in my clio ,just bought an astra with perspex in, going to take it out and put glass in or at least in the doors right pain in the ar*e with sliders in i dont have to put film on mine as already logbooked (well i do in 2012)

RB 182 Cup
Little update:

Won some FK coil overs from eBay on the cheap. Been told that they are FK Highsports:

temp.jpg

One of the inserts is buggered and needs replacing, but thats ok as I only bought them for the bodies. Going to try and replace them with Bilstein inserts instead, but if that doesn't work I can always get a pair of new FK inserts for £185 all in. Are they any good?

Going to get some new longer springs too, to get rid of the helper springs. Don't need them to go super low anyway. What spring rates would people who compete in their Clios recommend? The car will only be used for single venue tarmac events, and I try to steer clear of anything too rough!

Any help will be greatfully received!
icon10.gif

Clio 220 lpg
Little update:

Won some FK coil overs from eBay on the cheap. Been told that they are FK Highsports:

temp.jpg

One of the inserts is buggered and needs replacing, but thats ok as I only bought them for the bodies. Going to try and replace them with Bilstein inserts instead, but if that doesn't work I can always get a pair of new FK inserts for £185 all in. Are they any good?

Going to get some new longer springs too, to get rid of the helper springs. Don't need them to go super low anyway. What spring rates would people who compete in their Clios recommend? The car will only be used for single venue tarmac events, and I try to steer clear of anything too rough!

Any help will be greatfully received!
icon10.gif
Do you know what the springs are now?

RB 182 Cup
Do you know what the springs are now?

Not sure... About 200?

at a guess 250 tend to run 350 on mk1 track cars

That seems really high. A mate of mine was running 240's on his Corsa rally car.

Just looked up the Renault Sport parts, but being french they are metric...

Ragnotti Gp N : 6Kg
Clio Cup Rally : 5.5Kg
Super 1600 : 5.5Kg

I'm guessing that they are measured in KG per Cm?

Doesn't look like the Bilstein inserts will fit... Diameter of Bilstein insert is smaller than the FK's. Would mean getting a sleeve machined to fit them, which won't be cost effective. :(

How good are FK's?

alien green rs133
Not sure... About 200?

That seems really high. A mate of mine was running 240's on his Corsa rally car.

Just looked up the Renault Sport parts, but being french they are metric...

Ragnotti Gp N : 6Kg
Clio Cup Rally : 5.5Kg
Super 1600 : 5.5Kg

I'm guessing that they are measured in KG per Cm?

Doesn't look like the Bilstein inserts will fit... Diameter of Bilstein insert is smaller than the FK's. Would mean getting a sleeve machined to fit them, which won't be cost effective. :(

How good are FK's?

^from what i have seen they are ok to lower car and thats about it tbh :dead: