ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 becoming very cheap now. Any potentially expensive faults on their way?

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
Sorry that this overlaps slightly with a couple of thread in this section at the moment.

Ph1 172s seem to be below £3k in some instances now, even nice looking ones with modest mileage.

Most of these are starting to get a little old now, maybe 8yrs...

Are there any potentially expensive things that could likely occur at this age??

Thanks

'51, 172
steering and brakes stop working simaltaneously on your way home from work, you crash into your house, killing the family and causing £100,000+ worth of damage as you decided not to pay the home insurance so you could afford to buy that phase1 172 that you liked

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
Belts are something I'll be looking out for.

There was one on here for £2300 I think. Weren't they twice that last year?

On Autotrader there are plenty not much more then £3k either.

Strange.

Theres one on here at £2k. The cheapest ones tend to need some things doing but there are some bargains to be had. What gets me is how much people are still asking for early ph2 172s when late ph1s are so cheap!

BMW M135i
Theres one on here at £2k. The cheapest ones tend to need some things doing but there are some bargains to be had. What gets me is how much people are still asking for early ph2 172s when late ph1s are so cheap!
Thats a certain degree of "the pricing world according to cliosport" and its stupid lowness in a lot of cases. You look in autotrader and they're not half so cheap.

Turbo'd lude, Astra
I bought the phase 1 in the for sale section, went and picked it up yesterday.... it didn't skip a beat the whole way back and that was a 8 hour drive!

I paid £2200 in the end, only think that beeds sorting is a tiny patch of rust on the drivers rear arch, thats getting done this week, and a wheel bearing.

Bargain in imo, i sold my williams and paid a extra £200 for a car which is alot nicer, more refined and a better car as a daily driver.

I took the chance and paid Gerry without seeing the car, and im glad i did tbh, as it wouldn't of been there long if i hadn't put the deposit on the car.

Thats a certain degree of "the pricing world according to cliosport" and its stupid lowness in a lot of cases. You look in autotrader and they're not half so cheap.

I'm keeping a very close eye on autotrader as once I have sold my putno I will be buying a 172, and they ARE as cheap outside of "the pricing world according to cliosport". For a ph2 on here OR on autotrader, as similar age and mileage etc as you can get, you are talking nearly £2k more every time

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Danny is it a ph1? If so the belts were due years ago!

Phase 1, 172 with 44k.

I got it all done last week (ive only just taken ownership of it) And yes the belts should have been done in 2006, this is a testimony as to why women should not be allowed to own cars.
I just spent £620 getting the cars belts, service, bearings the lot.

She runs sweet as a nut!

53 Clio's & counting
i paid just over 2k for mine last march,with 98k fsh 3 owners from new,now on 114k,and runs far better than a french car has any right to lol,interior doesnt even rattle!

ph1s are 'better' due to their cheapness. That means more kiddys that live with their mummy and daddy can just about afford to run one imo. There are more keen ph1 owners on here due to that who tell you how great they are. Doesnt seem to be the same on other forums.

(dons flame suit)

53 Clio's & counting
ph1s are 'better' due to their cheapness. That means more kiddys that live with their mummy and daddy can just about afford to run one imo. There are more keen ph1 owners on here due to that who tell you how great they are. Doesnt seem to be the same on other forums.

(dons flame suit)

cirtainly not going to flame matey lol but can you exlpain in a lil more detail?

would the car not be as great if you didnt live at home? :)

I think over the years its happened to all the RS clios. There was a time when the majority of people on here thought valvers where the best think since sliced bread, same with all the mk1s. The opposite thing happened when the 197 first came out. It was hated by all who had 1*2s because its slower etc etc. Now a couple of people have them they are now picking up in popularity. Go back a year/18 months and try and find a decent review by someone who had a 182 at the time.

The mk1 seems to be favoured by people on here because its not fly buy wire and lighter than a ph2. I get the feeling its because there are alot of owners here even though on paper the 172 ph2 is a better car, like the 182 is arguably better than the 172 variants. Its abit like the 172ff vs 172cup arguement its all down to driver preference and cost.