ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Mondello International

172 Race Car
Nice vid. Looks like a great circuit for a Clio

Nice brown trouser moment also

Last edited:
  Octavia vRS tfsi
Cheers, some info on how the day felt is . . .

I was out in Mondello today for the morning session on the full International circuit. Today was the first VIP trackday in the 2008 season.

mondellomap_2006.jpg

Mondello International

As the old cliché goes, I would consider myself an average driver. Certainly no god but similarily certainly not sloppy or ragged either. I have many of the finer techniques nailed (when not under pressure, bit more practice needed at times), trail braking, trailing throttle, heel toe, throttle modulation, some left foot braking etc.

Today was my first eperience on track, proper track and the 'fast road' set up in the car was woefully exposed as being completely inadequate. It didn't help that the track was quite greasy, it drizzled around 11.30, and never really gave up some grip untill later on in the afternoon session, which I was not a paid driver for - just car hopping.

Right, what was wrong. The tyres, TOYO Proxe T1-R. I love them on the road. Have never had an issue with them, They're great in the dry and more than adequate as I don't particularly venture into 8, 9, 10 tenths zone in the wet, ever. Admittedly the set that are on the car are finished. They're to the markers and are going in the bin over the next few weeks. Had Mondello been dry today it would have finished them and I'd be on for a new set this week.
As much as I'd love to try the R888, the car will get tracked once in a blue moon, so they're pointless. My other options for a good compromise are the GSD3, which are fine A) if you can get them and B) if the ones you actually find are E marked. Bar the TOYO what else is out there, Prada Spec II? What sort of lifetime have they? I've gotten 6-7k from the T1R, at €75 from Eiretyres that mileage is very acceptable.

Secondly, brakes. The brakes were woefull. There's Ktec fast road disks and Ktec Kevlar pads (which someone at some point told me were only rebranded greenstuff?). Brake hoses, no problem, they're braided. Brake fluid, no problem, at DOT 5.1 it won't boil in a hurry. Again, admittedly, for the first few sessions as I was testing the greasy surface, learning the track and trying to hook some of the lines - some of which are very tricky on Mondello - I cooked the pads. They were STINKING. Horrible acrid smell.
What are my replacements though, DS2000s, Pagid Blue... maybe even Carbone Lorraine at a push though the sparking issue really turns me off them.

Are there stiffer ARBs on the market for the Clio? Will a strut brace actually provide benifet or compromise the car more in terms of understeer?

The car is lowered 40mm on Apex springs. They're fine, a bit crashy but were on the car when I got it. I've no interest in pouring money into coilovers etc that I'll never see back. I'm in the process of sorting the breathing also with one of these Espace V6 airbox/ Clio Cup airbox's.

Overall I don't think I was the slowest on track, though by far and away I was the most ordinary car! I struggled through Honda and Stenna Line getting the power down. Very late apex on Honda in 2nd and your holding half throttle through Stenna Line for while. I also struggled with the weight transfer on Birranes Bends and again, getting the power down on the exit run to Devaneys. Of the cars I was on pace with - S1 Elise Sport 135, Caterham 1.4 and s14a 200sx, these were the three corners where I was losing most ground while picking it back up through Lola and Bikeworld.
Why was I only on par with three other cars? Well, when the rest of the morning session was made up of e36/ e46 M3s, 996/997 GT3's, a current Porsche Cup car and Westfields... my 172hp to the front wheels on a damp track was going to make it difficult!

Had two mishaps, first was after about 4 laps in the morning, I out-braked myself coming into 7a, straightened up and drove in and out of the gravel trap in front. Second mishap was on the last lap of the morning session. Entering the dogleg just before turn three, I took a line too shallow, tiredness maybe getting the better of me as I was fine through there all day. The quintessential 'what not to do' came next. Wet, flat in third, too shallow, turn in, yes, that'll lead to a 70mph handfull of lift off oversteer and a large spin down the track! Have it on camera, should have it online midweek. Good day out though.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=300490