ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH ugly sport vs 106 GTI

2005 Clio 182
If your confident in your clio and drive it hard you will get past 106gti's and vts's as i found out at rockinham raxeway one was caged aswell lol

120d M Sport
I also watched quite a few 106 gti's pass Clios on track at Rockingham. Granted, some were heavily modded, others however just had the usual induction, manifold, exhaust etc.

Audi A3
Yeah nice one phil, hardly incorrect answers just people's opinions, you can't **** off people's opinions if you've only skimmed over the posts. What makes your opinion the bible? That's right, it's not

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Sorry mate - I did skim through the thread looking at the usual r****d answers lol

Have you ever driven a 106? Below 5k you might as well get out and walk lol

I have aye, it was 133bhp so a fairly good 'un.

As good as they are the Clio is ​the better car.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
So did i..

S10509422.jpg

Last edited:

Si

RS Clio 172
I loved my 106 but only because it felt like a go-kart and sounded incredible. Other than that it was like it was made out or mechano and the breaks are soooooooooooooooooooo awful.

ph1s are generally cheaper than a tidy 106 gti so it really is a no brainer imo. Clios are made of cheese but they're far better built.

Lol Dannys had a GTI and a VTS! I agree about the 5k comment though...some days I'm in the mood for it and it feels great, others it can be a bit tiresome.

Does the Clio have a fair bit more noticeable torque on tap then, lower down the rev range?

Yes - definitely
The biggest thing I noticed was if you slow for a corner in the 106 it takes a while to get the power back coming out
The clio out of a corner is a lot quicker - the torque of the 2litre really helps

Yeah nice one phil, hardly incorrect answers just people's opinions, you can't **** off people's opinions if you've only skimmed over the posts. What makes your opinion the bible? That's right, it's not

I own 106owners.co.uk and drive a Clio 172
I had a 106 for 8+ years

I'd say that makes me fairly qualified?

I have aye, it was 133bhp so a fairly good 'un.

As good as they are the Clio is ​the better car.

I just disagree I'm afraid

Standard for standard the 106 has better handling and the clio has more power. It's whatever you make of them to be honest

The clio has boat loads more potential though and once you sort out the shite suspension setup as standard - awesome awesome car.
I wouldn't go back to a 106 now

Nope that just makes your opinion equal to everyone else's that have owned/driven both

So everyone else has 8 years owners experience, 5 years of running a technical forum based purely on 106's, has organised 2 show's specifically for 106's, been to over 20 track and quarter mile days specifically for 106's? And on top of that has stripped to the nuts and bolts 3 seperate 106's and built a 110+bhp 8v as well as tuning 16v's?

Obviously if someone who owned a 106 for a few months says it's not as good as a clio - who the f**k am I to argue?

I see your point!! *sigh*

Also I'm sorry but you said 106's were better handling and clio's were faster in a straight line - I agree with that
The people I was having a go at are the "106's are s**t - clios are awesome" crowd - so ermmm why are you being an arse?

Audi A3
Granted that's a lot of 106 experience you have. That just means you have more of an opinion but it still is only one opinion and I feel it's wrong of you to say everyone else's is sh*t, wouldn't you agree?

I hate you si - from the very bottom of my boxer shorts

;)

Granted that's a lot of 106 experience you have. That just means you have more of an opinion but it still is only one opinion and I feel it's wrong of you to say everyone else's is sh*t, wouldn't you agree?

Nope - Every month there's a 106 vs clio thread. A few people know the differences and post logically. Then a load of people post "clio would waste a standard 106"
It's utter toss - even statistically. In a straight line a clio has an edge with the extra torque - but on corners a 106 has the edge with better suspension and lighter.
END OF

Opinions are one thing and fact is another.
I could have an opinion that CRT monitors are better than LCD monitors. That's an opinion - but it's wrong.

I'm not stating "an opinion" about 106 v clio - I'm stating a statistical fact. And that's it. Close thread. Good night

Disastra Coupe
As said many times already. For a daily, the Clio is the better car. The Saxo/106 is more fun but the Clio is definitely the better car.

Personally, if i wanted a track car - i'd but the GTI/VTS. If i wanted a daily - i'd buy the Clio.

As said many times already. For a daily, the Clio is the better car. The Saxo/106 is more fun but the Clio is definitely the better car.

Personally, if i wanted a track car - i'd but the GTI/VTS. If i wanted a daily - i'd buy the Clio.

Just not a cup ;)

The air con, cruise control etc.. of the 172 pisses all over the poverty spec 106's
But to be honest the 172cup is about as basic and rattly as my old GTi lol

Disastra Coupe
Reading through this a bit more and i'm going to confirm what the intelligent people on here have said.

Yes, 106 is the better handling car in stock form. The steering is a lot more positive and give's a shed load more feedback.

Clio is quicker in stock form in a straight line but let's face it, neither are rocket ships.

Disastra Coupe
Just not a cup ;)

The air con, cruise control etc.. of the 172 pisses all over the poverty spec 106's

Haven't driven a Cup so i'll have to raise my hand's to that one, i didn't really think about the Cup :)

Reading through this a bit more and i'm going to confirm what the intelligent people on here have said.

Yes, 106 is the better handling car in stock form. The steering is a lot more positive and give's a shed load more feedback.

Clio is quicker in stock form in a straight line but let's face it, neither are rocket ships.

Most sensible post EVAR.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I am shocked to see that people think the 106 gives better steering feedback.

The only feedback I got was from the seat of my pants as the back end started to slide.

Mine felt totally numb compared to the 172.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Just not a cup ;)

this is where the opinions get mixed up. i had probably one of the freshest 172cups going 26k miles and didnt get 1 fault or rattle (except the centre console every now and again) ive drove other CS and none have compared until my 182cup with equal low millage.
my 106 gti on the other hand had 90k on chasis and 70k on the engine so it was never going to feel as good as any of my CS because it cost 1k vs 6k and 7k.

but in one comment you say the pug suspension is better because it can go around corners faster. id say the extra cornering was due to the lack of weight not actual better suspension. and thats low speed cornering, high speed cornering i think the 106 lacks actual ability, maybe due to the small tyres i dont know but a clio (again not a great high speed cornering car) feels 100% more planted and happy to do it and not feel like youre going past the cars abilities.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
the 106 is a more nervous car. The Clio has that little bit more compliant rear. The 106 has small damper movement to wheel ratio which means its not as effective at controlling the traction over bumps. Its something like a 1:4 ratio. The Clio is 1:1
Both turn in well but the extra weight of the overall car and the 2.0 engine is key to its disadvantage on a corner. In reality on the road I doubt theres anything really in it.
Theres a multitude of things that can be changed and made better on both cars. Neither came out the factory at the best they could be

1eight2
You could always do what I'm doing... Clio as a daily driver and a VTS (106) as a track car! Best of both worlds.

106's seem to have hiked scene tax on them even the quiksilvers are more expensive than a VTS!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I own a pretty modified Trophy, that i have adapted to make more 'fun' for trackdays.

In fact, it is now considerably better than before, why?

Because it handles more like my 2 x 106gti's and saxo vts.

As a daily, the clio is better, but as my car is not a daily, i wish i hadnt sold the saxo. I wish this most days in fact.

Most. Fun. Ever.

DSC02720.jpg

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I own a pretty modified Trophy, that i have adapted to make more 'fun' for trackdays.

In fact, it is now considerably better than before, why?

Because it handles more like my 2 x 106gti's and saxo vts.

As a daily, the clio is better, but as my car is not a daily, i wish i hadnt sold the saxo. I wish this most days in fact.

Most. Fun. Ever.

DSC02720.jpg

but deep down you know that if you did it all again you should buy a 205 and then wonder why you had the Saxo :p

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
but deep down you know that if you did it all again you should buy a 205 and then wonder why you had the Saxo :p

Ha ha, well yes, would have loved to have been around in the era when 205's actually worked on the 1st turn of the key, but even im not that old :rasp:

The T looks awesome in that pick Dave - thats your old one right?

Yeah, thats the 1st one, day i bought it iirc. Luke on here owns it now ...

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Hi. You'll be pleased to know it's still going strong Dave :D